FSU pays "Victim" Different Perspective

Matthew6

Banned thug
There is no hope for Hunting Teacher, he knows to much:bounce:

Even if I disagree with him I appreciate the well penned opinion of a fellow man of letters; something many of you neanderthals and scallywags can't comprehend. :pop::pop:

alphachief

Wouldn't want my daughter around him...wouldn't want my son around her.

SpotandStalk

Even if I disagree with him I appreciate the well penned opinion of a fellow man of letters; something many of you neanderthals and scallywags can't comprehend. :pop::pop:

Sorry we can't all be "Elite". :D

hayseed_theology

Wouldn't want my daughter around him...wouldn't want my son around her.

Totally agree on both counts.

I appreciate a reasoned response for the first half anyway. Your reply makes is point and is directly related to original post. I will point out you felt the need to take a shot at me about whether I have the right to comment. Actually that is my point. Is it anymore acceptable considering the seriousness, for all the FSU haters to use the whole affair as a cheap excuse to rag on FSU? Did you point out their occupation and that maybe they should let it alone? It's not as if this is the first time the subject ever came up. I assume you know how FSU lawyers responded and are horrible human beings. On the other hand the accusers lawyers were only in it for justice. If so it seems kind of odd they felt the need to keep three fourths of the settlement. Once again, I will also remind you It wasn't just my opinion. I didn't just make up my discussion with other women who do have some right to give their opinion. They have been there.

Just to be clear, I am not knocking being a math teacher. Teaching is an important and under appreciated profession. Just want you to know that I was not belittling it. You understood where I was headed, and we agree that there are probably very few people on this forum who have any expertise in this area.

I think her lawyers were probably in it for the money too, which is one of the reasons they probably recommended for her to take the settlement.

As for FSU's lawyers, I assume they considered that a win. Settling a high profile rape case out of court for under a mil is a good day at the office.

Rest assured, FSU didn't give that girl a plug nickel either. Their insurance company is the one who signed that check. I'm sure they have an umbrella liability policy that would cover 20 of those a year. The insurance company probably picked up the tab for most of the lawyer fees as well.

Back to your OP, in this country, financial restitution is considered one form of justice. Whether it is an acceptable form of justice for a given person in a given situation is up to the victim and the court to decide. Your anecdotal evidence does not change that fact.

You are correct. Some folks simply use this issue as a reason to bad mouth a rival, but you also have to admit that there are some legitimate criticism of the way FSU handled JW.

Georgia Hard Hunter

I read all the "FSU evil, girl innocent" posts you all blathered on about.
Also saw how much it would cost FSU to continue the on going lawyers battles and legal shenanigans. It looked like it was going to be about 4.3 mill so far and who knows how much for FSU to continue. The institution took the "cheap" way out. The other side is the one that agreed to stop the charges.
More importantly I was thinking to myself if something terrible had happened to me, would I accept " blood money" and drop my fight with the institution that had done me so wrong.
I decided I'm not a woman so it is utterly unfair of me to decide what I would or would not do in a "rape" situation. I do have three daughters and know what I would have told them to do with their money if my daughter had been raped!!
Being a teacher I am surrounded by women who mostly couldn't give a flip less about college football. I decided to get their thoughts on the whole thing. I began filling them in on the situation in general if they didn't know. No making one side better than the other. Just the facts as people know. Then some of the he said, she said stuff.
I asked about 12 women from 22 to about 70. EVERY one of them said the idea that they would accept money in any way shape or form because they had been raped was unimaginable. I said what about to punish the institution, or pay lawyer bills because it looked like you might not win? The answers were NO,NO and """" No!!!
If you think I was somehow able to sway these women to a certain opinion one way or the other by what I said, you don't know women very well!! Most felt it said all they needed to know about the "victim," or at least her family.
So there it is. Take it for what it's worth. Feel free to hate FSU all you want. Feel free to hate a player who hasn't played a down at FSU for well over a year now. Personally, I couldn't care less about what he is doing now. I didn't like his embarrassing actions when he played there.
But as far as I'm concerned, the "victim's family" has laid their cards out for all to see.
Just curious. If it was your daughter or wife would you take the money? Is $950,000, of which the lawyers get about $650,000 or so, about the going price to quit fighting an institution that "covered up" your daughter's rape? Would you buy a new house with it or go on a trip? Maybe some property for a hunting lease? Please don't tell me you think they are planning on giving it to charity. And even then, would that make it acceptable to you? "Yeah, my daughter was raped, but hey we got $250,000 for the women's shelter so it's all good. We sure got our point across. FSU said they would have more programs on date rape and abuse. Now we will be fine with being quiet until our next much larger "Civil" money trial comes up against Winston."
Just thinking about the idea that money would make me quit pursuing justice if my daughter or wife was raped makes me extremely angry. I'd knock someone's head off if they even suggested it!!!

Typical FSU tactic, deflect, deny, ignore. Kinda makes Fla St. sound like the victim in this....WOW !
Lets turn that perspective around.. Why would a institution like a major university not spend the money to defend their reputation? (If they are in the right) We are talking about Fla St and realistically unlimited resources...Sounds like they are just trying to get this issue out of the public eye...If they could win this fight and save the name of the school they would have done so

tjl1388

Typical FSU tactic, deflect, deny, ignore. Kinda makes Fla St. sound like the victim in this....WOW !
Lets turn that perspective around.. Why would a institution like a major university not spend the money to defend their reputation? ( If they are in the right We are talking about Fla St and realistically unlimited resources...Sounds like they are just trying to get this issue out of the public eye...If they could win this fight and save the name of the school they would have done so

Exactly.

And the Boosters paid this one so who's to say they wouldn't have ponied up even more to prove their "vaunted" universities innocence?

Place is a joke.

School is a joke, Worst of the big 4yr universities in the State academically.

The City is a joke full of government shills and politicians. Zero culture. Zero.

Even the weather is the worst in the State with the coldest winter in the Sunshine state.

Place isn't worth the land it sits on.

SpotandStalk

Who wouldve thought 20 years ago that thugU would resort to boasting about academics. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fsu has literally taken the air out of those Cuban rafts.