Wearing a hat indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Ain't it amazing that this generation is soooooo much smarter than the last ? Yet we live in a crappier world where people don't know which bathroom to go in . You will find out in life the older you get the smarter your parents were.

Maybe it generations before us had actually thought through what they were doing instead of blindly accepting things we wouldn’t have to be asking now

sinclair1

Maybe it generations before us had actually thought through what they were doing instead of blindly accepting things we wouldn’t have to be asking now
My father had a high IQ but we still had to turn around if a black cat crossed the road and he didn't go out on Friday the 13th. They never stepped back to see some of the stuff was nonsense.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can come in with the brim rolled like a hillbilly and the hat laid back to where it don't even block the sun. Make sure to have the costas on top
Negatory. That would be the $20 Calcuttas on top. :)

It's my house, I say who comes in and hillbillys are welcome but rappers are not. I hate rap, it makes me twitch. I might check for oil leaks on the hillbilly truck though.:rofl:
Good deal, I'll be there about 5. What's for supper? :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ain't it amazing that this generation is soooooo much smarter than the last ? Yet we live in a crappier world where people don't know which bathroom to go in . You will find out in life the older you get the smarter your parents were.
Why didn't our grandaddies still wear powdered wigs and them little britches that buckle around your knees? It was disrespectful to go into polite company without those in the early days of our country.

I see old pictures of people in my grandpa's generation out bear hunting with neckties on. Sorry, not gonna do that.

I am a big fan of history and tradition, and I think old ways are better than new ones in many ways. But some things that are traditions just make no sense.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
You can come in with the brim rolled like a hillbilly and the hat laid back to where it don't even block the sun. Make sure to have the costas on top

What if I don't wear Costas? My eye glasses do transition in the sun. But I do roll my hat brim!!!!

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I too like "yes ma'am/no sir", opening/holding doors for females, no hat at the table, saying grace before eating, etc.

I hold the door for erybody too, but these days I wonder if that's right or wrong given all the changes in the world.

The sir n ma'am thing..........I was raised to say it often, diddy wanted me saying it before n after sentences too (he wasn't in the military which made that part odd). However, I work with people from all ova and very few native southerners. Saying sir n ma'am all the time has actually been a negative in my career, as most folks think folks who say it are schmoozing. It's one of those things where I have to constantly keep myself from saying it. For those reasons, I didn't really make a big deal of it with my kids.

Hillbilly stalker

I believe they were busy with other small things like winning world wars, building a country, raising children that didn’t back sass and wear pink hair, look like they fell face first into a tackle box and such. You might need to ask YOUR elders why these things are so. If they can’t answer you st least you would know where you got your “ I dunno “ gene from. Lol !

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I believe they were busy with other small things like winning world wars, building a country, raising children that didn’t back sass and wear pink hair, look like they fell face first into a tackle box and such. You might need to ask YOUR elders why these things are so. If they can’t answer you st least you would know where you got your “ I dunno “ gene from. Lol !

Actually, “the greatest generation” raised the baby boomers which were their days millennial

Maybe if they had questioned things the 60’s would have been different.

Who made the rule that you open a door for a lady?
What purpose does it serve?

I hold doors for anyone who is approaching a door that I am exiting or entering.
Men, women, children, Black, White, Brown, or green.
It's just courtesy, not "common courtesy", because it's not too common anymore.

I really enjoy doing it while wearing my Trump 2020 shirt and My red MAGA trigger hat. lol

I hold the door for erybody too, but these days I wonder if that's right or wrong given all the changes in the world.

The sir n ma'am thing..........I was raised to say it often, diddy wanted me saying it before n after sentences too (he wasn't in the military which made that part odd). However, I work with people from all ova and very few native southerners. Saying sir n ma'am all the time has actually been a negative in my career, as most folks think folks who say it are schmoozing. It's one of those things where I have to constantly keep myself from saying it. For those reasons, I didn't really make a big deal of it with my kids.

It's better to say ma'am and sir when it isn't deemed necessary than not saying it when it was definitely necessary.
Being courteous is also considered butt kissing in some circles.
I don't let others judgement change who I am.

Tom W.

I was raised mostly on Camp LeJeune when I was young and formative, as well as a stint in Pennsylvania near my grandfather's farm. We used to fight to get the Tioga Feed hats that the suppliers gave away. My Grandfather came here from Poland. We could wear hats outside, in the barn, and in the milkhouse, as well as any outbuildings or the basement. Never in the house, any stores and certainly not in church.

We were never told why, but we did follow instructions fairly well.
I learned pretty quickly that one did not wear a "cover" anywhere on base unless you were under arms. Mess hall, theaters, PX, nothing.
Back then a cap was worn with the bill forward, so it could help block the sun from your eyes, not backwards so your neck didn't get a sunburn. I usually tuck the bill into my waist in the small of my back when inside a building.As I am almost bald I do wear the hat outside to keep from burning the top of my head, and when raining to help keep my glasses dry.
We also didn't wear the bill to the side unless we were fishing and needed it to block the sun from our eyes, and always took the price tags and other stuff from the hat so we didn't look like Minnie Pearl...or some of the "bro's".

Some things are learned and are never thought to be questioned as to why. I, for one, don't want to look like a dumb redneck scuzzbucket with no manners or "learning."

As all of my older relatives are dead, including my parents, I can't ask them why....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts