Stetson's Age

Tight Lines

Why do all the haters keep bringing up Stetson's age? I remember Chris Weinke winning the Heisman at like 28 or 29 years old and everyone thought he was the 2nd coming. I don't think he even started school at FSU until he was 25. I can think of a few others as well that started playing college ball later and I don't ever recall hearing the age advantage thing brought up. Only Stetson. It's like Stet said, 'it must be because I'm ugly' :ROFLMAO:
I don't think it's his age as much as what it says about where he is in his development. Stetson has peaked. At 25, he isn't getting materially faster, bigger, stronger. So when an NFL team has to decide who to draft, given Stetson's stats (size, arm strength, etc.) and given his age, it's an offsetting factor to what he has accomplished. His spider web chart is wholly unimpressive relative to other QBs.

For example Patrick Mahomes isn't the biggest, or fastest QB in the NFL, but he did throw the fastest spiral ever thrown at the combine. His arm strength is epic.

Wienke should not have won the Heisman, he edged out Drew Brees that year I think. And he played baseball for the Blue Jays up until he went to FSU, after being a star 3-sport athlete in high school. He was a good QB, but he wasn't all that. I don't think he played much in the NFL either. Not that I can recall anyway...he is regarded as one of the top Heisman winners that should not have won...

Stetson is one impressive young man, and will always be successful in whatever he does. Whether his size and strength can be put to use in the NFL is yet to be determined. I'm rooting for him, but the stats are not on his side.

All of the discussion is just conjecture at this point...when the draft happens and he straps on the pads, we'll know where he will play, and shortly after we'll know how he does...

Again - I'm rooting for him, and no one can detract from what he has accomplished. It's astonishing. I hope it continues.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
All I know is, there have been guys who weren’t any better than him who were drafted and in some cases it was obvious they weren’t going to do much in the pros (lookin at you Tim Tebow) and they were still drafted. I would never say yes going to tear it up on the NFL. Nobody ever knows. But to say he won’t be drafted just seems dumb. I don’t know why he can’t be a backup somewhere. Do we think Tony Romo had more going for him than Stetson does.

ribber

I get the buddies ribbing each other and banter on here, but like was stated in an earlier post, I've seen it brought up on sports TV and websites too. Just curious why him, when age was never mentioned negatively for guys like Weinke and many others in the past.

Tight Lines

I get the buddies ribbing each other and banter on here, but like was stated in an earlier post, I've seen it brought up on sports TV and websites too. Just curious why him, when age was never mentioned negatively for guys like Weinke and many others in the past.
Why? Because he is a 2X National Champion, and the CFP is controversial from the outset...and even before the modern era model it was...and simply because it makes for good controversy to debate...look at all the threads just on GON...

He either will play, or he won't. We'll just have to wait and see. My bet is on him giving it his all, and the chips will fall where they will...that's reality...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Why? Because he is a 2X National Champion, and the CFP is controversial from the outset...and even before the modern era model it was...and simply because it makes for good controversy to debate...look at all the threads just on GON...

He either will play, or he won't. We'll just have to wait and see. My bet is on him giving it his all, and the chips will fall where they will...that's reality...

The odds are against him. That's one of the main reasons he will succeed.

SpotandStalk

Why do all the haters keep bringing up Stetson's age? I remember Chris Weinke winning the Heisman at like 28 or 29 years old and everyone thought he was the 2nd coming. I don't think he even started school at FSU until he was 25. I can think of a few others as well that started playing college ball later and I don't ever recall hearing the age advantage thing brought up. Only Stetson. It's like Stet said, 'it must be because I'm ugly' :ROFLMAO:

It was brought up in literally every game Weinke played in. I keep hearing Ga fans reference Weinke like nobody had an issue with his age. :ROFLMAO:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Roses are crimson
Big Dawgs are back to back champs
Stetson Bennett rules

How bout that for some Haiku? :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Yeah it’s a letdown when you crap in the punch bowl and everybody just shrugs and leaves you to it, huh?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

weagle

I think Stetson can make a few years in the NFL, but for him to be successful a team would have to build their entire offense around what he can do and that won't happen. There is a minimum amount of arm strength needed to run the current NFL offenses and I don't think Stetson has it. Probably 3 or 4 years as the 2nd or 3rd string (not a bad gig by the way) Then into coaching.

BTW I think he should have won the Heisman

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think Stetson can make a few years in the NFL, but for him to be successful a team would have to build their entire offense around what he can do and that won't happen. There is a minimum amount of arm strength needed to run the current NFL offenses and I don't think Stetson has it. Probably 3 or 4 years as the 2nd or 3rd string (not a bad gig by the way) Then into coaching.

BTW I think he should have won the Heisman

You're probably right but what I would posit is what he lacks in arm strength he compensates with accuracy. He can put the ball where only the receiver can catch it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
St Bennett led the lost out of the wilderness after 40 years.
He could murder and the DAWG nation would rationalize it.

That said, he has a shot at the draft. Hope it works for him. Walking out of Blackshear unrecruited, walking on and fighting for a slot, waiting for your chance behind QB1, then leading your team to B2B natties. That’s Hollywood stuff.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
St Bennett led the lost out of the wilderness after 40 years.
He could murder and the DAWG nation would rationalize it.

Nope. We would celebrate it. :biggrin2: