Wow, one of these trees in the wild!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They're very common around here on dryish ridges, but rarely get much size to them before they blight back out.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
They're very common around here on dryish ridges, but rarely get much size to them before they blight back out.
I would like to know that all the efforts to bring back a hybrid version that is close to the original trees will be a success. I know just a little about what a wonderful tree it was and the loss to men and wildlife when the blight killed them off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to know that all the efforts to bring back a hybrid version that is close to the original trees will be a success. I know just a little about what a wonderful tree it was and the loss to men and wildlife when the blight killed them off.
I have planted several versions from the ACF over the years. Most of them have succombed to the blight. I think they're slowly getting there.

menhadenman

I have planted several versions from the ACF over the years. Most of them have succombed to the blight. I think they're slowly getting there.
Is the membership worthwhile? I’ve heard what you’re saying - they’re close to a blight resistant tree. Imagine the wildlife 200 years ago with those trees dominating the landscape.

menhadenman

menhadenman

Found some more on a recent hike. A couple maybe 12’ tall! I bet these are plants from the TACF. Something is hammering them though. 4ECB66CE-4FAF-4874-9C67-F90933113D3B.jpegD3AF6A60-084B-46A9-953F-E43404218874.jpeg4FD42D74-A8E3-4B3D-977A-F2A147B2147D.jpeg

menhadenman

Well @NCHillbilly and @Raylander were right again. I put on 14 miles in the back country yesterday (unsuccessfully looking for bears) and came across a ridge that was loaded with American Chestnut.

Seeing several hundred took a little stream out of my excitement of seeing some the other day, but growing up on saltwater I thought these things were gonzo.

Really impressive though - this was a south facing ridge loaded with chestnut oak and a pretty big burn that looked about 5ish years old.

TJay

If you're a facebook person there is a group called "American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project". Lots and lots of info on there.