St Marks Fish Stacks...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Trying to grow a stack of trout filets...

20220415_170110.jpg

Slumming it in fish camp and fishing for a few days.
Yesterday wore me out with a long day for one boxer. Called every kind of trash fish plus short flounder and short sheep's head, short trout, and a short red. Lost a couple good fish and got flat broke off by big fish. Caught a couple black drum but I don't keep 'em...20220414_180045.jpg
Tough day by myself with one fish in the Box...

This morning I told myself I wouldn't wear myself out today because I have some people that want to fish with me tomorrow. I thought I would drift the flats instead of spending the day swaping spots around oyster bars. But the flats were unproductive for trout and the water was murky and I could only catch ladyfish. While running to get out of the wind I saw that a couple of my favorite Creek mouth oyster bars were well protected and empty of boats.
Pulled into a slot between 2 bars that was pumping current. The black drum were feeding. Caught several over 20"...
20220414_150704.jpg
20220415_115523.jpg
20220415_113316.jpg

Couldn't find a red fish so I moved on to a different Creek mouth and different oyster bar.
Found the trout active and caught a 23 and a 1/2 inch right off the bat. I normally let the big sounds like that go, but not the 2nd keeper in two day's fishing! My boat rule is ALL over 24" go back and and under that we might keep a big one if the fishing is tough. Only allowed one trout over 19" per day per boat.
20220415_122515.jpg

Wouldn't you know it, within an hour of icing the big fish, I picked up 2 more around 22" that I couldn't keep.

20220415_123033.jpg
20220415_131705.jpg

Just noticed that 1 on the ruler has a 1/2 inch of tail past the 0 mark and his jaw is over 22"...
Rounded out the afternoon with my 4 other keepers between 15" and 19". Forgot the fishbox picture before I cleaned them...
Hopefully I've still got more than a week to fish and build fish stacks!

Attachments

• 20220414_191308.jpg
    20220414_191308.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 12

Big7

The Oracle
I wouldn't turn my nose up to any saltwater Drum.

Geffellz18

I’m jelly over here!
My absolute favorite type of fishing and target species….Have only caught one black drum though and it was a biggun-about 36-40” and well over 30lbs. He got to go back.
Been wanting to get into some of the puppies to bring a couple home to the cooler to try.

1eyefishing

Where do you stay when fishing that many days?
I keep an RV in a spot at Shell Island Fish Camp year round.
Keep my boat on the dock when I'm here and it keeps me away from the public boat ramp twice a day.
I love that they have accommodations for my buddies to come and fish. Park models, cabins, and motel rooms. My previous fish camp in Pensacola didn't have that…. My guests would have to find their own accommodations.

1eyefishing

I’m jelly over here!
My absolute favorite type of fishing and target species….Have only caught one black drum though and it was a biggun-about 36-40” and well over 30lbs. He got to go back.
Been wanting to get into some of the puppies to bring a couple home to the cooler to try.

This is a 30lber from Pensecola...
image.jpg

And one we caught in St. Marks...
20200522_154121.jpg

1eyefishing

Getn closer to time for me!
Let's go fishing!
I've been pounding the inshore here for the last several years and I'm ready to expand my horizons for some grouper and cobia, et cetera. Last year I made my 1st run to marker 24 and it was awesome. Ready to go back when the summer fish are there... I've been seeing some really big grouper brought in and they said the cobia are out there....

Last edited: