Switching back to a 1911

pacecars

I tried carrying a S&W M&P .357 Sig and while the gun is a great shooter and very comfortable it just ain't a 1911. It seems every time I try a different carry gun I go back to the old faithful 1911. Before I had been carrying a full size 10mm but the new carry gun will be a S&W 1911 Sc commander length .45 ACP. I plan to keep this one and rotate it with my Dave Clements 10mm Ruger 3 inch GP100 once he finishes it.

Reactions: Dub

Mars

Don't take this the wrong way because I legitimately curious. I have a 1911 and its one of my favorite pistols to shoot however in my opinion, there are so many other pistols that give your double the capacity for less weight.

If your reason is just because your like it, thats good enough for me. Like I said, Im just curious as to how you decided that was best for you.

pacecars

My first carry gun was a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and then for the longest time I carried a Dan Wesson CBob 10mm. I switched to a Glock 20 10mm for the 15rd capacity and carried it for several years. I switched to a Springfield loaded 1911 full size .45 for a few months then to a Glock 32 .357 Sig. I switched to a RIA 10mm full size and last was the M&P. There have been a few revolvers hear and there in the mix also but these were the main everyday guns. I can get more rounds in the plastic guns but the 1911 just feels right.

pacecars

I even carried a .45 Colt SAA for a while

obligated

I go between my little Glock 19 and my 1911 for carry.Im a Jeff Cooper fan so it was hard to go to Glock but the third generation trigger isnt bad and it always goes bang.Winter I typically carry the 1911.

Mars

Nothing beats a 1911....it's a proven winner, time and again. The plastic stuff can't compare.

Hmmm...... You mean to tell me that in a gun fight, you would rather have 8 rounds in your 1911 rather than 14 in a Glock?

cmshoot

The pistol that you are more comfortable with is more important than caliber or capacity. The more comfortable you are with it, mentally/physically/tactically, the better you'll shoot it.

If you employ a 1911 better, and shoot better with it......8 hits are always better than 17 misses.

If you've ever examined the stats, when LE switched from revolvers to semi-autos, their hit ratios went down.

rosewood

The pistol that you are more comfortable with is more important than caliber or capacity. The more comfortable you are with it, mentally/physically/tactically, the better you'll shoot it.

If you employ a 1911 better, and shoot better with it......8 hits are always better than 17 misses.

If you've ever examined the stats, when LE switched from revolvers to semi-autos, their hit ratios went down.

Yeah, what he said!!

I love me some 1911, but got a super deal on a Sig P220 .45acp a few years back. Loved it so much, but wanted more capacity so I bought a P229 in .40. I don't shoot the P229 as well as the P220 and it weighs more. So I went back to the P220. It carries better and is slimmer on the side. 8 rounds on target with .45 can't be beat and rarely would you use more than that in a self defense situation. Now if you was planning a shootout with gangsters, you might want more.

I have a p14-45 but it weighs too much for concealed carry, had an alloy frame P14-45 which carried really well, but traded it in for a p16-40. Wished I still had it, they quit making the alloy frame P14-45s. Seems they may have quit making all Paras now. :(

Rosewood

Mars

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I shoot all my full size pistol equally bad so I will take the higher capacity.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
At 30 feet one of these shots would be a game changer from my .380 LCP. So one 45 ACP center mass hit would be a game changer also. The target at the bottom is from my 1911 at 25 yards.

gt40

Attachments

• LCP 2.JPG
    LCP 2.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 491
  • 25 yd. target .jpg
    25 yd. target .jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

munchie3409

I'm with you OP. I buy and sell firearms a lot and whenever I do not have a 1911 in my inventory I always ask why I sold the last 1911.

It's just something about the 1911 for me.

I also like this thread since you are a big 10mm fan. I've owned several Glocks in the past and they never shot well for me. I just know the G29 and G20 are good for getting into 10mm. I have smaller hands and the G20 grip is a little wide for me. I never handled a G29.

I am considering going to 10mm for stopping power. I thought about a 10mm RIA, but they seem to be hit/miss with QC.

SlowRain

1911 + magazine full of Federal HST = End of Conflict

I guess if one feels insecure unless one has 17 rounds, then carry an extra magazine or two. I do.

dturnersr

Generally speaking I prefer 1911s in .45 all day everyday, but I find Springfield armory xds just more practical to carry as edc. I emphasize with the op. I amuse my impulses from little wheel guns to big wheel guns back to 1911s and finally around to the XDS.

In reality its the first good hit versus several misses. I like the results of the .45 but any good hit beats a miss of any caliber.

Dub

I tried carrying a S&W M&P .357 Sig and while the gun is a great shooter and very comfortable it just ain't a 1911. It seems every time I try a different carry gun I go back to the old faithful 1911. Before I had been carrying a full size 10mm but the new carry gun will be a S&W 1911 Sc commander length .45 ACP. I plan to keep this one and rotate it with my Dave Clements 10mm Ruger 3 inch GP100 once he finishes it.

Cool.

What holster are you carrying it in ?

I sometimes carry a 1911, but usually carry a G26, G19 or S&W 442.

It's all in what you are comfortable with.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I carry my Kimber Stainless compact in a IWB or a cross draw, and have never felt undergunned or at a disadvantage because I only have 7. If 7 won't do it, 17 ain't gonna help any either.

mizuno24jad

I shot my dads remington 1911 and it will be my next handgun purchase, i carry my ruger lc9 for conceal carry but that 1911 was so smooth and sweet shooting, i fell in love haha