Ruger AR 556 or SW MP 15 Sport II

OK, I'll be absolutely no help at all---I have both and like both. Either one you walk out the door with will serve you well. Someone will nitpick the differences but at the end of the day, nada.

M77 Ruger

I just went through this same thing. I choose the Ruger because it has a 1:8 twist. I just preferred it over the smith. I am a Ruger fan so I might be bias. Don't think you could go wrong with either

Khondker

I have the SW one, it is great, get one and you will not be sorry, don't know anything about the Ruger one though.

georgia_home

I have an m&p and love it. Reliable. Accurate from the box and just runs well with brass or cheap metal ammo.

I wouldn't hesitate or knock on a ruger, I have a ruger pistol, but the Smith was just what I liked better when buying.

Baroque Brass

Also have the S&W, fired lots of rounds through it with nary a problem, although I've only fired brass case ammo. Topped with a Vortex Crossfire II scope it's a great shooter.

rjcruiser

I'll throw a different wrench into the equation. Get a Palmetto State Magpul Blem full lower for $150 (yes, they're on sale right now) and a PSA Freedom upper with bolt carrier group for around $300ish and put the two together. Then, if you still have $$ left over, get a Geissele SSA-E trigger for $200 and you've got a very nice AR for sub $700.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You won't go wrong with either the S&W, Ruger, or the PSA that RJcruiser mentioned. All are good rifles. I have put together two from PSA so far, and love 'em.

trial&error

I have seen parts marked as fitting the Ruger 556 that were nonstandard AR parts. I have never held one and am unsure if the rest of the parts are unique. Just something to verify if that matters to you.

Darien1

I have two of the Smith's but they are the original version. I bought the Ruger for post Hillary investment and it's never left the box. I have another Smith Sport 1 in the box for the same reason. I have a Bushmaster that I paid about $1000 for and a Colt 6920. I keep an AR in my trunk when I am away from home like I am now and the one I choose to carry is my Smith MP15 I. I trust it and it's accurate.

Offroadtek

No bad options. If you have a special affection for either brand choose that one, if you want an accurate AR for a good price PSA is hard to beat.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
These are really coming down...get one of each!
Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II-Flat Dark Earth:
https://www.keelyarms.com/product_p/sw_10301.htm

Ruger AR-556 Cerakote-Barrett Brown:
https://www.keelyarms.com/product_p/rug_8503.htm

Delivered pricing...

Take note that both of these, being a Davidson's Gallery of Guns exclusive have a lifetime free replacement warranty through the distributor. FWIW, The AR-556 is cerakoted upper/lower and stock... The Smith and Wesson appears only the stock.

Northwestretriever

Get the Smith

MCBUCK

I appreciate the responses and advice.
PSA may be good, but was never an option.
I went with the SW. As soon as I get it out to the pasture and shoot, I'll let ya know how it shoots.

panther arms

DPMS $449 and some change.

I know, I know....great starter gun...

well 2 weeks ago I had a shoot at my range. Out of 13 shooters, all with by-pods, save 2, a couple from Jacksonville Fla. they shot with a sling.

Yep, he shot a SAR and she shot a DPMS .....she shot with everybody, at every range ..... measured out to 400 yrds......No measurement given on the powerline (585 yrds long shot) and she never missed a beat. Carbine

steel....(ping) (ping) (ping)....ya feel me! heck, I just thought I could shoot!

So, I say you can spend all that you want or as little as you want and still play pretty well.

s&r