What would you change?

MKW

Sounds good, SmokeyJoe. Put me in the pro category! ::ke:

My perfect contest would be individual entries with scoring just like it was with the exception of measuring the spurs to the closest 1/16th. And hunters that cannot/do not enter 3 gobblers by season's end are disqualified. Best combined(3 birds) score wins!:whip::stir::whip:
Anybody in??:huh:

Mike

Last edited:

Public Land Prowler

Yeah I say only allow Ga birds only.

The main problem I have with this is that it would exclude out of state hunters from competing. I have seen this forum grow to where it is the biggest and busiest hunting themed forum I have found. This multi-state culture has been a big benefit in many ways and having a "Georgia Only" challenge would only alienate our out of state brothers/sisters, many of them are long time members. For me, if we were to go to something like this, I could no longer support it and I would think that a number of sponsors would follow suit.
How about you are only allowed to enter birds taken in your home state then?

Different subject...

I can solve all the problems!Let's have one contest that was just like this one(maybe go to nearest 1/16" on the spurs)

Then have a seperate "EGO trip contest" Where everyone can pick their own teams and try to make themselves look good!That would solve everything. :stir: :rofl:

rex upshaw

I can solve all the problems!Let's have one contest that was just like this one(maybe go to nearest 1/16" on the spurs)

Then have a seperate "EGO trip contest" Where everyone can pick their own teams and try to make themselves look good!That would solve everything. :stir: :rofl:

:clap:

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Sign me up for the "Ego trip challenge"!! Ain't no one sober told me I look good in a looooong time.
:hammers:

:yawn:

:yawn:

SELFBOW

I really liked the way it was ran.

Only suggestion for next year would be if you killed more than three birds you could enter all and take the three highest scores. Unlike deer hunting you can't tell whether you've got a turkey with super long spurs and if your bird had super long spurs then you pretty much had this contest in your hands. Sometimes in the turkey woods you just can't tell and I started killing nice birds towards the end of my season and this would have really helped my team out. Just my suggestion though.

Have a blessed summer.

David :flag:

you already have seven days to decide.

How about this.
TEAMS ARE DRAWN AT END OF SEASON.
that way everyone has their birds already, It is luck of the draw either way.

Todd E

This current challenge is nothing more than who gets the best draw when teams are selected. :huh:

Evidence of human nature in that statement.

Folks do not like, nor in some cases can they handle what they are "dealt" in life. Rather than accepting the "challenge" they are faced with in life and making a go at it.......they would rather "hand pick" dealings in life, so that it can come out to the better for them.

I learned a long time ago what it meant to "load a softball team with ringers".....so I guess the desire to do so in bow contests and turkey contests is just as prevalent.

To make the "challenge" as simple as possible...............

Individual only contest with no prizes. Pure braggin' rights only. Put up or shut up and you absolutely have nothing to complain about.

brucemacgee19

I hope most of these are taken with a grain of salt...... and the challenge doesn't change much ......

maybe more prizes! I just got some in the mail today, and they are awsome:cool::cool::cool::cool:

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I hope most of these are taken with a grain of salt...... and the challenge doesn't change much ......

maybe more prizes! I just got some in the mail today, and they are awsome:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Just mailed one out to day and it was realy hard to part with it. Congrats PLP!!!! It's on the way.
Tim

Dupree

Maybe a regional divide so as to get drawn w/someone near you. Say like DNR's game management units. Not necessarilly where you live, could be where you hunt the most. When you join put in Reg IV . If you wanted to be in that regions drawing for teamates. Still keep it a statewide(& beyond) contest.

I like this idea. I called in 4 birds to the gun besides the 3 I killed but my team mates were in kentucky and south carolina. If my team mates were closer I could have put them on a bird, but we still all killed our limits in our home state. It was a great season, and one I won't soon forget!

Last edited:

Dupree

I'm sorry I thought the thread was "What would you change?".

To me that is an opinionated thread. I thanked everybody envolved before I commented. I am grateful we had the challenge it added a cherry on top of my season.

If someone started a thread that said "Who wants to complain about the turkey challenge?", I would not have replied.

Once again, thanks to Brandon and everybody else who had a part of the challenge.

In your reference to welcome back to the turkey challenge and the way it is, I would like to say welcom to a thread that says "what would you change?".:biggrin2:

I started this thread for suggestions for next years contest. Brandon and the judges may not even give a darn what is posted on this page. I know he put out a poll about allowing pay hunt birds for next year. This thread was kind of the same purpose. To get different suggestions and see what many may agree on. Even if nothing changed for the contest I would enter again. It made me hunt later in the year, and I was rewarded with two 3+ yr old birds that had I not been in the challenge I would have been fishing instead of hunting.

Public Land Prowler

Just mailed one out to day and it was realy hard to part with it. Congrats PLP!!!! It's on the way.
Tim
I did recieve that package today!How on gods green earth it got here so fast I haven't got a clue..With the cost of gas I may start mailing myself to work...:bounce:

Thanks Tim,and thanks to Mike Pentecost as well!

gobble157

you already have seven days to decide.

How about this.
TEAMS ARE DRAWN AT END OF SEASON.
that way everyone has their birds already, It is luck of the draw either way.

Yeah, just maybe! Sounds like we have a WINNER! :confused:

Dudley Do-Wrong

I got a better idea, why doesn't everyone start their own challenge, you can then make it the way you want it.

gobble157

LOL..excellent idea,and with 280+ contests to enter I might win something...I don't think the forum could handle that many turkey contest threads though..:bounce:

PLP, I'm with you bud. At least it will be fun...not saying this 2007 turkey contest wasn't fun. I had a blast, but some people just don't know how to be nice. Not to mention all the great people I met along the way. Can't wait til next year cause I've got a couple of people I'd love to hook up with on a hunt. :banana:

dutchman

What if there was NO CHALLENGE? How would we occupy our time?:bounce:

Best suggestions I've read are, in no particular order,
- Dump the prizes and let participants play for bragging rights only. I think this would weed out a fair number of folks.
- Round measurements to 1/16". If you find youself between marks on the tape, you round DOWN.
- No teams - every man, woman, or child for himself/herself.

Most importantly, some of us need to learn to read and understand the rules of the contest. Make yourself a list of what photos you need and carry it in your wallet so you won't mess things up. For example, how many times do people have to be aksed to show both ends of the tape in the beard photos?:huh:

Also, some of us need to learn how to make pictures. Some of the ones in the entry threads were really bad. Some were taken at odd angles that actually made measurements of beards and spurs appear longer than they might have been in reality. The rules plainly stated that blurred photos were unacceptable, yet many were entered.

And, all of us need to agree on how spurs and beards are to be measured. I saw plenty of spur photos that showed a very generous measurement, IMO. Assuming there will be a challenge next season, whomever decides to run it may want to get some photos up of the correct way to do this.

Of course, photgraphing these things by yourself isn't the best way to handle it...:banginghe

Steven Farr

What if there was NO CHALLENGE? How would we occupy our time?:bounce:

Best suggestions I've read are, in no particular order,
- Dump the prizes and let participants play for bragging rights only. I think this would weed out a fair number of folks.
- Round measurements to 1/16". If you find youself between marks on the tape, you round DOWN.
- No teams - every man, woman, or child for himself/herself.

Most importantly, some of us need to learn to read and understand the rules of the contest. Make yourself a list of what photos you need and carry it in your wallet so you won't mess things up. For example, how many times do people have to be aksed to show both ends of the tape in the beard photos?:huh:

Also, some of us need to learn how to make pictures. Some of the ones in the entry threads were really bad. Some were taken at odd angles that actually made measurements of beards and spurs appear longer than they might have been in reality. The rules plainly stated that blurred photos were unacceptable, yet many were entered.

And, all of us need to agree on how spurs and beards are to be measured. I saw plenty of spur photos that showed a very generous measurement, IMO. Assuming there will be a challenge next season, whomever decides to run it may want to get some photos up of the correct way to do this.

Of course, photgraphing these things by yourself isn't the best way to handle it...:banginghe

Well now everyone knows you were one of the judges!:rofl: