Riptide Ulterra

Seanote

I ran out of gas the other day about a half mile from the landing and trolled in at 4 mph and had plenty of power left after fishing it all day. You never know when too much power is just right!

slow motion

The box has been opened and taped back together. The only paperwork inside the box was directions to install the heading assembly. So far I know I'm missing the prop nut but without a parts list not sure what else. Gotta look for an 800 number for Minnkota see what to do now. Thanks FedEx .......... NOT!!!

slow motion

Prop nut appears to be installed on the motor already. Just have to remove it and the temporary spacer. Then install prop. Have to install the heading sensor somewhere on the boat. Thought it was already in the motor itself. Have to determine where to put it to function and still be out of the way. Can't be near metal or wiring. Good problems though.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I mounted my heading sensor up front in center of boat next to trolling motor. No problem so far.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ll say that but being boat is aluminum there’s no where on the boat that’s not metal.

slow motion

I’ll say that but being boat is aluminum there’s no where on the boat that’s not metal.
Actually it states not near ferrous metal so aluminum is okay I guess.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Been wanting a Riptide Ulterra for a while now. The auto stow and deploy really interests me as I am usually by myself and have to face the fact that my balance isn't what it once was. If there was a 12 volt option I would have already had one. It's the weight of 2 more batteries that I don't want. I believe my little skiff would be fine with less thrust. Though when was less power the answer to anything. Online reviews have several complaints about issues with the stow and deploy function. Believe it to be more of an isolated thing but wondering what others experience might be. Also is there something specific to aid in not having those issues. Wash down well but what else? Maybe spray with a waterproofing agent? Definitely getting one shortly just would like some real world feedback.

My powerdrive literally fell off the front of my boat last Wednesday night. Thing went beserk turning 180 degrees at high speed and broke the mounting bolts (it was on a quick disconnect with only 4 thru bolts). I couldn't get it unplugged quick enough and it would not shut off....dang near drug me over the side in 30 feet of water in the dark by myself LOL....exciting stuff for a few seconds.

I am in the market now for sure...I wouldve bought an Ulterra last year but could not get one. I am leaning toward the Terrova though.....the ulterra seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.

I was guaranteed a September 10 delivery date Sunday by Minn Kota on either motor. 24 volt, 54-60 inch shaft. Of course they don't offer any kind of discount if it is not delivered by then but I also talked to a local dealer who told me Friday that they were getting them in 3-4 weeks on the regular right now so maybe they have some of the issues resolved....

I want the Ulterra but I am very put off at the idea of it staying in the shop for months during fishing season. Going to decide in the next couple of days.....

slow motion

My powerdrive literally fell off the front of my boat last Wednesday night. Thing went beserk turning 180 degrees at high speed and broke the mounting bolts (it was on a quick disconnect with only 4 thru bolts). I couldn't get it unplugged quick enough and it would not shut off....dang near drug me over the side in 30 feet of water in the dark by myself LOL....exciting stuff for a few seconds.

I am in the market now for sure...I wouldve bought an Ulterra last year but could not get one. I am leaning toward the Terrova though.....the ulterra seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.

I was guaranteed a September 10 delivery date Sunday by Minn Kota on either motor. 24 volt, 54-60 inch shaft. Of course they don't offer any kind of discount if it is not delivered by then but I also talked to a local dealer who told me Friday that they were getting them in 3-4 weeks on the regular right now so maybe they have some of the issues resolved....

I want the Ulterra but I am very put off at the idea of it staying in the shop for months during fishing season. Going to decide in the next couple of days.....
I had/have the same concerns but decided to take a chance as everybody I know who has one is happy with it. Don't know anybody who's unhappy. So maybe it's as the saying goes if you're happy with something you tell your friends. Unhappy and you tell everybody.

slow motion

By the way that's the stuff you wish you could've had on video. I'm reminded of the movie "Maximum Overdrive".

GTMODawg

BANNED
By the way that's the stuff you wish you could've had on video. I'm reminded of the movie "Maximum Overdrive".

It was kind of skeery LOL.....Someone told me Sunday evening their power drive did the same thing to them but they managed to get it unplugged. If you own one probably not a bad idea to check the mounting from time to time....especially on a quick mount.

slow motion

I've got the outer part of the quick release bracket mounted to the trolling motor base. Wife gets home in a few minutes. Truck's loaded and we will head to the South Coast and try and install this thing on the boat. Who knows night get done in time to try it out. Even if I don't it beats working.

slow motion

Sometimes you have to do something drastic.

IMG_20210828_121939_039.jpg

IMG_20210828_122410_752.jpg

Gotta make a plate and escutcheon. Don't know where to pick up any Starboard so a piece of cutting board should take care of it.

slow motion

Yeah it hurt me but no access underneath. Could have made a hole just big enough for the wire and used bolts with expanding rubber sleeves but it would have raised the center of the mount up and I wouldn't have had to create a bushing to go underneath the removeable part of the mount. I think this will work better once I get an access plate made and in place.
Still have to mount the battery boxes and finish running the wire but I did rig it temporarily and try it out. Happy with it so far.

IMG_20210828_142342_957.jpg

slow motion

Still a little bit to finish up but me and the wife had to get some food. Leatherbacks and fries from Cooters Stew Cafe.IMG_20210828_181949_565.jpg

Latest posts