The Oracle
Chinese Fire Drill.

Anyone? ?

Big7

The Oracle
Sewer Trout

Dolphin

Just a couple of common sportfish who are not
One of those is my favorite to catch... and eat.
Not sure what the first one is ?

Big7

The Oracle
hoo... hoo...

Ain't no owl either. ?

EPIC ?

Big7

The Oracle
Jamaican Sandals ?

Good to eat. Most folks can't (or don't want to) dress them. ?

pottydoc

One of the first electronic navigation systems. Acronym for Long Range Navigation. First in service in WW2. Not widely used by the public until LORAN C. It operated off towers on shore so the range was limited. Ver accurate when returning to spots marked on the unit being used. It would put you close if someone else gave you numbers, but you usually had to look for the spot a little.

campboy

Sculling falls right into line with jigger pole fishing. Used to watch my Grandpa sit in the front of an old jon boat and scull (he called it scuttling) the boat parallel with the shore line. He sculled with his right hand and had a big long cane pole (the jigger pole) in his left hand. He used a broken back Jitterbug, a Weedwing with Uncle Josh's pork rind or a Mepp's Spinner as bait. He'd "cast" the bait right on the grass with his left hand kind of behind him, then basically troll it right on the grass then away from it. The explosions on the baits were unreal. Tons of big mudfish and quite a few good bass and every so often, a trophy speckled pearch. That was a long time ago on Crescent Lake. Awesome memories.

I'd love to try that

Seanote

I used a LORAN on my first offshore boat. It actually shoots radio waves to towers that were all along the coastline. It was very much like GPS in that it will give you your coordinates and you could save coordinates much like GPS marks if I remember correctly.

Rabun

Never heard of a ribbon rig and looked it up. Do you throw it out and reel it back in or let it sit on the bottom?

Redbeardless

The ribbon rig used a series of wire loops or a strip of nylon netting like a piece of bird net that you would use to keep birds off of your fig bush. It had a swivel at the top and a weight at the bottom with a red ribbon running through it from the top to the bottom. You let it down to where the school of alewives (pilchards, whitebait, etc.) are, sometimes on the bottom and wait. The baitfish will swim at the ribbon and become entangled in the net. Sometimes you get one, sometimes several. Some states made them illegal because of the net ban on gill netting. Seems pretty stupid to make a bait gathering tool illegal that limits the catch to one or two at a time when it is legal to throw a cast net and catch a hundred at a time. Most of the time when someone throws a net from the pier, a lot of bait is wasted. It actually is a very effective bait catcher. I always made my own.
Kind of getting off the topic, but at least you know what a ribbon rig is now!!!

1630586112088.jpeg

1630586164354.jpeg

slow motion

The ribbon rig used a series of wire loops or a strip of nylon netting like a piece of bird net that you would use to keep birds off of your fig bush. It had a swivel at the top and a weight at the bottom with a red ribbon running through it from the top to the bottom. You let it down to where the school of alewives (pilchards, whitebait, etc.) are, sometimes on the bottom and wait. The baitfish will swim at the ribbon and become entangled in the net. Sometimes you get one, sometimes several. Some states made them illegal because of the net ban on gill netting. Seems pretty stupid to make a bait gathering tool illegal that limits the catch to one or two at a time when it is legal to throw a cast net and catch a hundred at a time. Most of the time when someone throws a net from the pier, a lot of bait is wasted. It actually is a very effective bait catcher. I always made my own.
Kind of getting off the topic, but at least you know what a ribbon rig is now!!!

View attachment 1101908

View attachment 1101909
Still got one I bought in the little store halfway out on the pier in PCB.

Rabun

Thanks! Interesting device. I agree...a lot less indiscriminate than a cast net. And since Fla outlawed gill nets I take its not legal there.

slow motion

Thanks! Interesting device. I agree...a lot less indiscriminate than a cast net. And since Fla outlawed gill nets I take its not legal there.
Not sure if legal or not. Did a search and found this. May be accurate may not be.

Screenshot_20210903-144003.png