Snakeboots or Not?

Buford_Dawg

I have for the last 10 years wore snake boots in the woods during summer and fall. I hunt north Georgia. I have seen 3 or 4 copperhead snakes in my 40 years of hunting this area. No rattlers or other poisonous snakes. I dont really care to use them as they are hot and sweaty and just not comfortable, compared to my everyday wear boots and my other rubber and muck boots. My last pair wore out this fall and I am comtemplating getting another pair or using my other pairs of boots. Thoughts?

Jim Boyd

None for me.

I would say that in areas that regularly hold snakes - and for folks who hunt, work or scout in the warmer months - people that don’t wear snake boots are in the minority.

You gotta have footwear of some type so if you have concerns about snake bite, might as well get snake boots.

You are probably far more likely to get killed in your vehicle going to and from the farms but snakes generally induce a disproportionate reaction to danger.

The only snake I have felt threatened by was a moccasin but apparently the one to worry about is the diamondback.

I am in SC and we have a good supply of canebrakes - but not sure I have seen any diamondbacks over here. We mainly see the canebrakes in late summer when they are out on the move.

0DABD5FF-1E8B-47EC-B762-CC8127369B6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Arrow3

I don't wear them. You don't need them for your sandy cross club. I've never seen or heard of a rattler being killed around here.

shdw633

You never need them......till you need them, by then it's too late and you're dealing with the bite the rest of your life, if you're lucky enough to still have one after the bite.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I lived in Jackson county for my first 53 years and never saw a rattlesnake.

I have a tract in Taliaferro county that we have hunted for over 30 years. We have seen 2 rattlesnakes. Both were killed by a bush hog.

I have a tract in Putnam that we just finished the 3rd season of hunting. We have seen one so far. But many are killed in the roads in that vicinity.

These folks claim the critters are all over g Ga.

https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/crohor.htm

jbogg

I started hunting public land in the mountains over the past three years and have walked up on two Timber rattlers and a couple of copperheads in that time. I am usually solo, with little to no cell service and often a couple of miles from the truck. The boots are like insurance. Probably won’t ever need them, but I will be glad I have them if I do.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you take a hot bite from one, you better have some real good insurance, or a pile of money. Maybe even both because they don`t give Crofab away. And I`ve seen em out on what would be considered fairly cold weather.

Hillbilly stalker

It's the one you dont see that gets you. Tracking a deer at night, sneaking up a holler looking ahead. Setting up on a roosted turkey in the dark. You gotta have boots anyway, why not snake boots ? Look and see how much an Ambulance ride costs nowadays, and anti-venom and possible loss of limb or life. What if you get invited on a hunt in a place that is known for snakes ? Cheap insurance for a fellow, but your choice, makes sense to wear them tho.

LT6767

I've been walking through our family land in west Ga for 10yrs now and I have yet to see a poisonous snake. Having said that I watch my steps carefully. We do however have quite a few Eastern King snakes on the property. That's probably why I've never seen a poisonous snake out here.

transfixer

I have for the last 10 years wore snake boots in the woods during summer and fall. I hunt north Georgia. I have seen 3 or 4 copperhead snakes in my 40 years of hunting this area. No rattlers or other poisonous snakes. I dont really care to use them as they are hot and sweaty and just not comfortable, compared to my everyday wear boots and my other rubber and muck boots. My last pair wore out this fall and I am comtemplating getting another pair or using my other pairs of boots. Thoughts?

When I was younger I seldom wore them , unless I was hunting middle or south Georgia, I used to go on the muzzleloader hunt on the old Ogeechee wma way back when, funny thing about that hunt, the guys up at the check in station didn't talk about what deer they had seen on the hunt, they talked about how many rattlers they saw !

Now that I'm older, and don't move as fast as I used to, I wear them almost all the time when I'm in the woods, even though we've never had a lot of snakes on our Oglethorpe lease, I figure when I do leave this earth I don't want it to be because I wasn't wearing the right boots ! If comfort is your main reason look into some Danner Pronghorns, very comfortable, very lightweight , maybe a little pricey , but a lot cheaper than an ambulance ride or hospital bill !

jbogg

I stepped within a foot or so of this one last summer while scouting just before bow season. I had almost talked myself out of wearing my Irish Setter snake boots due to the heat, but all it took was hearing that buzzing at my feet to make me forget all about the temp outside.
490CAA8E-CB2F-4BEC-AEB5-25503D8B47E2.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
If you can afford them then wear them. If you’re really really rich and can afford anti-venom then I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a family and have to work, so I wear snakeboots...all year long.