Mountain trout late season

asmooth13

You’ll get varying opinions on the hammock. I personally like them in warmer weather. Others will refer to them as a bear burrito. Use what your comfortable with and you can tweak for next time. Looking forward to seeing your camp

LOL, bear burrito.

I reckon it would be difficult to fight back being wrapped up in a hammock.
Talk about a rude awakening!
Let's hope that won't be the case.

whitetailfreak

LOL, bear burrito.

I reckon it would be difficult to fight back being wrapped up in a hammock.
Talk about a rude awakening!
Let's hope that won't be the case.

Hammocks are the common denominator in the last several attacks in the Park including the young lady this summer over at Cosby.

asmooth13

Hey guys, sorry I took my sweet time getting back to let y'all know how everything went.

First off; I have to roast myself for a quick minute, in the hopes that no one will have to go through what I went through.

I spent 5 years in the Army. I got out in 2007; I'm 40. 12.5 mile ruck runs, maxing out PT test, all that stuff.
I only mention that to enforce the fact; I was in great shape physically.

Since then; I've been a Land Surveyor. Hard physical labor nasty woods, heat, and swamps. Right up my alley; kept me in shape.
For the last 2 years or so; I've been in the office pretty much everyday... That being said.

I figured a 65lb pack, about 6-7 miles up a mountain wouldn't be a huge deal...

Everything was hurting so **** bad by the time I got about half way there; I almost said F this, and went back to the truck.
I'm hard headed. I had already made my mind up I was getting where I wanted to be; in time to make camp before dark.
I did make it, and was able to get camp set.
However I was in a large amount of pain; the whole time I was there.
Couldn't walk right for 3 days, after I got back.
Anywho; here's the trip...

I originally wanted to leave Saturday morning. Wife had a funeral to attend on Sunday (This happened after I had planned the trip.), so I didn't leave 'till 4:30 Monday morning.
Got near Clayton, stopped at the national forest visitors center, and it's a ghost town. Sign on the door saying not public access, and the lawn was unkept like no one has been there awhile. My hope was to acquire a hard copy of a map.
Stopped by the wally world, 3 other gas stations, and stores; no maps. Everyone I asked, said go to the visitors center...
I had 2 different DNR PDF maps saved to my phone (Don't need to have signal to use those.), so I figured I would have to rely on those.
Headed east out of Clayton. Had a hard time finding my way around. It was difficult for me to discern the private driveways, and land from national forest land. Went for about 3 hours checking it out. There was really nice, large creeks all through that area, but most of it looked pretty busy with people.
One of my goals was to not run into another human; until i was ready to come back.

Time was running short of I was going make camp by dark.
I decided to go to wildcat creek. There's a nice fella here; that said the road had been closed for awhile. As long as it was still closed; I pretty much decided I had to make it work.
So I got over there, and the parking was packed. The gate was still closed though. I figured none of them was going back as far as I planned on going.
Checked the map at the parking area.
I noticed there was pretty much no walk-in camping until you get past the second designated camping site (A little over 4 miles.).
I figured the Travis mountain wilderness was gonna be my best bet.
Got everything loaded up; started walking,
and it started storming. Of course...
I passed everyone that was there about 1/4 mile from the parking area; as they were retreating from the rain.

By the time I got to the first designated campsite (A little over 2 miles.); I realized I haven't prepared physically for this. I overestimated my physical capabilities, but my mind was set.
I was in an incredible account of pain by the time I made to to campsite 2.
Finally found a place to break left off the road a good ways past said campsite.
Still getting stormed on; set a hasty camp, and got some dry clothes on.
KIMG0284.JPG
By this time; there's about 2 hours before dark. I didn't plan on doing anything but laying down in the tent to dry out, and try to rest up.
No fishing accomplished at this point.

Next morning; I couldn't hardly move. I didn't come all this way to sit at camp though.
Scouted the area for wood to gather for fire.
It's like a rain forest up there! Gave up shortly; when I realized every stitch of wood, leaves, and straw are waterlogged.

I decided I would hit the road heading further up the mountain; toward the Appalachian trail. The beginning of several branches start around there.
My intention was to walk up there and fish my way back.
It may be due to my inexperience mountain fishing, but I didn't really find any fishable water further up the mountain from camp.

It hurt, but I made it to the Appalachian trail (Much smaller pack but I was in pain before I left camp.), and found the beginning of a branch that feeds into wildcat creek.
Even though there was no fishing; it was rewarding to make it.
KIMG0279.JPGKIMG0280.JPG
Yes, those are running shoes I'm wearing.
I knew I was gonna be getting wet, I figured they would be easy to dry over a fire... If there was fuel to burn.
The gravel on the road did eventually start hurting some, but in hindsight; I would've had a much harder time making it up the mountain with heavy boots on. It was worth the trade off.

By the time I rested for about an hour; ate a pack of jerkey, it was time to head down to camp.
Tried looking for something dry enough to burn, but there wasn't enough to amount to anything sustainable.
Another storm brewing. I beat it to camp. Only by about 20 minutes.

Laid in the tent for the rest of the evening.

With my electronics, batteries, and me staying wet since I left the truck, and no fire to dry things out; I figured I'd just pack up, and head back down mountain toward the truck.
I went slow, and fished along the way back. Caught about 8.
KIMG0293.JPG

More to follow, I'm gonna finish on another post. My phone is acting up...

KIMG0288.JPG

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've just one thing to say to a fellow "hard head".... HOOHA!

asmooth13

KIMG0296.JPG
I caught all of them on the mepps #1 gold bladed aguila (With the red plastic cut off the hook.).
I brought panther martins, and blue fox vibrax, but I didn't need to try anything different.

It was a much better walk going down the mountain, but I was hurting so bad it was a huge relief to see my truck.

73 degrees at the truck, 88 degrees 20 minutes down the road.
I'm really glad it wasn't that hot up the mountain.

Well, thank everyone who was kind enough to share information for my trip.
I wouldn't have been successful on the fish without all your help.

If there's any questions, or anything I may have left out; left me know.

Attachments

• KIMG0296.JPG
    KIMG0296.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG0293.JPG
    KIMG0293.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 5

asmooth13

I've just one thing to say to a fellow "hard head".... HOOHA!

You know then.
Once we get our mind set on something; I'll die before I fail.

I need to make my pack, and walk some for about a week around home before next time.

Old Yapper

Hey guys, sorry I took my sweet time getting back to let y'all know how everything went.

First off; I have to roast myself for a quick minute, in the hopes that no one will have to go through what I went through.

I spent 5 years in the Army. I got out in 2007; I'm 40. 12.5 mile ruck runs, maxing out PT test, all that stuff.
I only mention that to enforce the fact; I was in great shape physically.

Since then; I've been a Land Surveyor. Hard physical labor nasty woods, heat, and swamps. Right up my alley; kept me in shape.
For the last 2 years or so; I've been in the office pretty much everyday... That being said.

I figured a 65lb pack, about 6-7 miles up a mountain wouldn't be a huge deal...

Everything was hurting so **** bad by the time I got about half way there; I almost said F this, and went back to the truck.
I'm hard headed. I had already made my mind up I was getting where I wanted to be; in time to make camp before dark.
I did make it, and was able to get camp set.
However I was in a large amount of pain; the whole time I was there.
Couldn't walk right for 3 days, after I got back.
Anywho; here's the trip...

I originally wanted to leave Saturday morning. Wife had a funeral to attend on Sunday (This happened after I had planned the trip.), so I didn't leave 'till 4:30 Monday morning.
Got near Clayton, stopped at the national forest visitors center, and it's a ghost town. Sign on the door saying not public access, and the lawn was unkept like no one has been there awhile. My hope was to acquire a hard copy of a map.
Stopped by the wally world, 3 other gas stations, and stores; no maps. Everyone I asked, said go to the visitors center...
I had 2 different DNR PDF maps saved to my phone (Don't need to have signal to use those.), so I figured I would have to rely on those.
Headed east out of Clayton. Had a hard time finding my way around. It was difficult for me to discern the private driveways, and land from national forest land. Went for about 3 hours checking it out. There was really nice, large creeks all through that area, but most of it looked pretty busy with people.
One of my goals was to not run into another human; until i was ready to come back.

Time was running short of I was going make camp by dark.
I decided to go to wildcat creek. There's a nice fella here; that said the road had been closed for awhile. As long as it was still closed; I pretty much decided I had to make it work.
So I got over there, and the parking was packed. The gate was still closed though. I figured none of them was going back as far as I planned on going.
Checked the map at the parking area.
I noticed there was pretty much no walk-in camping until you get past the second designated camping site (A little over 4 miles.).
I figured the Travis mountain wilderness was gonna be my best bet.
Got everything loaded up; started walking,
and it started storming. Of course...
I passed everyone that was there about 1/4 mile from the parking area; as they were retreating from the rain.

By the time I got to the first designated campsite (A little over 2 miles.); I realized I haven't prepared physically for this. I overestimated my physical capabilities, but my mind was set.
I was in an incredible account of pain by the time I made to to campsite 2.
Finally found a place to break left off the road a good ways past said campsite.
Still getting stormed on; set a hasty camp, and got some dry clothes on.
View attachment 1095840
By this time; there's about 2 hours before dark. I didn't plan on doing anything but laying down in the tent to dry out, and try to rest up.
No fishing accomplished at this point.

Next morning; I couldn't hardly move. I didn't come all this way to sit at camp though.
Scouted the area for wood to gather for fire.
It's like a rain forest up there! Gave up shortly; when I realized every stitch of wood, leaves, and straw are waterlogged.

I decided I would hit the road heading further up the mountain; toward the Appalachian trail. The beginning of several branches start around there.
My intention was to walk up there and fish my way back.
It may be due to my inexperience mountain fishing, but I didn't really find any fishable water further up the mountain from camp.

It hurt, but I made it to the Appalachian trail (Much smaller pack but I was in pain before I left camp.), and found the beginning of a branch that feeds into wildcat creek.
Even though there was no fishing; it was rewarding to make it.
View attachment 1095854View attachment 1095856
Yes, those are running shoes I'm wearing.
I knew I was gonna be getting wet, I figured they would be easy to dry over a fire... If there was fuel to burn.
The gravel on the road did eventually start hurting some, but in hindsight; I would've had a much harder time making it up the mountain with heavy boots on. It was worth the trade off.

By the time I rested for about an hour; ate a pack of jerkey, it was time to head down to camp.
Tried looking for something dry enough to burn, but there wasn't enough to amount to anything sustainable.
Another storm brewing. I beat it to camp. Only by about 20 minutes.

Laid in the tent for the rest of the evening.

With my electronics, batteries, and me staying wet since I left the truck, and no fire to dry things out; I figured I'd just pack up, and head back down mountain toward the truck.
I went slow, and fished along the way back. Caught about 8.
View attachment 1095880

More to follow, I'm gonna finish on another post. My phone is acting up...

View attachment 1095874
One thing I learned about hiking into "them thar hills" long ago
And it is definitely a pain....an absolute MISERABLE pain too.
Drag along (and I do mean drag) a heavy duty contractors debris bag, (as much as you can handle with your individual strength and endurance),...loaded up with firewood or old 2x4 strips you've sawed. And sealed tightly with duct tape.
You can just about win a bet that it's going to rain in them hills sometime during your visit and you'll appreciate that dry wood.
Also carry along a can of lighter fluid.
It goes without saying about waterproofing matches and all that.
I've cursed that stupid bag before....but repented for the curses when I needed to build that fire and everything everywhere was wet.
Just my opinion.
It's like I'd carry a rainsuit with me if I was crossing the Sahara desert. Those rain clouds make extra efforts to search me out...and they'll find me too

Rabun

Yes sir! That was quite an outing you undertook! I’m glad you got away from the people (I assume you saw no one once you got about a mile up) and caught some fish! I should have mentioned that the vast majority of the people that park at the gate are going to the rock slide before the first bridge.

The rain up there is relentless and rarely does the forest floor get an opportunity to dry off. I think I mentioned that the main battle up there are the elements. Good thing is it was warm so wasn’t dangerous. The dry fire wood is usually above your head...dead branches and standing saplings and inside elevated logs....you have to split it. Nothing on the floor will burn. I always bring a packable bow saw and small hatchet for splitting. You pretty much have to bring your own tinder/starter. Dryer lint coated with Vaseline works pretty well. I always carry some heart of pine shavings too.

I’m curious...with that trip under your belt what would you do different or prepare differently equipment wise? I admire your gumption! That is unforgiving country no easy trek up to the AT!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What a trip ! I camped in the second campground last year all alone , quite possibly the most peaceful place on earth ! I didn’t have to hike in though, I thought I’d never get there in my truck

asmooth13

One thing I learned about hiking into "them thar hills" long ago
And it is definitely a pain....an absolute MISERABLE pain too.
Drag along (and I do mean drag) a heavy duty contractors debris bag, (as much as you can handle with your individual strength and endurance),...loaded up with firewood or old 2x4 strips you've sawed. And sealed tightly with duct tape.
You can just about win a bet that it's going to rain in them hills sometime during your visit and you'll appreciate that dry wood.
Also carry along a can of lighter fluid.
It goes without saying about waterproofing matches and all that.
I've cursed that stupid bag before....but repented for the curses when I needed to build that fire and everything everywhere was wet.
Just my opinion.
It's like I'd carry a rainsuit with me if I was crossing the Sahara desert. Those rain clouds make extra efforts to search me out...and they'll find me too

LOL, that don't sound like much fun.
Draggin' fire wood up with you the whole way. My back, and legs just now started hurting just thinking about it.

No doubt if I had a way to keep a decent fire for a few hours a night; I would've stayed longer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
LOL, that don't sound like much fun.
Draggin' fire wood up with you the whole way. My back, and legs just now started hurting just thinking about it.

No doubt if I had a way to keep a decent fire for a few hours a night; I would've stayed longer.
Before the hemlock wooley adelgid, you could always find dry wood to get a fire started on the lower trunks of bushy hemlocks. Birch bark will also burn when it's soaking wet.

asmooth13

Yes sir! That was quite an outing you undertook! I’m glad you got away from the people (I assume you saw no one once you got about a mile up) and caught some fish! I should have mentioned that the vast majority of the people that park at the gate are going to the rock slide before the first bridge.

The rain up there is relentless and rarely does the forest floor get an opportunity to dry off. I think I mentioned that the main battle up there are the elements. Good thing is it was warm so wasn’t dangerous. The dry fire wood is usually above your head...dead branches and standing saplings and inside elevated logs....you have to split it. Nothing on the floor will burn. I always bring a packable bow saw and small hatchet for splitting. You pretty much have to bring your own tinder/starter. Dryer lint coated with Vaseline works pretty well. I always carry some heart of pine shavings too.

I’m curious...with that trip under your belt what would you do different or prepare differently equipment wise? I admire your gumption! That is unforgiving country no easy trek up to the AT!

Yeah Bubba! I appreciate all the helpful advice!
Yeah, I didn't see anyone after about half way to the rock slide. What's funny was; I had no idea it was there until I was on the way back to the truck. There was about 10 people hanging out down there, and it caught my attention.
Everyone had left on my way in (It had started storming a little right before I left the truck.). I didn't see a human soul until I got back to the rock.

I brought a couple good pieces of pine lighter knot for fire startin'. I just didn't expect everything to be quite as waterlogged as it was.
If I wouldn't have been in such bad shape, I could've put more energy into searching for something to burn.
I had my machete on my hip the whole time, I'd feel naked without it.
I feel confident I would be able to do whatever kind on cutting was necessary with it. If I was able to find something worth Chopin'.

I really appreciate the compliments.
It wasn't my first rodeo, but it was completely unfamiliar territory.
Without Y'alls insight; it would've been much more difficult, and frustrating.
Probably wouldn't have caught a single fish.

I guess if'n I do it again, I would have a better pack.
I really needed a hard frame pack for the weight I was carrying. I think that would've made a difference.

I would bring some silica packs, or dry rice in a sealable container/bag. I could alternate drying out my electronic devices.

I'd possibly bring one, or a couple; of those starter logs that burn for hours by itself.

I had 2 different water filtration systems.
I would like to have had a bag, or some other way to use one of them as a gravity filter. Gathering potable water; as I was out, and about.
Other than that; I forgot my 80' of good rope in the truck. I could've used that for something.

Thank you again for the great advice.

I hope someone may benefit from this thread; before heading out for the first time.

asmooth13

Before the hemlock wooley adelgid, you could always find dry wood to get a fire started on the lower trunks of bushy hemlocks. Birch bark will also burn when it's soaking wet.

Is that a disease that hit the hemlock?
I know there was a disease that destroyed much of the elm in GA years back.

I didn't know that about burch bark.
I know it's similar to paper, but didn't know it was so willing to burn.
---entered into brain bank---

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is that a disease that hit the hemlock?
I know there was a disease that destroyed much of the elm in GA years back.

I didn't know that about burch bark.
I know it's similar to paper, but didn't know it was so willing to burn.
---entered into brain bank---
It's an invasive Asian insect that has killed almost every hemlock tree in the eastern US.

Sweet birch and yellow birch that are common in the southern Appalachians are rich in wintergreen oil, which is extremely flammable.

Rabun

You got a lot of good advice...especially on fishing. Great guys on this forum! I’m kinda lost after my crickets run out. That’s a long way to hike in a single day. I know they say no primitive camping till after the 2nd camp ground but it’s national forest. That’s a beautiful stream and if you just cut off it a bit you can camp anywhere. There are some cool springs up along the creek. I could make a three day trip out of that distance you covered....cause I’m old ? A few tweaks and you’ll be much more comfortable next time? Thanks for taking us along!!

asmooth13

It's an invasive Asian insect that has killed almost every hemlock tree in the eastern US.

Sweet birch and yellow birch that are common in the southern Appalachians are rich in wintergreen oil, which is extremely flammable.

Another bug from the big red huh?
They do seem to have a habit of doing such things... (This is an uneducated attempt at a little humor, I have no clue if the insect that destroyed the hemlocks came from "a fish market".)
It's sad to hear about the fate of the hemlocks in our area. I wasn't aware.

Thank you for passing along your knowledge.

asmooth13

You got a lot of good advice...especially on fishing. Great guys on this forum! I’m kinda lost after my crickets run out. That’s a long way to hike in a single day. I know they say no primitive camping till after the 2nd camp ground but it’s national forest. That’s a beautiful stream and if you just cut off it a bit you can camp anywhere. There are some cool springs up along the creek. I could make a three day trip out of that distance you covered....cause I’m old ? A few tweaks and you’ll be much more comfortable next time? Thanks for taking us along!!

I agree, wonderful; truthful advise from everyone!
It's been a long time since I've posted, but I knew there are those here who would be willing to help a fellow out; traveling through unfamiliar territory.
Especially if the OP is willing to interact with those who post; appear serious about what they're doing, and thank everyone for their help.

I agree, next time I will be much more prepared. It shouldn't be as tough, even if it's in a different area.
Experience is the best teacher, for sure!

Thanks for coming along, and staying for the ride!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I guess if'n I do it again, I would have a better pack.
I really needed a hard frame pack for the weight I was carrying. I think that would've made a difference.
You know how much gear one can tote in a large Alice pack system, just make sure it has the kidney pad and waist belt. They are a bit pricey now (150.00 - 170.00) but I'm sure they are on ebay or what not.