Best round for a 270?

joehughes1965

I reloaded 130 grain nosler ballistic tips for many years and trailed very very few deer. I now shoot either Winchester Supreme Silver Ballistic tip or the Fail Safe. Both have worked great for me. One other thing to consider is where to hit your target. I have a brother-in-law that believes in neck shooting only. My philosophy is to hit the the front shoulder. Shoot through both of them if possible. This will drop a deer in its tracks 99% of the time. The other 1% only goes a few feet.

Ozzie

The cheap Remington 150 grain core-lok have been good to me. Great expansion, and the deer just drop cold.

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I reload my own,, 150gr,, Nosler Ballastic tips. I shoot a Rem7400 auto 270 ,,, and the teflon-tips cycle much better than a solid tip.

gabowman

An old friend of mine shoots silvertips, I believe 130 grains. (Not sure about the grains though, maybe 135?) Anyway, he kills his share and always a good clean kill without the deer hardly ever running more than just out of sight of him. He really believes in the silvertips. That's all he'll shoot

Hawghead

The fail safes have been discontinued and replaced with the new xp3 elite. I shoot fed prem 130 ballistic tips and never had a problem with them since 1998. Ive shot plenty of deer with them. i just got a new rifle and going to try the barnes x in that one to try something different.

Duck

Sierra GameKing 130gr. Spitzer boattail soft point for over 25 years.:banana: Enough said.:pop:

Alan in GA

those are what I might try,,,

01Foreman400 said:
130 gr. Barnes Triple Shocks X Bullets.

Darrell
I tried some of the very first 'X' bullets. The newest grooved Triple Xs look great and have good reports.
Alan in GA.

Retired Army Guy

I used to use 140 grain Ballistic Tips, no more I switched to Nosler Acubonds this year. Same grain shoots almost identical to the Ballistic Tips. I now use my old ballistic Tips for target practice. Every deer I killed with ballistic tips either did not penetrate or blew up like a grenade!

Duck

Almost forgot, tried the 130gr ballistic tips on deer and hated them. They blew up inside of deer and no exit wound and no blood trail.:huh:

bettyboop

We went and sited in 270 and Muzzleloader this past weekend. This will be the first year I've hunted with the 270. We were using Hornady 130 grain and it was awesome, very smooth shooting rounds. Come on gun season!!!