What would you change?

Dupree

In no way am I complaining about how the turkey challenge was conducted, Im just sure that some people have things that they would like to see change for next year. I think this would be good for Brandon to review when considering any revisions before next year.

The only thing I would like, is for spurs to be measured to the closest 1/16". I think this would help people out on a few points here and there, or just making it to the closest 1/8", not rounding down.

Anyone else? :huh:

short stop

Hand picked teams
the diff between hand picked and drawn teams is the participation level of the team --- you will know upfront if your dealing with guys who are partimers or full timers --- all talk or all Hot air . The contest was full of people that were GUNG HO till week # 2 then they vanished .

Brandon and the judges ran a great show -- Its the only thing I would like to see changed but this is only my personal op , and may not reflect everyone elses op .

F14Gunner

Looking to next season

Being in a Family Club, and this year the only member to be entered in the Challenge, everyone saw the fun of the hunt and watched as the season progressed, wishing they had of entered as well.
We would like to see next year's challenge, where we can pick our partners or team mates. This way we know who is and who is not participating in the hunts. Several of us were out hunting and loving every minute of it every chance we could. Although I only took one bird, my brother took a double the same day, but was not in the challenge. There is still a thrill to be in the woods and listening to the birds talk to us, and then stalking them.

No offense to the others that were in the challenge, with today’s life challenges, I fully understand how it is to get away. Everyone did an outstanding job in working the event, and I look forward to participating next season.

Thanks All :flag:

MKW

yep

I, too, think we should enter the challenge as 3-man teams. If don't have 3 guys and you still want to compete, your name goes into a hat to be drawn for a team. This, or an "every man for himself" challenge is the only way that I will participate again. I feel that I can compete with anyone head-to-head, but with randomly drawn teams, you might not stand a chance right out of the chute. That to me is unfair. Is the deer challenge a team deal??

Mike

rex upshaw

I, too, think we should enter the challenge as 3-man teams. If don't have 3 guys and you still want to compete, your name goes into a hat to be drawn for a team. This, or an "every man for himself" challenge is the only way that I will participate again.

why would you only compete if you could pick teams? it's not like we put a bunch of money in a hat and you are now down some cash, since youre team didn't win. the turkey challenge, to me at least, makes a lot of sense the way it is. being paired up with someone who may have more or less knowledge than you, can be a good thing....as well as getting to know different folks on this board and possibly being able to hunt with your teammates at some point, whether it be during the challeng, or in upcoming years.

Dudley Do-Wrong

From a moderator’s standpoint, we saw some stuff that it would make you think a million dollars was at stake; some were bad enought that you wouldn't want to do this again.

I suspected that there were a number of people that joined the forum because they heard about the Challenge and the great prizes. I have no problem, in any way, in the way it was handled. I wish we could weed out those who joined the forum just because we had a lot of great prizes, you won’t see them again till next year.

MKW

Well, that's just how I feel. I would really rather it be a individual challenge. In MY opinion, the way it is now, the "luck of the draw" plays far too big of a role. I know that it is just for fun and I'm not out anything, but if I enter a contest, I'm still in it to win it.

Mike

rex upshaw

I suspected that there were a number of people that joined the forum because they heard about the Challenge and the great prizes. .

maybe limit it to folks who have a certain amount of post, that everyone knows are constantly on the gon forum and not just here because of the prize list....because i agree with you david, i am sure many folks just joined, to try to get some free gear.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Let me add this, I believe Brandon made it as fair and simple as possible. No matter how it was done, someone is/was going to be unhappy. I could understand some folks getting upset if they had to pay an entry fee or there were some really elaborate prizes at stake. Basically, everyone had something to gain and nothing to lose and I'd imagine that it took some time to judge and score the birds. I may or may not compete again, my season was a bust and I hunted hard (just had no birds to hunt).

brucemacgee19

man I'm so glad I got introduced to this forum. for that I need to thank coryo. if it wasn't for the challenge then I don't think I would have become a member.
as for the challenge...... if nothing changes I will still be happy. it was ran smoothly and fairly. let me be straight with all of you, it is great the way it is. I do have a few things I would like to throw out there as ideas for next year......if this is the place to throw around those kinds of things. there could be a greatest total, for one person, catagory.
and as for the # of birds per team.....we could bump that up to three birds per team member.......9 total. with the greatest 5 birds being tallied for the contest. I never really understood why a team could only enter six?

but let me say this again......I enjoyed the challenge and the way it was set up. it was a wonderful job by all!

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Maybe a regional divide so as to get drawn w/someone near you. Say like DNR's game management units. Not necessarilly where you live, could be where you hunt the most. When you join put in Reg IV . If you wanted to be in that regions drawing for teamates. Still keep it a statewide(& beyond) contest. One drawing for our friends who dont live here. If some one lived just over the line in say SC but wanted to be in the drawing for the region around augusta ,that would be OK. They could come over here to hunt w/us fairly easy or vice versa.

And it wouldn't bother me a bit if there no prizes invovled at all. Just bragging rites.

& 1 other thing I would change is me killin some birds:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think the Challenge was ran as best as it could be. There will be people that got in it and could not produce. It's ok. Every complaint I have seen come about the Challenge has been because everyone wanted a prize and not everyone can have a prize. If this was the case, why have the Challenge? I have said it before and I will say it again. If you get in the Challenge to win prizes, this ain't for you. It is for fun and meeting new People that enjoy Turkey Hunting. The last two years I have not won a thing but the memories I have taken away from this Challenge compares to no Prize. Last season I hunted with BRITT-1 and ga.xbowhunter. I had fun trying to enter BRITT's birds and we almost did not get them entered. We talked on the telephone several times as well as with Robert. He had never killed a bird and I tried to help give him tactics to try and get one. I had Hunter-Steve and dirtroad this year. I killed one bird and that was it. I had many a conversations with both of these guys and even took Steve out on a Public Land hunt. We heard several and had a great time. Talking with both of them on the phone was fun too. The last two years have been fun in the Challenge. But all this what would you change......so you can win a prize talk it terrible.:whip: Guys yall are better than this. It was fun and it did not change the way I hunted one bit. Yes it would be nice to have a Challenge where you Pay $50 entry fee and expect to win a prize. It would be nice if everyone could afford it as well. If this is the way you want it, I will not be a part of it at all. If you want to spend $50 to get a prize....go buy a call from one of the Great Call Makers we have on this board. Alot of prizes were donated and that was great of the Call Makers to do this. It made things intresting and also made some people hunt harder that they normally would. If you want to lose the people that get in just for the prizes, set a post limit from one month prior to the Challenge starting date. 100 post was a free Contest I got in last season. Worked great and cut down on the drive by's....:banginghe Lets not change this thing because of the luck of the draw....:crazy: It was free and it was for fun.....:banana: If you want to spend money, go buy a call that these Call Makers are donating. Hunting is already getting out of hand with the money that is spent on it already. If it is going to change the whole point of the Challenge, I will not participate again. If someone wants to go hunting with me or wants to invite me along, I may or may not go. If I do not go, it will not be because I don't want to go.;) Enjoy it for what it is!

Brandon, You did a great job with the way this Challenge was ran from beginning to end. Last year and this year. I enjoyed it. Thank you for what you do buddy.

Thank you to all the Call Makers and People that donated prizes for this Challenge. You are great people to deal with. I have met some of you and I enjoyed your calls. They are all fun to work. I look forward to meeting the Call Makers I have not met. Thank you again!:cool:
Tim

brlewis

I was not in the challenge. I thought the contest was great. I tried to read every post. I think every member should be able to submit 3 birds and the only the top five used. I also think that teams should be matched with members that are located close together, so they could hunt together. {{{ I think that is what I noticed the most from the challenge" people meeting people".}}}

People who donate prizes can be displayed (free ads) at the beginning of the contest but prizes should not be shown until contest is over.
People should enter to have a good time not to see what they can get for free.

I think family should be able to be on the same team.

Last edited:

Dupree

I did not start this thread to say I was upset with the way it was run. I just know that people have said there were things that they would like to see changed, so I started a thread for people to list them. Im not complaining just suggesting. I had a great time. I was able to enter three birds, and my team finished 7th.

MKW

Every complaint I have seen come about the Challenge has been because everyone wanted a prize and not everyone can have a prize.

Tim,
You don't really believe this, do you?? I promise you that I, for one, don't want any changes because I'm upset cause I didn't get one of the prizes.:huh: It's got nothing to do with free stuff. We were asked what we would change and I gave my opinion...period.

Mike

Public Land Prowler

and as for the # of birds per team.....we could bump that up to three birds per team member.......9 total. with the greatest 5 birds being tallied for the contest. I never really understood why a team could only enter six?

I agree.I would have liked to of seen 3 birds per person with maybe a 6 bird total team limit.Our team actually took way more than 9 birds.lockon got his 3 in ga,and one in KY,fowl play got his limit in Ga,I think 2 in Alabama,and 1 in KS,and I got my 3.

We didn't enter 7 of them,and 3 of those birds we decided not to enter were in the 22pt range.

I'm sure other teams could have posted more birds,but held out like we did.Strategy plays a big part.As well as communication.We all exchanged #'s first thing,and kept in contact the entire season.

I would love to stick with my team for next year,because they are great guys.I also see the need for the drawing to keep things fair.I had never spoken to any of them before,and I will admit I got lucky on the draw.Next year someone else may get lucky and wind up on a hot team.The mods did an excellent job,and I like the judges making the call.That way Brandon doesn't have to stress as much.

Last edited:

capt stan

It was fun ain't thatwhat it's supposed to be about? If it wasn't fun..then don't play.I got no gripes or complaints. Looking fwd to next year. Thanks to all that worked their butts off to make it happen!

Hunter Haven

If changes are what some are wanting to hear, I have one...

Read and follow the rules...

Example:
Everyone who enters a bird know what a picture of:
The hunter, the bird, and the paper/ and or phone is.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:pop:

Hunter-Steve

Keep it the way it is.. I have been in this both years and enjoy all the new members I have meet and hunted with. I for one can care less about the prizes. I enjoy seeing everyones success. As well as it gives me a great excuse to tell the wife so I can go hunting more often :bounce:

Public Land Prowler

Lol..Yeah alot of guys would have entered alot more birds had they followed directions...Would be sweet to load up a team like the bow contest.. ;)