See ya Brice Ramsey

across the river

Well.... Duh... Of course Smart is still recruiting him. That's what coaches do! Especially in the state of GA. They try to keep the talent in the state.

So, you are telling me that Hunter Johnson and Kelly Bryant are going to beat out Lawrence for the job at QB for Clemson? :rofl::rofl:

They will both start their 1st season before the season ends as long as they don't get hurt before going to college. I'll make ANY wager on that with you!

There is NO WAY they would start a game at UGA for a minimum of 2 years at UGA..

I love all of you arm chair coaches and how you give Smart crap and say dumb things like "best thing he has done in recruiting this year and that's not good". Kirby is not a proven HC, but one thing that is proven, Kirby is one if the best recruiters in this country and for some guy on a GON forum to talk smack about his recruiting is well, silly. Gauging talent is what he gets paid millions to do and there is a reason you don't do that job and never have done that job and never will do that job.

A once every 5 year player? So, was that not said about Eason? And if Lawrence is so highly regarded as a QB, you really want to make that wager on him starting his freshman year? You are contradicting yourself from your 1st paragraph.. :pop:

I'm a UGA fan, but Lawrence is better than both of the QBs UGA currently has.

across the river

How do we know that?

There are multiple ways. The easiest is to go watch film on all of them. I'm sure you can find it all on hudl. Those are the best clips they have on each of them and it is pretty obvious that Lawrence as a junior is ahead of the other two as seniors, and it isn't close. Heck, pull up film on Deshaun Watson as a senior and Lawrence as a junior, and then tell me Lawrence doesn't look better than the guy who just went to two national championships did as a senior. Watson was and is very, very, good, don't get me wrong, but I saw both play in person, and Lawrence looked better in person too. If you don't want to do that, go read what actual scouts say. Pretty much any one you read will say he is well ahead of the curve for his age and has been since a sophomore. Add that to the fact that he has all the intangibles, a cannon arm, and a 6'6" frame to fill out, and there is a reason he is the #1 QB in an absolutely loaded class. Look, I'm not saying Eason and Fromm aren't talented, because they are. In terms of size and arm strength Eason is right there with him. However, this kid was further along as an overall qb as a sophomore than Eason was a senior season, and it doesn't take an NFL scout to see it. Some it may have possibly been the level of competition each was facing, but a lot of it is this kid is just that good. Like I said, I am a UGA fan, but all this Lawrence isn't going to UGA because Eason and Fromm are there is nonsense.

brownceluse

You can watch all the film you want but until Lawrence get's to college that's pure speculation. Lawrence is talented and has what it appears to be a very good college qb. But the game get's a lot faster and the schemes get more complex. He may very well turn out to be better than the two we have on roster right now but who knows? He may just be another hyped up recruit. As a UGA fan I'm more excited about the O line recruiting and the stable of RB's and from all accounts we'll end up with Zeus. If he lives up to the hype we'll be nasty down hill team and all we'll need is a game manager anyways. Bama has won a few NC with average qb's. No need to worry about losing a recruit and no need to worry this far away from NSD.

across the river

You can watch all the film you want but until Lawrence get's to college that's pure speculation. Lawrence is talented and has what it appears to be a very good college qb. But the game get's a lot faster and the schemes get more complex. He may very well turn out to be better than the two we have on roster right now but who knows? He may just be another hyped up recruit. As a UGA fan I'm more excited about the O line recruiting and the stable of RB's and from all accounts we'll end up with Zeus. If he lives up to the hype we'll be nasty down hill team and all we'll need is a game manager anyways. Bama has won a few NC with average qb's. No need to worry about losing a recruit and no need to worry this far away from NSD.

I didn't say I was worried about losing him. He went to Clemson in large part because the system is similar to what he has in high school which would ease the transition you speak about. It would in fact probably be more difficult for him to come to Georgia and have to learned to play under center, which has obviously been an issue for Eason. I was simply responding to the post where people were implying Lawrence wasn't coming to UGA because he didn't want to compete with Eason and Fromm who were better quarterbacks. That is absolutely crazy. Hunter Johnson is there now, who got the MVP in the army all american bowl over Fromm. Don't get me wrong, they are all good, but this kid is special, so I fill the need to set the record straight when people who have never seen him play start making comments. If he doesn't get hurt he will do big things at Clemson and beyond. Like I said in the other post, he is worlds ahead of where Eason was at this stage, and at the UGA people acted like he was going to lead them to the SEC championship his first year. I was not one of them, and unfortunately I don't see it happening this yer either. I'm not from Cartersville and have no loyalty to Lawrence by any means, but I give credit where credit is due. When a kid is on the field with plenty of "three and four star" recruits and he is the best player on the field by a looooooong shot, you give him the credit he deserves.

As far as the OL goes, they have some talent coming in, but unfortunately it is all inexperienced other than the JUCO guy.

Showtime

Banned
You can watch all the film you want but until Lawrence get's to college that's pure speculation.

This. Comparing these kids as they are on the field playing the role of big fish in the little pond is completely different than when they step on the field with all the other big fish.

deerhuntingdawg

This^^^^
Lawrence looked unreal against Thomson in the state championship game but big time college football ball is a different story no matter which college he ultimately signs with in December or February. I wish him all the best though! That hair is a trip!!

across the river

This. Comparing these kids as they are on the field playing the role of big fish in the little pond is completely different than when they step on the field with all the other big fish.

That isn't entirely true. If you are trying to predict how a three or four star kid all turns out, it isn't an exact science, I will give you that. Some pan out, some don't, and even not all of the five stars end up being contributors. However, if you go back and take the top 5 or even 10 "ranked" recruits each year, nearly 100% go on to perform at a high level, even in there freshman year. There are a then a few kids every year that are head and shoulders above everyone else, and they are almost certain to be good college players. Occasionally, you get a kid that grades out so high, he is ranked at the top of all of the high school recruits that have ever been ranked, and there is nearly a 100% chance they will be a star in college. Trevor Lawrence grades out in this very upper tier (as a sophomore mind you) with the likes of Vince Young and Jadeveon Clowney. We know how both of them turned out. There is a big difference between the very, very, best recruits, and everyone else. To throw them all into the same pot is foolish.

brownceluse

That isn't entirely true. If you are trying to predict how a three or four star kid all turns out, it isn't an exact science, I will give you that. Some pan out, some don't, and even not all of the five stars end up being contributors. However, if you go back and take the top 5 or even 10 "ranked" recruits each year, nearly 100% go on to perform at a high level, even in there freshman year. There are a then a few kids every year that are head and shoulders above everyone else, and they are almost certain to be good college players. Occasionally, you get a kid that grades out so high, he is ranked at the top of all of the high school recruits that have ever been ranked, and there is nearly a 100% chance they will be a star in college. Trevor Lawrence grades out in this very upper tier (as a sophomore mind you) with the likes of Vince Young and Jadeveon Clowney. We know how both of them turned out. There is a big difference between the very, very, best recruits, and everyone else. To throw them all into the same pot is foolish.

It's all just a wait and see. All college fb coaches want the blue chip players. They are playing the odds. The odds are in their favor on the 4 and 5 star players. That's the same reason a coach is all up on a 2 or 3 star raw player because there's something they see that they like about the player. Again nothing more than a cross your fingers and hope you were right. There's no exact science. The camps help but until they get out on the field with players with as much or more talent than them no one knows. I'm not trying to take away from Lawrence or Fromm or whoever but the both of them are nothing more than they looked great in HS let's hope it translates in college. Goes in the same boat as all great college players don't make it in the NFL. There are a lot of 2 and 3 stars in the NFL.:cheers:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Didn't this thread used to be about Brice Ramsey?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I'm a UGA fan, but Lawrence is better than both of the QBs UGA currently has.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And if you could predict the future, why aren't you a lottery winner? :pop:

So, you are telling me that a kid playing his senior season of high school football could take the field today and beat Eason out of his job?

brownceluse

So, you are telling me that a kid playing his senior season of high school football could take the field today and beat Eason out of his job?

I know your being funny but you are 100% correct.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I know your being funny but you are 100% correct.

I was being funny with my 1st sentence but I was dead serious about the 2nd. :cheers:

Some folks played football in little league and somehow think they actually know more about the game and recruiting then the folks that actually get paid to do it.

Fire this.. Fire that.. Bobo needs to go.. Richt has lost control of the program.. Blah.. Blah.. Blah...facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Mark Richt has lost control of Brice Ramsey and Browning Slayer.

Showtime

Banned
Some of the GON sports forum posters. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

bttf2_almanac_biffs_garage.jpg

across the river

I don't play the lottery. The odds are winning big are near 0%, it is completely random, and it is a fools way to spend money. I do, however, invest a good but of money in the stock market, real estate, and other investments. While I can't predict for certain how those investments will perform over the next several years, I can make educated decisions on where and where not to put time and money. I don't just go randomly putting money in any "investment". You don't win them all, but if you make educated decisions over time and have more winners than looser it usually turns out in your favor.

Similarly, college recruiting, scouting, and talent evaluation are about predicting, as well as possible, how the kid will perform in college. While evaluations aren't 100% by any means, you can pretty accurately predict who will perform well in college and who will not. Just look as the success rate of the 25 or so five stars every year. They tend to turn out pretty well. Better yet look at the top five 5 stars from the last 10 years and tell me how many didn't turn out to be good college players. They didn't randomly pick those five players out of all the kids playing in high school I can assure you of that. Why do you think the top programs go after the same kids. Anyone who would compare recruiting and the ranking system to the "lottery" shows how little they actually know about any of it.

As far as what I said, I never said Lawrence could come in and take the field over Eason now. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you start typing stuff. What I said was "this kid was further along as an overall qb as a sophomore than Eason was a senior season, and it doesn't take an NFL scout to see it." That statement is entirely true. Eason played in Washington state with a bunch of slow caucasians. While he had plenty of arm talent, he was unprepared for the speed at Georgia. If you watch him in the Army all american game, you could tell he was shell shocked. Shea Patterson walked out there like it was just another day and lit it up, but he had been at IMG for a year practice against essentially a college defense everyday. Not saying it was Eason's fault, but Lawrence plays in a much more competitive league than Eason did. I only brought the whole thing up, because you or someone else said Lawrence didn't come to Georgia, because he didn't want to sit behind Eason and Fromm. All things being equal, if Eason, Fromm, and Lawrence were all coming out of high school at the same time, Lawrence would be ranked ahead of the other two by a wide margin in terms of the"rankings". Again, I'm not saying Eason and Fromm aren't talented, I'm just saying Lawrence is better as a rising senior than they were, by a mile. Whether you believe that or not, makes no difference.
I'm off my rant. Go back to talking about Brice Ramsey, and good luck with you mega millions tickets.