Handgun recommendation for bear defense...

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The 41 AE had the power of the 9mm/40SW. just a bigger caliber. You want power, go with a magnum revolver cartridge. Even the 10mm can't compete with the 357 magnum.
A 9mm is less power than the 40cal. The 40cal is just a shorter case and less powder than 10mm.
And the 41 AE can be loaded to near 10mm stats.
The 9mm is not in the same class as the other three.
As for 357 magnum I’d put my packed 38 specials up against anything livin.
But to say 41AE is as weak as the 9mm is inconceivable.

THE HATCHET MAN

I only have one hand gun that I would want to go up against a mad Alaskan bear with and that's my Desert Eagle in 50 A.E. Not saying there aren't other great pistols and calibers that will get the job done. To me I would rather have a large caliber rifle anytime but I have confidence in my pistol and cartridge if that's all I had with me in that moment. And in my opinion confidence and familiarity with your weapon is worth a lot more than just spraying a bunch of bullets in the bushes regardless of the caliber.

bullgator

064AAC7D-465C-41B7-AED6-84165B75885C.jpegThe 4.25” model 69 will carry well without being boat anchor strapped to your body. Even with my 44 Special loads I’m getting 950 fps with 240 gr. hard cast bullets.

watermedic

Ruger Alaskan in either .454 Casull or .480 Ruger carried in a Kenai chest holster.

Both are 6 shot revolvers and either will get the job done.

bullgator

On another note, most of the game wardens and law enforcement that deal with bear issues recommend bear spray. I was told that a bear that takes a bullet will keep charging, while almost all that get sprayed will turn away.

Mexican Squealer

I’m thinking that model 69 is what I’m going to go with. 10-4 on the bear spray. I find more peace in the thought of having that 44 as my last line of defense though I do continue to read that bear spray can be a better option. Thanks guys, great info.

Tight Lines

When I fish where there are grizzly and cannot carry a weapon i.e. Yellowstone I wear a loud bell and carry the large can of pepper spray on my wading belt in a holster...would recommend that and if you do carry a weapon as large and with as many rounds as possible...when fishing in Labrador with a guide they all carry shotguns for the bears...a person was attacked by a grizzly in the exact spot on the stream in Yellowstone I was in a year or two ago the week after I was there...no bell, no spray...got chewed on...

Tight Lines

Take this to squirt on your buddy...you just have to outrun one of the gazelles you know?

71lEOR7KmSL._SX466_.jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I'd say "bigger is better" .44 or .50. Remember a bear's bpm is around 1 beat to around 1 minute. What ever the choice is.. save 2 rounds. When the bear gets to you..stick the gun in it's mouth and pull the trigger... IF that doesn't work.. stick it in your mouth and pull the trigger, you don't want to be around for what comes next.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
.454 Casull.

rosewood

I'd say "bigger is better" .44 or .50. Remember a bear's bpm is around 1 beat to around 1 minute. What ever the choice is.. save 2 rounds. When the bear gets to you..stick the gun in it's mouth and pull the trigger... IF that doesn't work.. stick it in your mouth and pull the trigger, you don't want to be around for what comes next.

Gummer is that you?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Seems like most of the folks that live up there full time in the Alaskan bush carry a 44 magnum pistol on their side always. They also carry a pump shotgun loaded to the gills with slugs and buckshot too.

Lilly001

I think it would be easier to put bear spray in a charging bears face than to accurately deliver a large caliber hand gun round.
But I would feel more confident with both.

Latest posts