Those are my deer! Don't shoot them!

Glenn

Yesterday I was doing some hunting/scouting on a WMA here in North Central Florida and was looking a little section of the WMA that is off by itself and is surounded by commercial ferneries and houses.

About the only way to get into it is by parking along a small county road across the street from some houses. So I found a spot where I could pull off of the right-a-way and parked in a way to where it did not look like my truck was broke down or anything.

So after getting out and walking for about an hour I came back out to the truck and noticed that there was an old lady and a elder black man out in the yard across the street. Just to let them know that I might be hunting and parking across the road from them and also to find out if there has been any other hunters in the area I walked over and introduced myself.

As soon as I ask about any other hunters the old lady said that no one hunts across the street because it is her land? I then asked why was her land posted as State Forest and WMA? :confused:

She then stated that her land goes into the wood line about 15 feet from the road and then the state forest starts. So I said ok my mistake I will just park down the road from here and I told her I was sorry for parking on her property.

She then comes out and tells me not to shoot "HER DEER" :( I said your deer? :confused: She says yes I feed those deer and they are tamed and they have lived there since the 70's :speechles

I then say ok I wwon't shoot your deer but I will shoot the State of Florida's deer when I see them. At this point the old black man is laughing and I sais good day.

What would ya'll do? Would you shoot her pets?

She did say that the daddy of the herd is huge....I said O'really :D

QuakerBoy

I might just have to go shoot Daddy :D

THough you hate to upset people...if we didn't hunt every time someone opposed it happening, well...you can figgure out where we'd be. It is state land and open to hunting, don't let someone deter you. :shoot:

Jeff Phillips

Glenn - Go back and ask her what time she feeds em. You might be able to get a pattern on that Daddy :p :shoot:

JBowers

After she demanded that you not shoot her deer, you could have answered, I will do my best to not shoot your deer, sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your time. You wouldn't be lying and if you did shoot one and she got upset, well, then she didn't tell how to distinguish her deer from the State's deer, so its her fault!

I think you did just fine.

GeauxLSU

Soft touch.

OK, here's where I'm going to be a push over. If I REALLY thought an old lady had been feeding the specific deer I was getting ready to shoot and she enjoyed seeing that particular deer regularly, then NO, I would not shoot it. Just like I wouldn't want anyone shooting the ones in my backyard (even when they are not IN my backyard).
Obviously it's legal if you shoot them. I bet if you talk to her a little and let her know that the deer she saw in the 70's are long gone and these are there great x10 grandkids, and maybe give her some venison if she likes it you might just make a friend that would enjoy a hot cup of coffee with you when it's cold and might keep others from shooting YOUR deer. ;)
Just ask here if there's a 'mean one' and tell her you'll shoot that one. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Dean

I just

want to know what you are going to do (and say) when you shoot that big daddy deer and it runs over into her yard before expiring????

Dog Hunter

Dean said:
want to know what you are going to do (and say) when you shoot that big daddy deer and it runs over into her yard before expiring????
Will you help me load up your big buck that I just killed. :D :eek: :speechles JK

That is a good question????? And the answer is????????

duckbill

Glenn, if you shoot that little ole lady's deer...I'm going to call the law on you. That is a blatant case of shooting over bait. You know good and well them deer been comin' to them collard greens ever' day for 30 years.
You ought to be ashamed :mad:

:D :D :D :D :D

Glenn

Ya'll are full of it :rolleyes:

To be honest I am not that desperate to kill a deer and lord knows I have plenty of chances every season to fill the freezer. I will respect her enough to park down the road out of sight from her house for now on and I will do my best to not hunt to close to the woods in front of her house. If I lived there I would feel the same about someone hunting in fron of my house, not because I hated hunting but just the thought of someone hunting in my personal spot.

But being that it is archery season I don't want to hunt to close to private property anyways just in case the deer runs off and die's in her front yard.

That would not be good at all :banginghe

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
GeauxLSU said:
Just ask here if there's a 'mean one' and tell her you'll shoot that one. ;)

If that's not original --- I don't know what is.:D

Craig Knight

Her Deer

Well since they are grain fed, they should be big and healthy. And do what Jeff says and just fill the freezer. Deer it's whats for supper!!! :shoot:

Glenn

I guess if everyone who lived around WMA's or leases claimed that the deer near their homes were their "PETS" we would all be in big trouble.

Could ya'll imagine what would happen if a lawyer or a judge for that matter got a hold of a case where some land owner claimed that the deer within 2 miles of their home were their deer and then a law was passed on something like that.... :speechles

Scarry just to think about it :(

All we can do is present ourselves as responsble hunters and conservationist and let people like the old lady and man know that we are not out to slaughter the herd and that we respect "their pets" more than they do.

Boy I can't wait for Saturday to come so I can find that big boy :bounce:

Muygrande

Kill all of 'em, even the little ones that just lost their spots!!! That'll teach her to meddle!! :bounce: ASk the black guy to let you know where they're at and give him some of the deer!! That's the friend I'd be after!! :D

Glenn

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with the black man. She was telling him where to put all these little yard art things when I was walking up to them.

Don't know if they were married or what but he was laughing up a storm :bounce:

Might have to slip old Leroy a $20 to find out just how big the Daddy buck is. If he has been around since the 70's then he has got to be a moose or just one huge cow horn spike :eek:

horsecreek

I couldnt shoot em. Im cant quit laughin now :bounce: :D :D ......

great responses .....

Mac

When I use to live in Baldwin, Ga

I had up to 5 bucks in my backyard at once, in season. One was a 140 class 10 pt., I have a shed.

No way Would I have shoot one of those deer. Yes my pets. Legal yes, in range yes (less than 100 yards)

I enjoyed watching them too much. I can relate to the old lady.

the HEED!

Banned
Ask her this!

Ask her next time you see her since she feeds them, can you take them there last meal when you go in the woods? This is public land and you are liscensed by the state to hunt deer, give me a break! The only good tree hugger is one sitting in a tree stand! :clap: