Looking for new rifle scope

Nimrod71

I am starting early this year, not waiting until the last minute, to get a new scope for my 308. I have a Crossfire 2.5 X10 on it now, but I am not satisfied with it. I am looking at a new Redfield 3 X 9 X 40. I would like your input or experience with the new Redfields. I have two old ones, like 39 years old scopes. They still work but I have not used them on a cold, wet day in a long time, like 30 years. Any advice would be appreciated.

Robert28

Redfield is now owned by Leupold (wasn’t sure if you knew that, just wanted to mention it just Incase). This is important because it’s backed up by Leupolds excellent warranty. I’m guessing you’re looking at the Revolution? I have the Leupold version of that called the Freedom. Excellent scope for what it is! Price difference between the Redfield and the Leupold varies, I was able to win mine on EBay so that’s why I went with it. Would have been perfectly happy with the Redfield though. To me it’s a step up from the Leupold Rifleman, which I think is discontinued now.

Reactions: Dub

Dennis

I have 2 Redfield 4x10x40 revolution and there great I also have a Leupold VX3 and there's not much difference looking thru them

Jeetdawg

I have several on my boy’s rifles and one on my wife’s slug gun (3x9x40). We bought them when they first came out and have been satisfied. They are a good value scope wise, though I may suggest you wait a little longer, save some more $ and step up to better quality glass. If you got to have one now, they are good. However, when I lay my Zeiss Conquest on my rifle next to my boy’s at dusk, there is no comparison. I would buy the best glass you can afford.

sleepr71

Is there a max amount that you’d be willing to spend ?? As somebody else said..do research,and buy the best glass you can afford..even if that means waiting a while. You have a few months..?

pacecars

Don’t rule out buying used either

280 Man

Banned
Meopta, Leupold, or Zeiss would get my money! If you buy used you better check the manufacturer's warranty for used stuff. Not all are like Leupold

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Keep and use the one you have if it works. Now if you just want to spend some of your money go ahead.

Horns

What is making you unsatisfied with the Crossfire? I just bought a Crossfire 2 in 6-18x40D7F56516-63E5-4557-8FB6-B2EBAFF038B3.jpeg and put on my 7 mag a couple months ago. I need to sight it in.

pacecars

One thing to remember is that in optics you generally get what you pay for. You may not be able to detect the difference with the naked eye in the very high quality scopes and a little advancement may cost a lot but the difference is there. You may get lucky and the bubble package Walmart scope might last a lifetime but then again there is nothing like looking at an “X” instead of a “+” when you throw up your rifle on the biggest deer you have seen in a long time.

44magpastor

Go to cameraland website and check out Meopta scopes. They usually have great deals on ripped box models. I ordered one in 4.5x14x50. Box was wrapped on plastic and didnt have a mark on it.

Highly recommend Meopta and cameraland

ssramage

I had one of the newer Redfields about 7-8 years ago when they were reintroduced. I thought it was an ok scope. For the price point, it was right in line with everything else.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Imma scope snob...most all of what I have is over $600 units. I'm starting to look at things differently...let's get a saddle on all of the stallions...if we start riding the stallion harder...get a better saddle for it to make the ride better if I ride it more...but let's take one out for a ride any time.

Reactions: Dub

Latest posts