Taxes

ucfireman

Just completed my 2023 taxes.
Worked a fair amount of OT and made 11000.00 more than my regular yearly salary, and 9k more than last year.
Even with the increased standard deduction I end up getting about 1000.00 less refund on federal, got about the same as last year for the state.
For the past 5+ years I've been getting about 1000-1100 federal refund and 3-500 state.
Guess the company software doesn't adjust for the OT, even though it sure looks like it on payday.
Makes no sense to me.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If your taxable income got into the next tax bracket it would change your return. I did better this year income wise than previous years and lost a child tax credit. Wound up owing the state but came out $1,000 to the good after federal. My CPA did some magic, we figured we were gonna owe on both.
Uncle Sam and insurance do put a hurting on a paycheck.

B. White

I'm tired of writing checks for thousands to the mafia every quarter and usually still owe. Cut back in the fall, but still overshot my estimated income for the year by a few thousand. Turned everything in to the CPA Thursday. Not looking forward to the results.

sinclair1

Getting mine piled up to send to the CPA. Pretty standard this year, maybe we can break the 15 years paying streak.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I despise our tax system.

It's setup for married couples with decent jobs to be hammered, even with a child.

Actually it's set up to hammer everybody.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What’s a refund????
The punishment you get for giving the government too much of your money all year last year. ;) :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Redbow

Our retirement income went up last year not by a lot but it put us in a higher tax bracket. We are getting about 600 bucks less back in federal this year. Gotta give Liden's illegals their share I suppose.

bass4fun

"no one making less than 400K will pay more" (I think that is what he said), I don't believe it for a minute.
Less than 2% of income earners make that kind of money. That will certainly not make up for an additional $5T. Get your wallets out fella's...and Sarah.

ucfireman

About 7-10 years ago I had to pay, don't remember why but started having an extra 10.00 federal and state taken out so I wouldn't have to pay again.
So a 34.00 federal refund is better than paying but still.

The difference in federal taxes from my salary to what I made is 2,112 on about 9000 income OT. not quite 24%, but thats what is in the book.
Dont know if its worth it.