What camo system do you use? Sitka, First Lite, Predator, etc?

ASH556

I will say that I used to Have a Scentblocker system, washed in Scent-away laundry detergent, line dried (or put charcoal in dryer with dirt-scented sheets to activate carbon), stored with pine needles, showered with unscented soap, unscented deodorant, Lacrosse boots, cover scent, on and on and on.

Now I just wear a gray, green, or brown pair of Mountain Khakis with thermal underwear if it's cold, wool socks, a flannel shirt, a Mountain Hardware softshell if it's cold, layered over a Cabelas Guidewear Fleece Vest if it's really cold, and cover most of my top half with a big orange vest (as we all should be, thus, negating all the fancy camo anyway).

I have deer walk right under my stand every year, and see as many or more deer than I used to when I was doing all the fancy stuff. What's improved is my woodscraft. Be still, be quiet, stay long.

From a fashion perspective, I prefer the Upland style to camo anyway ;)

I keep a leafy suit in the truck, but I'm not a GQ hunter.:huh:
I also hide from people.:biggestshoot:

I just slip it over my shorts and tee shirt, flannel shirt and jeans, or my Carhardt bibs and jacket on the frosty mornings.:hair:

Hillbilly stalker

I keep a leafy suit in the truck, but I'm not a GQ hunter.:huh:
I also hide from people.:biggestshoot:

I just slip it over my shorts and tee shirt, flannel shirt and jeans, or my Carhardt bibs and jacket on the frosty mornings.
We share the same M.O, works like a charm(y)

southerndraw

Setting here in Illinois with temperatures in the high 20's with a stiff wind but this sitka fanatic setup as me as snug as big in a rug. No it wasn't cheap and I kept putting it off but when I finally took the leap, I was mad because I didn't do it sooner. Good base layer and regular L/sleeve t-shirt and that's it...I used to have on so many layers I couldn't even use my climber...?

Rob

I have a Sitka fanatic suit (bib and coat) and it is excellent from a quality stand point. It keeps me warm and dry and overall is a very good suit. I am not a fan of wearing the same "pattern" top and bottom, I almost always mismatch mine. When it is cold enough (I was in Kansas last week and it was 14) I will wear my Sitka suit but I put a cheap realtree brown shirt over the coat to break up the "blob". I think the camo pattern is not as important as just breaking up the human silhouette.

barongan

Sitka would be my choice
o.png

Iron ghost

Big fan of First Lite (and merino wool in general), don’t see myself ever switching.
Love their Fusion pattern and now loving the new Cipher even more. Stuff is invisible to animals, to the point of it being almost comical.
Hunting on the ground, I’ve lost count of how many deer I’ve had to shoo away because they were getting too close.

On the note of clothing, perhaps my new favorite gear purchase is a set of 400g heavyweight merino baselayers/long johns from Wool X. So much warmth without bulk, it’s ridiculous. $200 for top and bottom.
https://www.woolx.com/collections/mens-heavyweights

Last edited:

Iron ghost

I have a few First Lite pieces (SS Llano, Hooded Chama, a pair of corrugate guide pants and a pair of the Kanabs). Pay attention to the size recommendations on their site. The Llano and Chama were a tad small. I bought L in both since that's what I wear in everything but an XL on both would have been better.

The Kanabs are super quiet, but they are delicate. I feel like they would get torn to shreds if I stormed through a clear cut with them. The Corrugates are a little noisier, but I wear them all the time fishing, working in the yard, hunting, etc. They are the pick of the bunch so far. I ordered LT on both of the pants and they fit perfect.
Never understood people having problems with kanabs, i hunt 3-7 days a week during deer season, I’m on my 3rd season with mine and they’re in great shape.
31325CFE-5672-4C05-BE4B-1493B286B8D0.png

ddd-shooter

Yep, I could care less about Camo patterns and “look”. However. Buying a Sitka outer layer suit (bibs and jacket) has been the BEST money I have spent for hunting.
Not because of the pattern, but because of the engineering behind the clothing. Where I used to wear 4 layers and still get cold, now I wear only 2 layers. Do you know how much that cuts down on weight and bulk? It’s huge! Plus, I always hunt out of a climber. Zippers are quality, buttons are quiet snap, hood is tapered for peripheral vision, pockets are placed perfectly, I mean it’s crazy how well a top of the line piece of clothing is made.
I suppose if you climb up in your box blind and turn on your heater, it’s not really necessary.
I’ll never go back. I’ll add a piece or two every year until I have a “system.” Can’t afford it all at once, but having tasted light, warm, and quality, ill not go back.
Highly recommend a good 100% merino wool baselayer. Watch out for those who advertise merino but are only 50% or less.
Let us know what you decide.

Sixes

I upgraded most all of my hunting stuff last year to First LIte gear when MidwayUSA put it on clearance. Best stuff I have ever used, and I've used all the Cableas outfitter gear for several years. FL is not only warmer, but far less bulky and is easily layered to whatever temp is outside.

And just a heads up, First Lite is running a sale starting the 20th thru the 26th, next week at 20-50% off.

Buy once cry once.

Curvebow05

Sitka would be my go too if I had $1500 to spend on quality gear. If you call them and tell them what you will be doing, seasons, temps, wet/dry etc they will build a system for you. From the socks and underwear to the vest. Pretty great customer service.

Iron ghost

I upgraded most all of my hunting stuff last year to First LIte gear when MidwayUSA put it on clearance. Best stuff I have ever used, and I've used all the Cableas outfitter gear for several years. FL is not only warmer, but far less bulky and is easily layered to whatever temp is outside.

And just a heads up, First Lite is running a sale starting the 20th thru the 26th, next week at 20-50% off.

Buy once cry once.
Yeah man, I’m gonna be all over that sale. Bought a face mask in the cipher pattern this year just to check it out and now I’m in love with the pattern. For oak trees it’s ridiculous how well it blends, feels like cheating.
Guys quoting all these high prices, you don’t need all that for Georgia. I’d say 80-90% of my hunting is done in the chama hoodie(now called Kiln) and kanab pants(now called Obsidian). I just layer underneath to varying degrees depending on weather. Only my exterior stuff is hunting gear, my underlayers are mostly from backpacking & skiing gear, most of which can be found for cheap.

Attachments

• 5F289E75-59D9-40A2-99E3-3520E1A6B655.jpeg
    5F289E75-59D9-40A2-99E3-3520E1A6B655.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 972DFB5E-8F64-47E2-9AD9-6F7607D6BC65.jpeg
    972DFB5E-8F64-47E2-9AD9-6F7607D6BC65.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Sixes

I just received one of the last Uncompagre insulated puffy vests in ASAT.

Always liked that pattern, I bought the Uncompagre jacket last year and it's the best outer/mid layer item that I have purchased, so I wanted the vest too. I'll probably get one of the merino quarter zips during the sale, but will probably get it in a solid just for everyday use and double as a middle layer

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thirty years ago:

oldpic.jpg

This weekend:

320AACE0-DE49-4BAB-A967-C07DD7445ADB.jpeg

Still works. :)

champ

Walmart brand with a mossyoak pattern works for me. I catch them on sale every year and most of it ends up in the kids closets. Camo and concealment do You no good if ya can't set still and use your eyeballs for looking at the forest instead of a smartphone. HAhahaha!