Unconventional Dye Method that works well...

2dye4

I’m super interested in this! I’ll be honest, I’m setting almost all dirty traps this season because I didn’t want to do the long process of dyeing and waxing. I do have enough I would think it would be cheaper to dip instead of spray. What kind of rustoleum are y’all using?
1642084273560.jpeg

sleepr71

The key is “Self Etching” so it will bite into the metal ?. I’d probably do Black or Rust Brown..but if it’s hidden under the dirt..don’t guess it really matters! After this trapping season..I will probably pressure wash ALL of mine & after they dry..dip them in Ospho..then the self etching primer. Should outlast me..?

2dye4

The key is “Self Etching” so it will bite into the metal ?. I’d probably do Black or Rust Brown..but if it’s hidden under the dirt..don’t guess it really matters!
I had some rust color at one time but can’t find it anymore. One of my buddies turned me on to this stuff a long time ago and I’ve been a believer ever since.

I’m super interested in this! I’ll be honest, I’m setting almost all dirty traps this season because I didn’t want to do the long process of dyeing and waxing. I do have enough I would think it would be cheaper to dip instead of spray. What kind of rustoleum are y’all using?

The standard quoted internet recipe is equal parts rustoleum rusty metal primer and acetone.

2dye4

The standard quoted internet recipe is equal parts rustoleum rusty metal primer and acetone.
I don’t think there is a standard any longer, it’s your method that works for you, but may not be pleasing to the other. I’m a down right conservative that thinks out of the box and if you want to try my ideas that’s great but if not keep doing it your way. Not being rude but just my thoughts.
Best Regards,

sleepr71

I didn’t have any Walnuts & couldn’t find any locally..so I picked up about 1.5 gallons of Pecan Hulls & crushed them up & put them in a Pillow case. Started soaking them in the water I was going to boil traps in about 3 days ago & today it worked pretty well ?. Boiled them for about an hour,skimmed the oil & wax off the top..then dipped them in the ZEPS floor Polish after they dried. Took about 1/2 the day. They turned out good(for new traps),but next time around..I will do this in the early Fall & just paint,then dip them in the Zeps. I’m running way behind. Wanted to start trapping as soon as Deer season ended..but life & work gets in the way of our hobbies:biggrin2:

2dye4

I will admit..I was skeptical of using the Zeps..but after about 2 hours of drying time…I could barely detect the odor. They weren’t super shiny either. Going to give them a few days of hanging outside & see how they smell Saturday.
I’m a believer in the methods that work. I’ve got a few that I’ll keep y’all posted on the performance.

sleepr71

Yep those do look good!! Pecan hulls....

Well…nobody in my circle could come up with Walnuts & the one tree at my parents place didn’t produce this year! It just dawned on me..I have Pecans & Pecan Hulls are BLACK..& I bet if I crushed them up good,then put ‘em in a pillow case..they’d leach out that Tannic Acid?. Sure nuff..3 days of soaking & stirring every night when I got home..and IMO they dyed those traps good enough for me! Those Dukes were older & already had rust,but the MB 550s had only been treated with Vinegar for a day,then rinsed good before boiling. So yes,Pecan Hulls will work in a pinch..they just need more time to leach out the tannic acid. So will Maple Leaves + bark..?

2dye4

I wanted to post these pictures as to how the traps hold up with just self etching primer. After I pull these this year, I will clean them and dip them in ZEP to help protect even better.

Attachments

• 0E062C53-318B-4FE0-8857-BF0079DD60B6.jpeg
    0E062C53-318B-4FE0-8857-BF0079DD60B6.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 09AB4D02-300B-4028-A743-715ADD2FA4AF.jpeg
    09AB4D02-300B-4028-A743-715ADD2FA4AF.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 9

buckpasser

Sorry to resurrect an old one, but I did the Zeps dip method today on a brand new set of 550’s. I boiled them in clean water to get off the oil, let them dry, and waxed them warm. Later today I dipped them again cool for a little more protection (maybe).

Should I dip again tomorrow? How long should I wait to set out? I can’t really smell anymore, so I might not be able to check them. I’m about ready to see a bouncer again. It’s been too long!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I had some rust color at one time but can’t find it anymore. One of my buddies turned me on to this stuff a long time ago and I’ve been a believer ever since.
I couldn’t remember where I read this. Thanks is works good. Got most of my water traps painted that stuff works great. But I can’t stand it I had to paint them camo colors lol

Latest posts