Something To Consider If You Put Cameras Especially On "Public Lands" Etc.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have read several discussions on here about possibly putting trail cameras on various WMA and NF lands and wondering about the possibility of them being stolen.

I have had lots of trail cameras in the woods for about 10 years now so these are a few things that I have done on my cameras before I install them in the woods.

(1) Try to purchase various type of cameras with camouflage patterns.

(2) Then do this at HOME before installing in the woods. Actually take the time to install new batteries and set each one up according to your desired programming details.

(3) Try your best to match up these camo patterns to various type of trees that you plan on attaching them to.

For example, use more "Greyish" colored camo pattern to install on hardwood/oak, dark colored trees. Use more tan/dark and lighter brown colored camo patterns on pine trees. Use more greenish looking camo patterns on locations that are closer to the ground where there might be some small bushes and/or tall grass that might be close in proximity of the camera in that area.

(4) SUPER IMPORTANT) For real security purposes on public land, after putting the batteries and setting up the programming details, then check each camera AT HOME to see which light is the sensor light. Then make sure to put a 1" long piece of black electrical tape over the small window that shows the little red light when it senses the movement/heat that is activating the camera to take a photo. This way, a person entering the woods would not see that little red sensor light blinking right before the sensor light activated to take a photo as well.

By checking each camera this way at home first, it makes your cameras in the woods much more unlikely to be seen by others (including trespassers on your private land as well.)

OH, also when a photo is actually taken of a deer, person etc, the IR flash that happens in the dark last only about 1/100th of second in my opinion as I have tested several of my cameras this way. A person can be standing right in front of the camera and staring directly at the camera as hard as possible and move their arms/legs etc to create movement to see that "reddish" flash on your camera BUT WILL NOT SEE IT AT ALL but maybe 1 time out of 10 times. It DOES NOT light up the area (like a flashlight) as it appears to do on the actual photos that are taken and uploaded and shown on the computer.

I have tried all of these ideas above and hopefully they might help other trail camera users.

IN REFERENCE TO ITEM # 3 ABOVE, PLEASE LOOK AT THE PHOTO BELOW AND TELL ME, DO YOU SEE A CAMERA IN THE PHOTO BELOW. HERE IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF BUYING AND INSTALLING THE BEST COLOR CAMO ON A SIMILAR COLOR TREE.

OH, IF YOU CLICK ON THIS PHOTO, IT WILL ENLARGE IT TO FULL SCREEN ALSO FOR A BETTER LOOK.

T-CAM # 1            8-31-19 066.JPG

Last edited:

rosewood

rosewood

All IR flashes are not fast. I have seen several that will stay on for a couple of seconds.

Rosewood

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
One thing for sure, those two cameras are NOT EASY to spot because of the shaded areas etc and by using these darker camo cameras in selected areas, they tend to blend in rather well and it does make it much harder for others to see them even if they were trespassing. You could very easily walk right past them and never see them even during the daytime hours with bright sun or cloudy skies.

I still have some solid black 6 MP cameras in service and some of them have been working for over 6 years now. When they do fail, I will be replacing them with the newer style TRU-BARK HD camo pattern as 90 % of my cameras currently have this type pattern.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
All IR flashes are not fast. I have seen several that will stay on for a couple of seconds.

Rosewood

Over all of these 9 plus years, I have tested every IR camera before I put them in woods. I tested each one of them multiple times in my backyard at night after I had installed new batteries and programmed just as I wanted them to be. In every test, the actual "reddish glow" from the LEDs only last about 1/100th of a second in my opinion and it was super hard to even see it even though I was staring right at the camera as I was testing it from 10 feet away. These were ALL WGI Cameras that ranged from 5 MP up to 16 MP. (I did have one 22 MP NANO w/4 batteries etc that was a total PIECE OF JUNK and I scrapped it after 3 different tries). By far, the majority of my cameras have been 6, 8 and 10 MP's and they actually take much better photos that the newer higher MP cameras.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great tips , and I only seen one until someone else said 2 on the same tree , they do blend in good

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Great tips , and I only seen one until someone else said 2 on the same tree , they do blend in good
Yeah they do! Great tips by Eagle Eye!

rosewood

Over all of these 9 plus years, I have tested every IR camera before I put them in woods. I tested each one of them multiple times in my backyard at night after I had installed new batteries and programmed just as I wanted them to be. In every test, the actual "reddish glow" from the LEDs only last about 1/100th of a second in my opinion and it was super hard to even see it even though I was staring right at the camera as I was testing it from 10 feet away. These were ALL WGI Cameras that ranged from 5 MP up to 16 MP. (I did have one 22 MP NANO w/4 batteries etc that was a total PIECE OF JUNK and I scrapped it after 3 different tries). By far, the majority of my cameras have been 6, 8 and 10 MP's and they actually take much better photos that the newer higher MP cameras.

I have a IR security cam aimed right at my game camera on a tree in my backyard looking at a feeder. I can watch it come on and go off when the deer stand in front of it. Guess it is because it is on multi-shot, so the IR stays on until the last pic is taken.

Rosewood

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Here are a few more photos that can show just how important that it is to do your best to try and camouflage your cameras based on the camo pattern on the camera and the color appearance of the tree. I have used these same camera locations for about 9 plus years now too. If your were a trespasser, you could easily walk right past these camera locations and never see them.

The first three photos has one camera looking at you in each photo and the last photo has two cameras on the same Hickory tree looking at you. The shadows on this tree do an excellent job of camouflaging these two cameras. The camera that you see in the first three photos actually took the fourth photo.

So far, on all of the photos that I have shown, I have been able to download direct from the memory cards and then uploaded directly onto this GON website without having to resize any photos and that makes things much easier. Honestly, if I didn't know that some of these cameras were located on a certain tree, it would be very hard for me to find them also, especially during certain times of the day based on the sun and shadows that are created etc.

Just CLICK on each photo and it should enlarge to full screen for much easier viewing.

T-CAM # 1 IS-S            9-4-17 196.JPGT-CAM # 1 IS - 1            12-2-17 008.JPGT-CAM # 1 IS-S - 1            8-5-18 013.JPGT-CAM # 1 IS - S - 3            5-5-18 062.JPG

Last edited:

rosewood

Love that last pic. Mommie, wait up...these little legs don't move so fast yet.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Love that last pic. Mommie, wait up...these little legs don't move so fast yet.

I agree as I loved that photo immediately when I first uploaded it. I had a really productive year in 2018 with being able to watch 8 different fawns running about (two were twins) on my cameras. I think that I only went hunting 3-4 times during the 2018 season and was able to harvert one decent 8 pointer. Unfortunately, I was not in the woods very much durng the year during 2019 and never went hunting at all.

Last edited:

j_seph

Place em highier in tree aimed down. On a WMA I would go higher because folks do ride horses

280 Man

Banned

The vast majority, if not all of these higher MP cameras do not take true 6, 8, 10, 12, 18 or whatever MP pics. They do it by interpolation which adds pixels to the grid! Anytime pixels are added or subtracted to the original digital pic photo quality will suffer slightly.

rosewood

I have wondered about the MP ratings. I have had cameras 10 years ago that took both clear photos day and night. Seems like the cams I have bought the last few years have poor nite photos, almost pixelated. You would think they would be improving not getting worse.

Rosewood

furtaker

I have wondered about the MP ratings. I have had cameras 10 years ago that took both clear photos day and night. Seems like the cams I have bought the last few years have poor nite photos, almost pixelated. You would think they would be improving not getting worse.

Rosewood
Yep, contrary to popular belief MP numbers have nothing to do with photo quality in a trail camera. It's nothing but a sales pitch. I've seen 6 MP cameras from years past take clearer pictures than a current 14 MP one.

280 Man

Banned
Yep, contrary to popular belief MP numbers have nothing to do with photo quality in a trail camera. It's nothing but a sales pitch. I've seen 6 MP cameras from years past take clearer pictures than a current 14 MP one.

I highly doubt that there's any true 6MP cameras out there! If memory serves me correctly even the highly touted Reconyx cameras don't have a native 6 MP "lens" and those images that seem pixelated are! Its caused from that interpolation and gets worse when you "you" zoom in!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Yep the MP's are total fiction. Only so much quality you can get from a $100 trail cam. Most just create a bigger file size, so that it can be zoomed into. I have $29 cams up to $400 plus. I can see distance in a large thumbnail(1024x960) on a Spartan better than 20mp on others. If I get a hi res on the Spartan though it's a waste of my time. Nothing is gained in picture quality. The interpolation is in the original large thumbnail. I think the native resolution is about 5mp. The same thing goes on with smartphone cameras with the dual camera stuff.