Did you reload anything today #4

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
We loaded the 700 9mm cases that I prepped the other day. This gives my 1,000 of my favorite match load in an ammo can. I’m going to prep another 250 or 300 tomorrow to fill the can.

Xtreme 115gr target hollow points over 6.2gr of HS-6.
You and the hand press are killing all of my excused for not loading more.

Dub

If it makes you feel better, I have an extra set of hands when dropping powder and seating bullets. A friend drops powder with an RCBS Uniflow powder drop, and I seat bullets with his Rockchucker.

I’m hoping that wherever I move in August has somewhere for a loading bench of my own.

No doubt whatsoever that you'll make excellent use of it, man.

You are getting it done.....bigtime done.

Liberty

If it makes you feel better, I have an extra set of hands when dropping powder and seating bullets. A friend drops powder with an RCBS Uniflow powder drop, and I seat bullets with his Rockchucker.

I’m hoping that wherever I move in August has somewhere for a loading bench of my own.
I got a friend of mine into reloading that didn’t have a “place” to do it. He mounted the single stage equipment on a 2x8 clamped to a table.

menhadenman

Finally… 168s, Varget, and fresh 308 Starline brass for breakfast.

80460D12-2AF7-4A50-8F96-9BD27CE35043.jpeg

My Tikka CTR does really well with the 175s over 42.5 gr of Varget but it’s pretty slow from the 20” barrel (2500 fps range if I recall). I’ve shot it to 750 yards and it’s pretty reliable to 500 yards… as in I have yet to miss a 12” plate going in and out in 50 yard increments.

But Blue Collar reloading had a good price on a big box of 168s and I had to bite. I have no reason to believe they won’t shoot. BC is close (0.535 vs 0.545) and I wanted to get a little more speed.

I only have Nosler, Hornady, and Hodgdon reloading data (no Sierra manual) so looked up what companies were stuffing behind a 168.

B5618B5D-5C38-465E-ACDF-CABD0C224DE2.jpeg

Between those references and several sources of online banter it looks like 46 grains is about the max at 2.800” OAL. Most velocities are 22-24” barrels so I’m guessing we’ll see 100 fps slower?

Now with this rifle I was lazy on measuring max CBTO like I’ve done elsewhere since the factory ammo at 2.800” I tested (maybe three manufacturers and five different projectiles) all shot great.

But I measured the magazine just for kicks… online sources suggested 2.98” but my own magazine says 2.96”.

A75FD33A-3B50-4F41-8782-D412E2727AFF.jpeg

Not that I wanted to go that long, just wanted to know whether going a little over 2.800” max would be an issue. My experience is T3x has a longer throat anyhow so I went to 2.810” just to leave a little more wiggle room for pressure - since 46.0 gr could be a little hot.

3E21D573-158A-4AAF-BDB3-CC2DF570CAC7.jpeg

Loaded up five rounds each of 44.5, 45.0, 45.5, and 46.0 grains. CCI 200s by the way.

A51458E0-C672-43DC-ABC6-87643C8A087C.jpeg

I’m normally wrong on most of my predictions, but I’ll work up from the low end with my Labradar and if there’s a winner in there I’ll probably load up 250 or so for practice this spring.

Plan on having this 308 as my backup to my 7 RM for my (Lord willing) 2024 bull elk hunt.

Several other capable rifles to chose from that are either lighter, faster, bigger thump, or reliable, but I have shot these two very comfortable at distance. And confidence goes a long way in a rifle or rod!

Range report soon I hope!

deerslayer357

Loaded 8x once fired 300 Win Mag with 168 grn TTSX’s. Need to start more 6.5 MB when I get some time.

Dub

View attachment 1295779

My Tikka CTR does really well with the 175s over 42.5 gr of Varget but it’s pretty slow from the 20” barrel (2500 fps range if I recall). I’ve shot it to 750 yards and it’s pretty reliable to 500 yards… as in I have yet to miss a 12” plate going in and out in 50 yard increments.

But Blue Collar reloading had a good price on a big box of 168s and I had to bite. I have no reason to believe they won’t shoot. BC is close (0.535 vs 0.545) and I wanted to get a little more speed.

I only have Nosler, Hornady, and Hodgdon reloading data (no Sierra manual) so looked up what companies were stuffing behind a 168.

View attachment 1295785

Between those references and several sources of online banter it looks like 46 grains is about the max at 2.800” OAL. Most velocities are 22-24” barrels so I’m guessing we’ll see 100 fps slower?

Now with this rifle I was lazy on measuring max CBTO like I’ve done elsewhere since the factory ammo at 2.800” I tested (maybe three manufacturers and five different projectiles) all shot great.

But I measured the magazine just for kicks… online sources suggested 2.98” but my own magazine says 2.96”.

View attachment 1295781

Not that I wanted to go that long, just wanted to know whether going a little over 2.800” max would be an issue. My experience is T3x has a longer throat anyhow so I went to 2.810” just to leave a little more wiggle room for pressure - since 46.0 gr could be a little hot.

View attachment 1295783

Loaded up five rounds each of 44.5, 45.0, 45.5, and 46.0 grains. CCI 200s by the way.

View attachment 1295784

I’m normally wrong on most of my predictions, but I’ll work up from the low end with my Labradar and if there’s a winner in there I’ll probably load up 250 or so for practice this spring.

Plan on having this 308 as my backup to my 7 RM for my (Lord willing) 2024 bull elk hunt.

Several other capable rifles to chose from that are either lighter, faster, bigger thump, or reliable, but I have shot these two very comfortable at distance. And confidence goes a long way in a rifle or rod!

I believe my .308 TAC A1 is running those same mags.

Thanks for showing the measurements. I’ve yet to load anything for it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I still have some 175s loaded for the 26" 700 I had...I'll get the measurement for you. I believe I have had them out to 2.850. I know my .260 is 2.850.

168 FGMM would shoot like a laser at 600 from mine...I mean stack them in the same spot. It would open a little @ 700 and 800-900 it was hard to hit anywhere consistently.

I will get you the info from the Sierra manual too.

menhadenman

I still have some 175s loaded for the 26" 700 I had...I'll get the measurement for you. I believe I have had them out to 2.850. I know my .260 is 2.850.

168 FGMM would shoot like a laser at 600 from mine...I mean stack them in the same spot. It would open a little @ 700 and 800-900 it was hard to hit anywhere consistently.

Thanks buddy

Dub

View attachment 1295779

View attachment 1295785

View attachment 1295781

View attachment 1295783

View attachment 1295784

Sierra has (had ?) an awesome reloading app.

It has their expansive catalog of bullets listed with their load data for each.

They have a slider at the bottom to increase <--> decrease the desired velocity.

Recommended loads at the bottom for velocity (hunting) and accuracy.

I'm not sure what the logistics are of acquiring the app. I know that @Jester896 was looking into a while ago and I believe he determined it was no longer available.

I don't see any of their newer bullets that show up in their catalog....the latest being some of the tipped GameKings.

IMG_3122.jpeg

The app has the case drawing, specs & history of each cartridge.

IMG_3119.png

IMG_3120.png

IMG_3121.png

You then select the bullet you want to see, in this case it is the .308 168gr Tipped MatchKing.

Here is the minimum charge they show for Varget...

IMG_3117.jpeg

Here is the maximum charge they show for Varget....

IMG_3118.jpeg

Sierra's manual is awesome for certain.

Huge listing of cartridges & bullets and load data to support.

I wish they'd offer update packets every so often. Could simply add them to the binder.

I wish this app was updated and kept current, too.

Super handy.

menhadenman

Thanks @Dub looks like 46 at the max is just a hair over what they show so that’s good confirmation that I won’t be struggling to open the bolt. I’d be pumped to get an accurate load around 2800 fps but doubt that 20” barrel will get me there? Hoping to sneak out to the range this morning to send a few - will report back if I can.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Thanks @Dub looks like 46 at the max is just a hair over what they show so that’s good confirmation that I won’t be struggling to open the bolt. I’d be pumped to get an accurate load around 2800 fps but doubt that 20” barrel will get me there? Hoping to sneak out to the range this morning to send a few - will report back if I can.

Sounds great.

Looking forward to seeing your workup.

I will also be loading for a pair of 20” .308 Win bolt guns….Ruger RPR and Tikka Tac A1.

I was warned ahead of time that the Tikka may deliver slightly slower than expected velocities and not to be alarmed.

That is cool with me as my wants for these two is consistent accuracy.

Just looked on ap store and looks like Sierra no longer available on Apple?

Yep. That is what @Jester896 concluded, I believe.

Dang shame, too.

Truly the most useful reloading app I have seen.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it really doesn't matter what speed it runs as long as you know what it is. It sure makes it easier to dial up ;)

I think the 175gr loads that ran 2612 in the 26" run just above or at 2550 in the 20". Haven't played too much...it would be nice to finish one project before I start another....maybe when I retire.