Starlink caught on trail camera

Mars

Satellites are fast but not that fast. You can use apps like Heavens Above to track when satellites and the space station will be coming over you.

The ISS is really easy to see with the naked eye as long as it's pass is high enough above the horizon. I watched it come directly overhead yesterday around 6:20am.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Probably more likely a meteor. IMO, It is moving too fast for Starlink.
Satellites are fast but not that fast. You can use apps like Heavens Above to track when satellites and the space station will be coming over you.

The ISS is really easy to see with the naked eye as long as it's pass is high enough above the horizon. I watched it come directly overhead yesterday around 6:20am.
Have yall ever seen the Starlink? Zoom close and you can make out individual points of light in that line. I'm agreeing with the OP.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
And if someone really wants to do their homework, you've got date and time. There are websites that track the path of starlink.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Have yall ever seen the Starlink? Zoom close and you can make out individual points of light in that line. I'm agreeing with the OP.
It ain't like this would be the first time I was w-- ww--- wwwr----, you know that thing that ain't exactly right but might be under the proper circumstances.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Now I have made Starlink mad and Elon is messing with my bandwidth. It took 5 minutes for me to post that.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think it's a bug flapping its wings as it moves through the. frame.
Very common...

1eyefishing

Satellites don't blink and if they did, you would see the spots of the blinking without the line connecting them.
It would just look like stars in a picture
Airplanes and jets blink.
And how many times do you think they would blink in the short span of the shutter being open?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
It ain't like this would be the first time I was w-- ww--- wwwr----, you know that thing that ain't exactly right but might be under the proper circumstances.
Hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves. That's a drastic measure.

Stonewall 2

Yeah I saw starlink this past summer and the actual picture is clearer than my pic of a pic. You can clearly see the individual spheres in the pic.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Satellites don't blink and if they did, you would see the spots of the blinking without the line connecting them.
It would just look like stars in a picture
Airplanes and jets blink.
And how many times do you think they would blink in the short span of the shutter being open?
That's a possibility, but i think if that line were a jet, the shutter would have been open for several seconds to record that length. The deer would be blurry from any movement.

1eyefishing

That's a possibility, but i think if that line were a jet, the shutter would have been open for several seconds to record that length. The deer would be blurry from any movement.
Correct. I don't think it's a jet either.
I say bug.
No way a moving object in the sky would cover that length of distance while the shutter was only open probably a hundredth of a second.
A bug closer to the camera that was already at speed when the shutter opened produces that type of image.
Seen dozens of them...

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Correct. I don't think it's a jet either.
I say bug.
No way a moving object in the sky would cover that length of distance while the shutter was only open probably a hundredth of a second.
A bug closer to the camera that was already at speed when the shutter opened produces that type of image.
Seen dozens of them...
I agree with you that no single object in the sky would look like that. But the starlink train is MANY objects.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah I saw starlink this past summer and the actual picture is clearer than my pic of a pic. You can clearly see the individual spheres in the pic.
I don't think they're listening. I went back and enlarged the op pic and can now see the "beads on the necklace".

1eyefishing

I agree with you that no single object in the sky would look like that. But the starlink train is MANY objects.
But it only looks like a line of dots when the individual many satellites erupt from the main carrier. They soon disperse and I don't think their flight paths are related to each other except for that very short period of time.
Bug!