10 Myths and Thruths about Atheism

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
But according to the quote it would mean that I'm not a Christian, because the only reason Christians help the poor is because God will send them to he11 if they don't(which, by the way, is also untrue)

It means you do not have to be Christian or any religion to help the poor.

stringmusic

Let's deal with this one at a time, here, if you don't mind.

How can I define for you what living your life to the fullest is?

Maybe you living your life to the fullest is trying to emulate Jesus. Maybe it's like mine and doing everything you can do that you enjoy and makes you feel fulfilled, while you have time on this earth, and not leave it being thought of as a total tool?

I can't answer that for you in any more detail than the concept of the phrase.

As far as it giving life meaning, I can't answer that for you, either. I can tell you what I perceive as giving my life meaning, and that means no more to you than yours will to me.

The point being is that I was asking if the concepts were lost on you, or if you were just trying to punch a hole in the OP by saying that there was no objective way to measure any of that?

"living life to the fullest give life meaning" is a universal statement, meaning that Harris is speaking of inherent meaning. If every human "lives life to the fullest" they have meaning, according to him.

I'm asking the question of what living life to the fullest includes and how that gives life meaning.

You may not be able to answer the question and I understand that as you're not the one that made the original statement.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
In most cases, it seems that religion gives people bad reasons to behave well, when good reasons are actually available. Ask yourself, which is more moral, helping the poor out of concern for their suffering, or doing so because you think the creator of the universe wants you to do it, will reward you for doing it or will punish you for not doing it?

But according to the quote it would mean that I'm not a Christian, because the only reason Christians help the poor is because God will send them to he11 if they don't(which, by the way, is also untrue)

Exactly WHERE does it say what you have posted?

stringmusic

Exactly WHERE does it say what you have posted?

Ask yourself, which is more moral, helping the poor out of concern for their suffering, or doing so because you think the creator of the universe wants you to do it, will reward you for doing it or will punish you for not doing it?
The statement indicates that Christians only help the poor because Gods wants them to, and not because they are cocerned with their suffering, and that is not true.

stringmusic

It means you do not have to be Christian or any religion to help the poor.

No it doesn't. Again, it stating that atheists help the poor because they are concerned for the poor, but Christians only help because they have a fear of going to he11.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The statement indicates that Christians only help the poor because Gods wants them to, and not because they are cocerned with their suffering, and that is not true.

The quote mentions rewards and or suffering but it also starts out with "In most cases"

I think you are trying to add and omit to suit. Not working.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
No it doesn't. Again, it stating that atheists help the poor because they are concerned for the poor, but Christians only help because they have a fear of going to he11.

No actually it does not. It states:

In most cases, it seems that religion gives people bad reasons to behave well, when good reasons are actually available. Ask yourself, which is more moral, helping the poor out of concern for their suffering, or doing so because you think the creator of the universe wants you to do it, will reward you for doing it or will punish you for not doing it?

It gives 3 examples that IN MOST CASES are true.
It also asks if you help the poor out of concern for their suffering. You may be a Christian that does it for that purpose OR one of the other 3 options.

stringmusic

LOL, now it's in most cases. "In most cases" is clearly meant for the first sentence.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this issue Bullet, it clearly says what it says.

stringmusic

Can you answer post #3 Bullet?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
LOL, now it's in most cases. "In most cases" is clearly meant for the first sentence.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this issue Bullet, it clearly says what it says.

You are right...it says what it says....clearly.

The "in most cases" was to set the tone of "it seems that religion gives people bad reasons to behave well, when good reasons are actually available."
The second part "Ask yourself, which is more moral, helping the poor out of concern for their suffering, or doing so because you think the creator of the universe wants you to do it, will reward you for doing it or will punish you for not doing it?" is the example of the first sentence.
It is all tied together.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Can you answer post #3 Bullet?

I can give you an answer that would pertain to me.

I would live life in a way that made me happy with no regrets. I would be respectful of my family and friends and I would be respectful the laws and limits that society has set for me. I would try to accommodate all into living my life to the fullest. If I want to work 100hours a week because that makes me happy I'd do it. If I wanted to enjoy the outdoors I would do it. If spending an entire year in Alaska in a trappers cabin to see if I could make it was on my bucket list I would do it. Right now I have a good balance of family, friends and the outdoors and my life gauge is registering "full".

stringmusic

I can give you an answer that would pertain to me.

I would live life in a way that made me happy with no regrets. I would be respectful of my family and friends and I would be respectful the laws and limits that society has set for me. I would try to accommodate all into living my life to the fullest. If I want to work 100hours a week because that makes me happy I'd do it. If I wanted to enjoy the outdoors I would do it. If spending an entire year in Alaska in a trappers cabin to see if I could make it was on my bucket list I would do it. Right now I have a good balance of family, friends and the outdoors and my life gauge is registering "full".
Ok, so in what way does that give your life inherent meaning?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ok, so in what way does that give your life inherent meaning?

I am a part of nature. If I live to be 100yrs old it is a very short time. I hope to enjoy it and make a positive impact on the others around me. Those memories will be all that is left to carry my name on at some point. It is a basic part of life to be happy.

660griz

What does that even mean?

Can't answer for everyone...of course but, I can answer for me.

Carpe Diem

Being as good of a father and husband as I can and having as much fun(your fun may be different), and experiencing as much of the earth, as legally possible before I die because...that's it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Carpe Diem

Being as good of a father and husband as I can and having as much fun(your fun may be different), and experiencing as much of the earth, as legally possible before I die because...that's it.

:cheers:

660griz

The "in most cases" was to set the tone of "it seems that religion gives people bad reasons to behave well, when good reasons are actually available."

You see examples of this everyday. Even the news gets in on. Folks whining that we need to bring God back to prevent all the evil folks are doing. These folks, need a BAD reason to behave well.

I would feel MUCH better if folks were good because it made them feel bad to be bad, instead of because they don't want to burn in an imaginary he11.

That doesn't sound right but, I hope the meaning comes through. :)

WaltL1

I think you are really stretching what it says but I see your point and heres the thing -
I personally and I would bet everyone else here don't give a squat if the quote, in fact, said thats the ONLY reason ALL Christians do good things. I (we) know that isn't true in ALL cases. And the author didn't believe it either that's why he said in most cases. Maybe some cases would have been more accurate. Moral of the story is just because someone wrote it you still have to use your own brain and not just blindly believe it.

660griz

Subject #1:
Use to rape and pillage all the time. Found God and has changed his ways.

Subject #2:
Thought about raping and pillaging but, the thought of hurting someone physically, and possibly mentally for the rest of their life prevents him from doing any harm.

Which one do you want to live next to with your family?
Can you pick the bad reason for being good?

You can also substitute rape and pillage with being an alcoholic, drug abuser, wife beater, thief, murderer, etc. They just didn't have a reason to change until they found God.

stringmusic

I am a part of nature. If I live to be 100yrs old it is a very short time. I hope to enjoy it and make a positive impact on the others around me. Those memories will be all that is left to carry my name on at some point. It is a basic part of life to be happy.

Carpe Diem

Are these definitions inherent in all humans? Because "Life is imbued with meaning by being really and fully lived" is a universal statement.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Are these definitions inherent in all humans? Because "Life is imbued with meaning by being really and fully lived" is a universal statement.

In both instances we state they are definitions for us as individuals.
In fact my answer is a reply from a question YOU asked me about ME!

Every human has a definition inherent and unique unto themselves.