What would you change?

Dudley Do-Wrong

go buy a call from one of the Great Call Makers we have on this board
Tim, that's the best idea anyone has presented!!!:bounce::bounce::banana::banana:

I promise you that I, for one, don't want any changes because I'm upset cause I didn't get one of the prizes.
Mike, everyone knows that you were hoping to win one of my calls cause you don't want to pay for one. (J/K)

SELFBOW

I think only Ga birds should qualify. that would make it better to me even though I hunt different states.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Mike, everyone knows that you were hoping to win one of my calls cause you don't want to pay for one. (J/K)

See there Mike....:bounce:;) Even David knows;)
I don't want any fingers pointed....;)

It just sounds like alot of complaining over a Great Contest. Enjoy who and what you have to work with. Why would it not be called a Challenge.

Steve, If your wife don't know Turkey Seasons is out, tell her you comming down here...:bounce:;)
Tim

OldManWinter

For me this was the best. I enjoyed Turkey season more than I ever had. I hunted my rear off more than I ever have, sadly though I got hung up on one bird that consumed a great part of my season. However I was on the winning team, I did kill a bird but My teamates killed bigger and I didnt get to post mine, but thats ok because I met some good guys on this forum. I was never in it for the prizes, I just like to compete. I can tell you if I had to pick 2 other guys to be on my team I would have never entered. Its not because I dont know people who turkey hunt, In fact one of the most accomplished turkey hunters ever goes to my church and is always asking me to call him to go. I could pick him up and one other guy who never even toted a shotgun and he would no doubt limit us out within weeks. It really was about me challenging myself to be a better hunter and enjoying what God gave us. I love hunting with family and friends but to be honest they just are not die hard as some of us are. You guys that have that are fortunate and should count your blessings. I quit playing in golf tournaments for this very reason. People will go to no ends to win those prizes. I like it just the way it is a friendly challenge. Maybe there could be 2 next year, this one and a 2nd one with an entry fee, you choose. I would be willing to bet more people sign up for the first one. Just my thoughts, thanks to all the guys who posted about thier hunts and sharing thier experiences.

F14Gunner

Maybe a regional divide so as to get drawn w/someone near you. Say like DNR's game management units. Not necessarilly where you live, could be where you hunt the most. When you join put in Reg IV . If you wanted to be in that regions drawing for teamates. Still keep it a statewide(& beyond) contest. One drawing for our friends who dont live here. If some one lived just over the line in say SC but wanted to be in the drawing for the region around augusta ,that would be OK. They could come over here to hunt w/us fairly easy or vice versa.

And it wouldn't bother me a bit if there no prizes invovled at all. Just bragging rites.

& 1 other thing I would change is me killin some birds:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe
This is to me would be a more fesiable look at the challenge. I invited my team mates to hunt with me on our property, the issue was that one lived in the north part of the state and the other was south central. This was a challenge in it's self. A reagional draw would be more to likely to produce a workable team. This way the teammates can hunt together and get to know each other.

turkeyed

I think the challenge was great the way it was. I feel that if everyone picks teams there will only be a few teams that stay through the end of the challenge. A big part of thsi challenge is to met new outdoorsman and to make new friends. I think some of you are missing the point of the whole challenge. I like the teams being drawn and meeting hunters around this state and others. As far as how many birds a team can enter, this is where team communication and strategy come into play. I feel that the number o participants will decline drastically if we pick teams ourselves. I think that six birds for a team is great. It requires a team to work together and strive to kill bigger birds, opposed to just shooting three to get them on the board. I feel that the challenge was great and I enjoyed all the communication with hunters around the state. I would not change a thing.

klemsontigers7

It would be nice if somehow the previous challenges would dictate if you get to be in next year's challenge. I had a teammate "kill" 3 good birds one morning in the opening week but never submitted them because he said he didn't get good enough pictures. I know it is all just for fun and games but some people actually hunt about 4 or 5 mornings a week the whole season and get stuck with people who only hunt about twice opening weekend and are already done. I agree that hand picked teams would be the way to go since we all know people on the forum that we could trust to be on our team. If teams did not have 3 members they could easily find more people to join their team that they feel would be beneficial to the success of the team. I guess my main point is that I would like to see us be able to pick our teams.

Jody Hawk

I too think it should be an individual challenge where you have some control over how you finish. This current challenge is nothing more than who gets the best draw when teams are selected. :huh: Just as well draw numbers out of a hat and give prizes. ::gone:

brucemacgee19

I too think it should be an individual challenge where you have some control over how you finish. This current challenge is nothing more than who gets the best draw when teams are selected. :huh: Just as well draw numbers out of a hat and give prizes. ::gone:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
that's messed up jody I'm tellin on you:rofl:

MKW

yep

EXACTLY!!

Mike

rex upshaw

aren't there already a couple of individual prizes?:huh:

Al White

here's an idea

Allow each team 15 bonus points. Each team member can take a kid (under 21) turkey hunting and receive 5 points for doing so. The team member would need to submit a picture of the kid and the team member, in the woods hunting - that's it. The idea is to get more kids involved in hunting, maybe this would introduce some of them to a terrific sport.

kevincox

Im probably not the best teammate to have in a turkey challenge because I call up most of my birds for others to shoot. I just enjoy seeing others get involved with turkey hunting that might never have tried it. Deer hunting is a solo sport for me but my turkey hunting is more of a group effort. Its fun hunting with my buddies

kevincox

Allow each team 15 bonus points. Each team member can take a kid (under 21) turkey hunting and receive 5 points for doing so. The team member would need to submit a picture of the kid and the team member, in the woods hunting - that's it. The idea is to get more kids involved in hunting, maybe this would introduce some of them to a terrific sport.

I like this as well. Not enough kids are getting out there!

sman

Loved the challenge, thanks to the judges and Brandon.

Changes I would suggest for next year.

Pick your own team mates.

Measure to 1/16".

Go to 9 birds per team.

Luck of the draw the way it is. Honestly the prizes were nice, but I was in it more for bragging rights. If there were no prizes I would still enter it next year. If we had won this year I would let my team mates take the prizes. By picking my team mates, I would know 100% that they are actually going and that they are really trying. I know in today's times that a lot of people have other things going on more important than turkey hunting, but turkey hunting is how I get away from everything that is stressing me out. That is my time and I take it very seriously. ADDICTED!!

If he grew it, it should count.

If it is legal for 3 guys to shoot 3 birds a piece, then they should all count.

If you don't like the pick your own team method and you want to meet new people, throw your name in the hat. If you think it would be unfair for people to pick their own team mates, once again you are in the challenge for the wrong reasons. To me it is not the prizes as much as it is the challenge of the challenge. If we can pick our own teams next year and mine wins, I will donate my share of them to who ever grips the most about it not being fair or right or I missed the concept of the challenge.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Yeah I say only allow Ga birds only.
The main problem I have with this is that it would exclude out of state hunters from competing. I have seen this forum grow to where it is the biggest and busiest hunting themed forum I have found. This multi-state culture has been a big benefit in many ways and having a "Georgia Only" challenge would only alienate our out of state brothers/sisters, many of them are long time members. For me, if we were to go to something like this, I could no longer support it and I would think that a number of sponsors would follow suit.

BubbaD

To Quote and paraphrase from and old Jerry Clower story about the time a bunch of small share holders (I think it was Delta) wanted to move the annual meeting around to different cities.....an older gentlemen who was a majority holder stood up and took the opportunity to welcome them all back to where they were.

Brandon and the gang would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to the challenge the way it is :biggrin2:

sman

I'm sorry I thought the thread was "What would you change?".

To me that is an opinionated thread. I thanked everybody envolved before I commented. I am grateful we had the challenge it added a cherry on top of my season.

If someone started a thread that said "Who wants to complain about the turkey challenge?", I would not have replied.

Once again, thanks to Brandon and everybody else who had a part of the challenge.

In your reference to welcome back to the turkey challenge and the way it is, I would like to say welcom to a thread that says "what would you change?".:biggrin2:

gobble157

I really liked the way it was ran.

Only suggestion for next year would be if you killed more than three birds you could enter all and take the three highest scores. Unlike deer hunting you can't tell whether you've got a turkey with super long spurs and if your bird had super long spurs then you pretty much had this contest in your hands. Sometimes in the turkey woods you just can't tell and I started killing nice birds towards the end of my season and this would have really helped my team out. Just my suggestion though.

Have a blessed summer.

David :flag: