Fast or heavy

across the river

I push a 45cal 300gr bullet at 2,900fps out of my muzzleloader. That's faster than my 30-06 handloads with a 180gr bullet at 2750fps.
Shooters are easily breaking 2,300fps and up to 2,600fps using BH209 out of rifles dedicated for heavy charges.
Guys are shooting muzzleloaders, sidelocks, to 1,000yds and have been for decades.

The new "modernized" muzzleloaders are shooting 1 mile hitting steel.

New "modernized" muzzleloaders have far passed the 30-06.

And I've seen one of those little FWD Volkswagen Golfs run a sub 10 quarter mile, but that doesn't mean then one on the lot will. A "custom muzzleloader" and a "regular muzzleloader" you buy at Academy or Bass Pro are like comparing apples and oranges.

leesmith

I said me, not you. My muzzleloaders have open sights and are "zeroed" at 50 yards. :) I personally enjoy muzzleloader hunting as a short-range woods hunting experience. I know they are capable of much more, I have a couple friends who shoot long-range silhouette matches with them out to 1000 yards, and that's traditional mls. The modern muzzleloaders are fine, capable weapons, but they just hold zero interest for me, personally.
I have 1 muzzleloader with open sights, I think i have it sighted at 50 yds as well. I think it it a cva wolf. I love to shoot my long range muzzleloaders but I have only killed 1 deer with a muzzleloader so far and it was at 30 yards hahaha

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have 1 muzzleloader with open sights, I think i have it sighted at 50 yds as well. I think it it a cva wolf. I love to shoot my long range muzzleloaders but I have only killed 1 deer with a muzzleloader so far and it was at 30 yards hahaha
I love shooting them and smelling black powder smoke. Love hunting with them, too. I've killed a train car load with sidelock muzzleloaders over the years, probably a lot more than I have with a centerfire suppository rifle. Most <50 yards.

Latest posts