Did You Buy A Gun Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dub

If it tries to be picky with ammo find some fiocchi's. Mine loves the fiocchi's and does pretty good with the cci's once I shot it a good bit.

Rimfires have always struck me as funny that way.

I'm sure it's just my imagination but I've run into some fickle eaters with the few rimfire guns I've used.

In some cases I'd say it was ammo "quality" (price).....when some guns would run the good stuff much better.....but then I've taken the same good stuff....used in another gun which ran it well...along with the cheap ammo that it also ran really well. :huh:

I've never stuck with any rimfire long enough to iron out a pattern. Just been in the habit of buying the bulk stuff occasionally when I'd run across it.

Keep thinking that one of these days I'll tear down my ancient 10/22 and deep clean it then reconfigure it into a new stock, trigger & barrel and scope it.

Yes I’ve been told it’s finicky but there’s a few u tube that show several minor issues mostly with fit finish and one with the mags. I haven’t ran into any yet but have just shot fifty rounds of cci 40 gr thru mine. I’m going to take it apart and do a thorough cleaning on it that I do with all new firearms.

It's going to be a fun pistola.

A buddy brings his along in his tackle box.

When things get really, really slow....it makes for fun plinking.

22mag is fun stuff. 30rds of it is bigtime fun stuff.

Good practice on the thorough initial cleaning. (y)

I'll be the first to admit that Glocks spoiled me on that. All it took was shooting with a buddy on his initial range trip with his brand new Rock Island 1911 to become a believer in NOT skipping that good initial clean & lube.

He'd literally just bought the gun....broke it outa the box...loaded the mag and went to town on the paper bad guy target...or tried to go to town.

Lotta problems. I loaned him a couple magazines and it ran better. Still had a few issues.

Gun looked like it was well lubed to me...very well lubed, in fact.

Turns out we figured out that the lube was more of rust preventative than it was a proper weapon lube. Seems logical....guns are made & initially stored in Philippines....shipped over.....more storage and transit, etc.

New mags generally all benefit from being left fully loaded for a couple days prior to use.

Years later I kept that in mind when I bought my first Rock Island. Sucker was dripping in "oil". Pulled the mags out...loaded 'em and dropped them into my range bag. Tore down the gun and soaked everything in Kroil overnight.....thorough wipe down the next day and heavily dosed with Weapon Shield during reassembly.

It's run from the very first round through the last with zero issues. Accurate gun that performs well.

Sorry for the long story....just reminded me of a lesson learned. Not all guns can be treated like Glocks. :LOL:

georgia_home

finicky 22lrs stink.

I’ve got a Remington speed master, that’s the semi auto rifle. It shoots anything. I never tried short or long, just lr. but cousins had one in the 70’s that shot everything. This thing has shot any 22lr I ever loaded in it.

I have a ruger sr22 Pistol. Just the opposite. Only reliably shoots the remmy golden bullets. tried 2 or 3 RN lead bullets. They won’t even feed right. And with most any ammo, won’t eject/extract if dirty. (100—200 rnds and must clean. Brush and scrub chamber or else!)

yes, they are picky!

Rimfires have always struck me as funny that way.

I'm sure it's just my imagination but I've run into some fickle eaters with the few rimfire guns I've used.

In some cases I'd say it was ammo "quality" (price).....when some guns would run the good stuff much better.....but then I've taken the same good stuff....used in another gun which ran it well...along with the cheap ammo that it also ran really well. :huh:

I've never stuck with any rimfire long enough to iron out a pattern. Just been in the habit of buying the bulk stuff occasionally when I'd run across it.

Keep thinking that one of these days I'll tear down my ancient 10/22 and deep clean it then reconfigure it into a new stock, trigger & barrel and scope it.

It's going to be a fun pistola.

A buddy brings his along in his tackle box.

When things get really, really slow....it makes for fun plinking.

22mag is fun stuff. 30rds of it is bigtime fun stuff.

Good practice on the thorough initial cleaning. (y)

I'll be the first to admit that Glocks spoiled me on that. All it took was shooting with a buddy on his initial range trip with his brand new Rock Island 1911 to become a believer in NOT skipping that good initial clean & lube.

He'd literally just bought the gun....broke it outa the box...loaded the mag and went to town on the paper bad guy target...or tried to go to town.

Lotta problems. I loaned him a couple magazines and it ran better. Still had a few issues.

Gun looked like it was well lubed to me...very well lubed, in fact.

Turns out we figured out that the lube was more of rust preventative than it was a proper weapon lube. Seems logical....guns are made & initially stored in Philippines....shipped over.....more storage and transit, etc.

New mags generally all benefit from being left fully loaded for a couple days prior to use.

Years later I kept that in mind when I bought my first Rock Island. Sucker was dripping in "oil". Pulled the mags out...loaded 'em and dropped them into my range bag. Tore down the gun and soaked everything in Kroil overnight.....thorough wipe down the next day and heavily dosed with Weapon Shield during reassembly.

It's run from the very first round through the last with zero issues. Accurate gun that performs well.

Sorry for the long story....just reminded me of a lesson learned. Not all guns can be treated like Glocks. :LOL:

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

Yes I’ve been told it’s finicky but there’s a few u tube that show several minor issues mostly with fit finish and one with the mags. I haven’t ran into any yet but have just shot fifty rounds of cci 40 gr thru mine. I’m going to take it apart and do a thorough cleaning on it that I do with all new firearms.

I remember when the AMT 22 magnum were introduced they came with a card recommending specific ammo type to use for dependable feed/operation. I believe Winchester was recommended due to burn rate.

My memory ain't what it used to be.

rosewood

I am surprised those golden bullets work for some. They have been absolutely the worse .22LR I have tried in any gun. They jam/misfeed frequently in both my 10/22 and 22/45 Mk3. Also, I have found many of the bullets are jacked up in the case. Very poor quality control.

Rosewood

rosewood

Nope, but I finally finished building a 1911. My late pa-in-law gave me a Colt NM slide and a Remington Rand NM slide with bomar sight rail on top several years ago before he passed. I built out the Colt on a RIA frame (bought new from Sarco) as Goverment spec maybe 2 years ago. I call that one my Rock Island Colt. Just got around to finishing the Remington Rand slide. Picked up another filipino 1911 frame (bare) from a guy on ODT and just finished fitting all of the parts together. It says AP International on the frame. Have to get to the range and give it a whirl. Don't know what to call this one. Maybe my RRAP 45?

I do wish he could have seen them both. They sat in my closet in a ammo can until well after he passed.

Rosewood612021122146.jpg

rosewood

I didn't notice until after I got it together the marks on the back of the slide. They are on both sides, guessing someone got the slide stuck on a frame and they used pliers to pull it open??

Rosewood

rosewood

Well done, @rosewood

I am sure he’d be proud of you getting it up and running.
Thanks Dub!

Yes he would be. He was on an Air Force pistol team for years (before I knew him) and had a few 1911 competition pistols. I do not know if the slides he gave me were once slides he used and he upgraded or if he just acquired them over the years, I never got around to asking him the history of them. I wished I had. They history I know, he gave me the slides and now I can shoot them. :)

Rosewood

Dub

I didn't buy a gun today........but I did get over to Best Buy for some gun-related gear: large screen 4K TV & another AppleTV unit for it.

Bought it.....and got it upstairs in the hallway.....awaiting my afternoon's work in the soon-to-be mancave.

Just knocked out a pot of coffee.....now time to get to work on building & installing the shelves on my reloading bench and getting measurements for backing material....either going pegboard or simple paneling that will get painted and screwed in place. Will get the light bars mounted in it today, too.

Gonna get the TV on the dresser for temporary connecting to internet, cable TV & AppleTV. Will wall mount it tomorrow.

Gonna get some new wire and use the speakers I've had waiting around. Mancave will have a home theater system in addition to reloading presses, gun safe and comfortable leather wing chair.

Darkhorse

You didn't mention a new 4K AV receiver to tie that Home theatre together with. Or a 4K DVD player.
You might need to go back to Best Buy and get those things and while your there get a spool of their premium speaker wire. It's good stuff.
Your almost there.

Dub

You didn't mention a new 4K AV receiver to tie that Home theatre together with. Or a 4K DVD player.
You might need to go back to Best Buy and get those things and while your there get a spool of their premium speaker wire. It's good stuff.
Your almost there.

Was gonna go with Monoprice for the wire. Not sure if my ancient receiver is up for the task, though.

So much to get done in that room. Almost don’t know where to start.

It’s been the inside “attic” room for the last 23 years.

Gonna be a comfortable refuge once I get done.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Went and picked up this Rossi Auto .22 WMR today..

IMG_20210702_113357895.jpg

Made an offhand order a few months ago, and forgot about it..lol

Anyway, I mounted a TruGlo 4x scope that I had on hand, bore sighted the thing, and started walking 'em in at 75 yards...Settled for this group of three, below the leaf I poked in as a marker. Shoots pretty good!

IMG_20210702_113543834_HDR.jpg

This was shooting Aguila 40gr JSPs at 1875 fps. Gonna have to shoot up a brick of these before I worry about seeing if it likes something else better. ?

Action is smooth, trigger ain't bad, functions perfectly, and overall the little rifle is nicer than I was expecting it to be for the price.

Would love to see a 5rd mag, but you can't have everything, I guess...

rosewood

Was gonna go with Monoprice for the wire. Not sure if my ancient receiver is up for the task, though.
I just realized the sub amp I have in my car and truck, I bought them both around 1995 or so and have had them in a few different vehicles. Still work great. I think the sub in my truck I bought maybe a year or 2 later.

My surround receiver was given to me and I believe it is 20 years or so old. I found a blue tooth adapter that has a 2 channel rca output that I added to it so I can bluetooth audio from my cell phone or tablet. Works great!

Rosewood

Darkhorse

So much to get done in that room. Almost don’t know where to start.

It’s been the inside “attic” room for the last 23 years.

Gonna be a comfortable refuge once I get done.

If you want to view that new TV in 4K then you need a 4K receiver to let the signal through. That's why I had to purchase the whole nine yards in 4K.

Dub

If you want to view that new TV in 4K then you need a 4K receiver to let the signal through. That's why I had to purchase the whole nine yards in 4K.

Yep. We went 4K with the den TV a few years ago. The AppleTV unit is 4K and so is the cableTV (some channels).

Lots of YouTube content available that really demonstrates 4K capabilities.

We used a Bose soundbar & remote subwoofer in den. It is so effective that it has me wanting to do the same in the man cave.

“Problem“ is I‘ve had these other speakers waiting to be used again. Center plus 3 pairs that can really spread sound throughout the room.

It is going to be a fun project. Good sized room as it’s a bonus room over the small garage.

I will look into modern receivers and see what is available. I would like to add a powered subwoofer, too.

Gonna be a worthy project.

My son saw me getting the older speakers out and he offered, “Ah…..hey, Dad…..you know they make awesome headphone s, right….”. Little guy doesn‘t understood horsepower or wattage. The big dogs gonna eat, lol.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

My subwoofer is pretty old also. I wanted Klipsch speakers but best buy was out. In fact they were out of almost every brand of speakers, so I bought 5 new ones, to make up a surround set off the Yamaha website. They sound better than I expected. My old subwoofer is a Pioneer and it stopped outputting sound a few weeks ago. I found a Klipsch on sale at best buy and I was ready to order it when I got the old subwoofer working again. I might still get it.
The Yamaha speakers were intended to be temporary until I could round up the funds for a nice set of Klipsch's but they sound so good I'm rethinking it. One thing that helps that is the speakers are almost a perfect match for the power output of the receiver. I spent the necessary time studying the specification tables to closely match them to each other.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I gave a good pair of Cerwin Vega bookshelves away a short time ago. I still have an Infinity center channel and 2 satellites. Now here I find myself with the sound out on my big unit and wondering what type of surround system I should get for the other room.

Dub

My subwoofer is pretty old also. I wanted Klipsch speakers but best buy was out. In fact they were out of almost every brand of speakers, so I bought 5 new ones, to make up a surround set off the Yamaha website. They sound better than I expected. My old subwoofer is a Pioneer and it stopped outputting sound a few weeks ago. I found a Klipsch on sale at best buy and I was ready to order it when I got the old subwoofer working again. I might still get it.
The Yamaha speakers were intended to be temporary until I could round up the funds for a nice set of Klipsch's but they sound so good I'm rethinking it. One thing that helps that is the speakers are almost a perfect match for the power output of the receiver. I spent the necessary time studying the specification tables to closely match them to each other.

A powered sub with the crossover freqs dialed in makes hyooooge difference.

I'm looking forward to getting to that stage with the room....I'm a ways off.

Did run buy Harbor Freight today & got another light that's going on my reloading bench tonight. It's unreal what they have for inexpensive shop lights.

Left there and did swing into Best Buy again.....never took my wallet out....just looking and getting ideas.

Very glad I already have the speakers. In my case it's going to be fairly straightforward when I reach that point in the room setup.....

a) new spool of speaker wire.

b) updated receiver (old one may be moved to the garage and run a set of bookshelves out there. CD player right along with it. Will have to "rack it" inside a storage cabinet to keep dust out.

c) powered subwoofer

I gave a good pair of Cerwin Vega bookshelves away a short time ago. I still have an Infinity center channel and 2 satellites. Now here I find myself with the sound out on my big unit and wondering what type of surround system I should get for the other room.

So many options.

If I didn't already have speakers I'd be looking at the wireless deals. Heck.....I'm still looking at the wireless deals, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.