GA Game Check, request for input

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hey Folks,

We've been using Game Check for 2 seasons now, but currently only display basic information on our website for hunters to see (harvest map, county totals, sex ratio).

What else would you like to see?

I have all the raw data for my analysis, but what we have on the website is for you so I would like to put on there what you want to see.

https://gamecheckresults.gooutdoorsgeorgia.com/

KKrueger

I think being able to see day by day or at least week to week results would help hunters see trends.

Possibly seeing how many of the bucks were "any buck" vs. 4 per side?

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Charlie, if you don't mind, I do have a suggestion for the WMA sign-in page. I would like to see a drop-down list added to the Location Name for us to simply be able to click and select the WMA we're interested in. Some of the WMAs have long, crazy names, and if you do not spell them correctly, it won't even show any similar results. Having a drop-down list would be helpful here. I'm sure I'll think of something else later. :D

WMA Sign-in.JPG

Thanks

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Charlie, I for one, would love to know the age breakdown of our harvests. I realize that jawbone analysis is the surest way to age a deer and it's simply not feasible require this information of all hunters.

However, I know in the Illinois phone check in, one of the required data points is a measurement from the nostril to the eyeball. Is this used in measuring age, or is this just a way to delineate between yearlings and all others?

PappyHoel

I want access to the raw data so the I can run sql queries against it. If I can't have that I want daily totals so that I can create my own metrics. It would also be nice to have a break out by northern/southern zone totals or an asterisk next to the corn counties so I can sort easily.

Rolling totals will help determine peak rut per county. Or at least in my mind it will.

XJfire75

An extra drop down on the buck to simply have any size or 4pt 1 side + kind of deal. Just to have an idea of possible age structure being taken. Or an estimate of total weight of deer regardless of sex.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I want access to the raw data so the I can run sql queries against it. If I can't have that I want daily totals so that I can create my own metrics. It would also be nice to have a break out by northern/southern zone totals or an asterisk next to the corn counties so I can sort easily.

Rolling totals will help determine peak rut per county. Or at least in my mind it will.

Anytime you want the raw data, just shoot me an email charlie.killmaster@dnr.ga.gov

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie, I for one, would love to know the age breakdown of our harvests. I realize that jawbone analysis is the surest way to age a deer and it's simply not feasible require this information of all hunters.

However, I know in the Illinois phone check in, one of the required data points is a measurement from the nostril to the eyeball. Is this used in measuring age, or is this just a way to delineate between yearlings and all others?

Those measurements just group deer into juvenile/adult age classes. What I am looking into is doing a voluntary follow-up survey where folks can either mail in a tooth for cementum annuli or snap a pic of the jawbone along with collecting antler data and lactation data. We do collect some age and antler data by WMA and county which is available here: http://www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie, if you don't mind, I do have a suggestion for the WMA sign-in page. I would like to see a drop-down list added to the Location Name for us to simply be able to click and select the WMA we're interested in. Some of the WMAs have long, crazy names, and if you do not spell them correctly, it won't even show any similar results. Having a drop-down list would be helpful here. I'm sure I'll think of something else later. :D

View attachment 920080

Thanks

I'll look into it and see, good suggestion.

PappyHoel

Silent Assassin

Mr. Killmaster thanks for asking. The thing I most want to see from a hunters standpoint is buck and doe harvest broken down by week in my county. 3-5 years of this type of info would be extremely beneficial for hunters in each county. Hunters can then cross reference the weekly data with the temperature and the moon charts to get very accurate info on when bucks are on their feet the most. I would love to see this.

Down4Count

Heck, I think they give enough information now. I could careless what others have killed. Just more hoopla.... The numbers are not correct, I know people that kill 12 deer a year and never report them. Most people I know who have land they own and hunt do not report squat. Does that make it right, No... but, to each his own.

PappyHoel

Heck, I think they give enough information now. I could careless what others have killed. Just more hoopla.... The numbers are not correct, I know people that kill 12 deer a year and never report them. Most people I know who have land they own and hunt do not report squat. Does that make it right, No... but, to each his own.

You should report them if you know there's a violation.

With that said there are enough honest people to report numbers that we can get statistics from. These statistics may help preserve the deer population for future Ga hunters. It's also an invaluable tool for management and predictive deer hunting.

Long Cut

I think age/weight could be a beneficial way to gauge herd health over time if people are willing to accurately measure this

deers2ward

I'd like to see what size parcel the deer are getting taken off of.

Choices:

0 to 10 acres
10-100 acres
100-500 acres
500+ acres

Down4Count

Maybe you should send in a video of the hunt.... I bet for every 5 deer reported, 2 deer are not. The people I know that don't report kills own the land, most only 50-500 acres, but its their place. I would never oust a land owner for that. Now, an outlaw hunter, hunting lease or wma I would report. Most people report the kills, but there are a lot of lowlife, country bumpkins that do not. But, they also do not pay Thousands of dollars for property tax either. I own my land and I do report my kills, 3 this year and also purchase a hunting licences that's not required.

Ohoopee Tusker

Those measurements just group deer into juvenile/adult age classes. What I am looking into is doing a voluntary follow-up survey where folks can either mail in a tooth for cementum annuli or snap a pic of the jawbone along with collecting antler data and lactation data. We do collect some age and antler data by WMA and county which is available here: http://www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public

This is minor but I wish the hunts on that wma page could get updated sooner. Some hunts going back to Sept. Haven't been posted but it seems the region 4 hunts show up within a week or so.

Bullhound

I'd like to know how the kill totals across the state relate to the predicted rut times for each county. It would be cool to see a line graph for each county as the kill total approaches and passes the peak rut times.