Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipKing

Took my 6.5cm Ridgeline and my .308 Savage MSR Long Range to 600 yards yesterday. First time shooting distance, had a good time doing it.

Nimrod71

Sunday afternoon, our regular day at the range. My friends and I had a good time, they out shot me. I think part of my problem is I shoot to many different rifles, they only shoot one. Today I carried a 223, 22-250 and 6 mm Rem. The first on the line was the 223, a Savage. I had two loads to try, one with Dogtown bullets and the other with Hornady. The Dogtowns group was about the size of a half dollar, the Hornady 60 gr. all five rounds made one big hole. I felt pretty good.

Next up was the 22-250 Rem 700. I have been having problems with this rifle, but I found out it was not the rifle but the scope had gone bad. I replaced the scope a couple of weeks ago. Last week I shot two nice groups so I figured today would be about the same. I was wrong. I had changed powder but I used the same bullets and let me tell you, it made a heck of a difference. I knew there would be some difference but I didn't expect a full inch lower and a 3/4 inch spread. The only good thing from this was the two groups I shot were in line with the target dot as last week.

By the time I got to the 6 mm Rem. I was a little put out. Last week when I shot it grouped very well, 4 bullets making two holes about 1/8 inch apart. Todays loads were a little different, last week the load was 39.2 gr. today by error, the load was 39 gr. My wife distracted me as I was setting the beam scale and I missed setting the .2 on the beam. I expected a little difference, I didn't know it would make that much of a difference, or was it my hold was off. To shorten the story, lets just say it was the both. I could kill pond cooters but it wouldn't be head shots. The lesson from this is to always pay attention to what you are doing and double check your powder and scale. Then go back and check it again.

Now, there is always next week end, time to loadem up again. Everyone have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

chuckdog

Sunday afternoon, our regular day at the range. My friends and I had a good time, they out shot me. I think part of my problem is I shoot to many different rifles, they only shoot one. Today I carried a 223, 22-250 and 6 mm Rem. The first on the line was the 223, a Savage. I had two loads to try, one with Dogtown bullets and the other with Hornady. The Dogtowns group was about the size of a half dollar, the Hornady 60 gr. all five rounds made one big hole. I felt pretty good.

Next up was the 22-250 Rem 700. I have been having problems with this rifle, but I found out it was not the rifle but the scope had gone bad. I replaced the scope a couple of weeks ago. Last week I shot two nice groups so I figured today would be about the same. I was wrong. I had changed powder but I used the same bullets and let me tell you, it made a heck of a difference. I knew there would be some difference but I didn't expect a full inch lower and a 3/4 inch spread. The only good thing from this was the two groups I shot were in line with the target dot as last week.

By the time I got to the 6 mm Rem. I was a little put out. Last week when I shot it grouped very well, 4 bullets making two holes about 1/8 inch apart. Todays loads were a little different, last week the load was 39.2 gr. today by error, the load was 39 gr. My wife distracted me as I was setting the beam scale and I missed setting the .2 on the beam. I expected a little difference, I didn't know it would make that much of a difference, or was it my hold was off. To shorten the story, lets just say it was the both. I could kill pond cooters but it wouldn't be head shots. The lesson from this is to always pay attention to what you are doing and double check your powder and scale. Then go back and check it again.

Now, there is always next week end, time to loadem up again. Everyone have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

You're absolutely right about too many irons in the fire. It's great to have other rifles to shoot while waiting on barrels to cool, but you can get your cheek weld and other influencers out of whack between rifles.

I doubt the .2 grain made the difference with the 6mm. We all have those frustrating head shaking moments.

With the 22-250 it sounds like you bumped up the velocity. I'd go back to the previous load, or try to velocity match the new powder's charge.

I love to shoot those 1 hole groups, but with the good those "what am I doing" days happen!

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I went out this morning... kinda just wanted to shoot a couple rounds. Maybe kill something, driving our clear cuts hoping for a pig or yote. Ended up verifying my zero with three rounds out to 300 yards. It was dead on.

I have been thinking about changing out my Larue for something lighter, but it has never let me down... plus, I don’t baby my rifles so... after seven years of lugging it around and three different scopes it has found a permanent home.E37762B2-2BF1-4A92-A1A0-37E0C0767DA8.jpeg

chuckdog

I loaded a 50 200gr Berry flat nose hollow point .45 ACP using 7.2grains of the Vihtavuori N340 powder.

I just came in from testing 24 rounds from my XD-M and it does quite well. Shooting only 33' I don't know how much a fella can say about accuracy. I kept them all in about 2"+- a fuzz group.

It meters very good through a new style (Bottle Type) Lee Auto Drum measure. Of the 50 I loaded I weighed every 10th round and it was dead on each time.

Very clean brass after firing and didn't see the first bit of powder residue inside the pistol. It's my first trial of the entire brand, and for what it usually sells for it should and did deliver premium results. (y)

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

Gotta love patterning those turkey loads.

Buckshot below....but he describes well during the slow-motion portion.....

Can't do the you tube thing, but glad you got to get out and burn some powder!

Darkhorse

Can't do the you tube thing, but glad you got to get out and burn some powder!
Dub said:
Gotta love patterning those turkey loads.

Yeah I love it. Along with patterning 3.5" loads with my Browning Maxus I remove the fiber optic turkey sights after season. So every year I get to sight my Turkey gun back in again.
I do it on sandbags on a bench. Everytime I touch off one of those 3.5" shells the gun nearly jumps out of my hands. At least one hand always loses the grip.
Gotta love those 3.5 inch turkey loads.

Dub

It always is funny to me seeing the reaction of someone who is new to turkey hunting at the range for the first time.

Remember a buddy was sorta lax in his shoulder mount....touched off a 3.5” magnum load at the patterning board.....that sucker slammed into him like a mule kicking him.

Funny reaction.

My SuperNova dang near cycles itself with those loads.

It is still fun to me, though.

Nimrod71

I just got back form the rifle range and I had a good time shooting and talking with my friends. Notice I didn't say anything about my shooting. Well, I didn't have any trouble with loading and firing the rifles, they just wouldn't make the bullets hit the target in the same place. Riflemen expect a five shot group in a single hole in the center of the target. I know some that can do that, just not me. Toady I shot what has become my standard rifles, Savage 223, Rem 700 in 22-250, Rem 700 varmint in 6 mm Rem. I fired the same loads I have been using for the past couple of months and I my shooting is variable. It seems one trip I will shoot one or the other pretty good, the next trip another rifle will shoot better. The groups will very from dime size up to half dollar size. Oh well if I shoot them enough I may get better, or I may talk my wife into letting me buy a couple of more rifles since these are worn out.

Dub

I just got back form the rifle range and I had a good time shooting and talking with my friends. Notice I didn't say anything about my shooting. Well, I didn't have any trouble with loading and firing the rifles, they just wouldn't make the bullets hit the target in the same place. Riflemen expect a five shot group in a single hole in the center of the target. I know some that can do that, just not me. Toady I shot what has become my standard rifles, Savage 223, Rem 700 in 22-250, Rem 700 varmint in 6 mm Rem. I fired the same loads I have been using for the past couple of months and I my shooting is variable. It seems one trip I will shoot one or the other pretty good, the next trip another rifle will shoot better. The groups will very from dime size up to half dollar size. Oh well if I shoot them enough I may get better, or I may talk my wife into letting me buy a couple of more rifles since these are worn out.

Got me grinning here.

I know what you mean...wanting to be dialed in every time at the range.

My range visits have been scarce in the last six months.

Did have an opportunity today to get out and run a few magazines through two guns.

First up was four mags through the P365 that I bought some time back.

Then ran a box through a .45 gubmint.

I only used the one mag in the little poodle-shooter. Wanted to evaluate the gun only. I will play with various mags later on. I have some 15rd that I’d like to run next session.

For today, though...just used the one that came with it.

It does afford a full grip, though. Little gun actually handled itself very nicely...above its weight class.

I shot the standard “Bad Guy” targets with each gun.

Rate of fire was a trigger press as soon as front sight crossed target.

Came up from low-ready and put a round in target then chased it with rest of mag.

72D024B7-158D-43CD-AAF5-AA1FE0C110F6.jpeg

5B5F25A4-2B41-439A-9A83-25BD04F20FC0.jpeg

1st magazine on left side of head....2nd on right.

C3E72A6F-684F-4AC1-B276-BAA1EF72AB63.jpegEA714310-9BC3-4155-B52D-885B63849891.jpeg

3rd & 4th were in gut. By then I was more comfortable with the gun. High grip, no slide bite, letting it ride quickly.

3AFAAEBB-DC5E-4864-BAB5-45B1DC03BAD8.jpeg

Four mags of the pocket pistol out of the way....then ran 50 rounds through the .45. Same routine...up from low ready with shot at a specific area, then chase it with remainder of mag.

No other shooting is more fun to me than a 5” 1911 in .45acp. Feels good. Feels right.

E02D27A7-48B9-4789-BA25-A5D265A6DD3F.jpegEC3B3CF1-15D3-4F16-9566-1A42C184DCD5.jpeg2CEC4344-A7C6-4E93-AA1E-5CFBD9E05998.jpeg

Was gone from there almost before I got there. :rofl:

Mighty grateful for our son to sit with his Momma while got some trigger therapy, drive-thru fancy coffee and drive-thru pharmacy pick up.

Quick outing.

Sure felt good to finally drive the truck.....and do so with windows down and no pollen trouble as of yet.

Wind on my head.....not on my hair....shaved my head last week to match my wife’s own hair loss.

We are like a pair of Q-tips when we ride around in her SUV. :rofl:

sbroadwell

I went out in the yard and put 3 mags through the 1911. Pretty fast, all one handed from the hip. Shooting about 25 feet.

Long, long ago, I got really good at what they called Instinct Shooting. Daisy had a BB gun kit called Quick Skill, where you tried to hit increasing smaller targets that you threw up in the air. No aiming, just instinct pointing. I never got to where I could hit aspirin, but could hit a bottle cap most times. I did it a little with a .22 revolver, just at stationary targets, and got pretty good.

Been about 45 years since I’ve tried it, but got to thinking it would be nice to get good again. Plus, it gets pretty boring just to shoot at regular targets.

Did ok today, would have hit a man sized target every time, but need to keep practicing. Can’t afford to do it enough with a .45 though, particularly these days. I’ve got plenty of .22 ammo so I’ll start using that. And will look for a fairly accurate pellet pistol, too.

SakoL61R

Coaching SCTP at my club as usual on Sunday afternoons.
Sure like to see the smile on a young person’s face when
they start breaking targets consistently.
Makes my day.

Got a couple rounds in with my 80’s Remmy
12 ga. 1100 skeet gun.
Rebuilt it last year with a SureCycle system, magazine
upgrade and a few other parts.
Zero malfs with my “antique” as the youngins call it.
Porting and a lengthened forcing cone make it
super fun to shoot.

Nimrod71

Dub, that looks like some good shooting to me. Since ammo has be hard to come by I have shot my handguns much. I may try my 96 this week just to see if it still works.

killerv

took my youngest and his friend to shoot up a bunch of that expensive 22lr ammo yesterday. Maybe one day they will pay me back.

pacecars

Getting ready for Turkey season I shot my 28 ga to make sure it still patterns well with my #9 TSS loads I made last year. It did. The Turkeys are in trouble inside 50 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.