11/10 AM

RedFoxx

Well turned out she had a kidney stone , she passed it after we were there an hour or so and now everything’s back to normal thank the lord!!! She said the pain was worse then giving birth, I’m just glad she passed it
i had an Uncle that got kidney stones every year...for years and years...someone told him to get a dozen lemons and squeeze the juice and put a spoon of baking soda in it and drink it twice a year...he did and never had another kidney stone..worked for him and not that expensive to do and if it works will save a lot of pain!!

rugerfan

Went for a walk about, found a couple scrapes that haven't been cleaned out today, and some small rubs near those. My stomach is grumbling bad,got to go find some food.

Dupree

Headed to the house for a few hours until the rain passes. Did a little looking before I left and found a real good trail, which is what the buck was on. Pretty sure he hit this scrape too, since it had a puddle in the middle. IMG_1659.jpeg

basshappy

BANNED
Blessed morning in the woods. Arrived around 5:15 AM, changed into hunting gear and put boots on the ground about 5:30 AM. Love creepin' through the woods in the dark of night. Hearing the scurry of a furry creature, falling leaves hitting the forest floor, and this morning a bobcat in the dark. Took me nearly an hour to go maybe a hundred yards. Rolling every step, avoiding leaves and pine cones, pausing every 10 steps for a bit. Listening intently. Enjoying the dark of the woods.

I finally made it to a tree at a Y split in our road and posted up with my back to it. I figured with this position I could see right, straight and left. Plenty of space for deer. If only I had an eye behind me ...

Heard a bobcat behind me to my right. Closer and closer it was coming and I was excited to see it live in person. Nope. Turned off and I heard it distancing itself from me. So in an effort to maybe catch a glimpse I slowly moved to my right and placed my right fist on the ground. At this moment I was 1/3 visible outside of the pine tree. And Murphy reminded me he is almost always there - BAM! I hear the instantly recognizable sound of a whitetail moving with force and speed. Grrrr! Thank you senior bobcat! I roll back behind the tree and glance over to my left and see the large bodied deer about 40 feet behind me, slowing to an easy trot and then stopping. A few moments of me wishing I was Mad-Eye Moody from Harry Potter and then the thought of all that rollin' of each step, creepin' in and sitting ever so still and quiet, and then crunching leaves under my fist to see the bobcat which I never saw! Replaced with the fairly common thought "Well, maybe I should call it and get to work" ( I had to move trail cameras and blow leaves).

A look down our road yesterday mornin'.
20231111_142413.jpg

But the deer didn't blow, and slowed quickly to a trot and then a walk, so I held my position and just exhaled. Light was coming in now and the Autumn foliage proudly displayed their mustard and ketchup colors! Hold the line and give it time. I took another hour to roll step creep down our road to another spot where I popped a squat. Another maybe one hundred yards in 60 minutes. But this aspect of hunting is what I love and thrive in. Stealth, blending, trying to get close to the wilds.

I sat there and observed my surroundings. Listening and watching. We have a large squirrel population this year. We will do some hunting for "the other dark meat" soon. Falling leaves ... the floaters back and forth like the ship ride at theme parks and the spinners like a helicopter dropping down spinning 'round. Most acorns have dropped but some were dropping and hickory nuts smashing the ground as well. I tell my boy do not stand nor sit under a hickory tree!

While I am enjoying the morning - even the drizzling rain, I am ping ponging back and forth in my mind whether to keep hunting or call it and start working. It is early, maybe 8:30 AM, so I have time for both. The cloud cover ceases the thermal updraft as no sun rays were making it to lift the warm air. So I am looking at 3 apps with 3different prevailing wind directions on my phone ... using my baseplate orienteering compass to find true North and moving my position slightly. Although depending on which app I am either upwind, downwind, or sideways to the wind. LOL

Thr quietness of this area of our land is disturbed by that obvious it is a whitetail sound of blowing! Really?!?! Now I am getting blown? LOL. I look up and to my right. My position is lower than the deer by at least 15 feet change in elevation. I find her in the midst of the trees and she is just standing there. I figure what the heck? I stand up and move a few steps to my right and raise the rifle as I look up. And she is still standing there looking at me. I see her through the scope. Literally threading the needle due to trees between us. Likely 40 yards uphill. Center the hairs in her boiler room, say a prayer, and squeeze the trigger. BAM!

She moves off away from me and I try to visualize where she was standing. The trees look alike ... I walk up the hill toward the area and start walking in an 'S' shape away from where we were in the direction she headed. With the red and brown leaves and the rain I am not looking for blood at first pass. It is an ocular scan to see the white fur. I head down the hill to the left and circle back around to where I sat and first heard her blow. I make a mark where I post up so that I can return to it and hopefully find it easily. I find the mark and go through standing up, moving a few steps to my right and looking up the hill. I identify a dark bark tree as where she was and head toward it, then work my 'S' pattern away and to the right. And there she lay, probably 25 yards from where she received the shot. Not a lot of blood, and I didn't take time to backtrack to see blood. With the rain and the work to do I had to move.

20231111_150631.jpg

A benefit to the rain was no flies and very few yellow jackets. Let it rain!!!! I processed her on the ground and packed up my meat bounty before moving her remains. Then it was time for work - blowing leaves, moving cameras, and packing up to head out. As I blew the leaves I thought of the morning and the actions taken that led to the opportunity, and how just 3 years ago I never had hunted whitetail. Hard work (usually) pays dividends.

20231110_115548.jpg

Last edited: