What did you do mountain related today part II

ddd-shooter

A bear in a tree has to be the easiest thing to sneak up on in the mountains as long as you have the wind. Very cool video! Watching a bear go down or up a tree you really get a sense of how comfortable they are up there.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Was up on the AT this morning visiting some side ridges that I hunt from below.
Snuck up on this fella pretty easily because he was making so much noise in the treetops. I'd put my walking stick under my arm while sneaking in and it clattered on some brush as I went by and he made me. He got real woofy and since he had made me, I stepped on in to video (volume up). While trying to zoom in I dropped that walking stick out from under my armpit, causing him to eject eject eject! I knew he was healthy (EDIT:huffy dang auto- incorect...)and could be unpredictable so I went after the stick as he hit the ground and I lost him in the video. Basically we went opposite directions!

View attachment 1173388

https://youtube.com/shorts/lUDJEg5sBdU?feature=share

Quite a few shen trails along the trail within a couple of steps. But most of them were shriveled in past prime. I guess the average AT hiker doesn't know what they're missing.
I picked a handful for tonight's dinner instead of a bag full.

View attachment 1173389

View attachment 1173390View attachment 1173391View attachment 1173392
I don't know how you took such nice pics. My phone was so wet with sweat, the touchscreen function wouldn't work. I tried filming the sow and cub, but couldn't get my phone to cooperate.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Don’t think you can climb a tree to get away from a bear. They can climb a whole lot faster than we can.

jbogg

Was up on the AT this morning visiting some side ridges that I hunt from below.
Snuck up on this fella pretty easily because he was making so much noise in the treetops. I'd put my walking stick under my arm while sneaking in and it clattered on some brush as I went by and he made me. He got real woofy and since he had made me, I stepped on in to video (volume up). While trying to zoom in I dropped that walking stick out from under my armpit, causing him to eject eject eject! I knew he was healthy (EDIT:huffy dang auto- incorect...)and could be unpredictable so I went after the stick as he hit the ground and I lost him in the video. Basically we went opposite directions!

View attachment 1173388

https://youtube.com/shorts/lUDJEg5sBdU?feature=share

Quite a few shen trails along the trail within a couple of steps. But most of them were shriveled in past prime. I guess the average AT hiker doesn't know what they're missing.
I picked a handful for tonight's dinner instead of a bag full.

View attachment 1173389

View attachment 1173390View attachment 1173391View attachment 1173392

Awesome video Corbett! Way to put the sneak on him. How late in the morning was it when you caught him in the tree?

trad bow

Well my season just came to a screeching halt. Having shoulder pains in both shoulders. MRI showed both shoulders with complete rotator cuff tears plus bicep ligaments completely torn with a 1” separation in the left shoulder. Surgery on left shoulder September 16. Right shoulder has more damage and looks as if it will need to be replaced. Lots of pain in right but not so much in left. I really had no idea till the MRI this past Sunday.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Well my season just came to a screeching halt. Having shoulder pains in both shoulders. MRI showed both shoulders with complete rotator cuff tears plus bicep ligaments completely torn with a 1” separation in the left shoulder. Surgery on left shoulder September 16. Right shoulder has more damage and looks as if it will need to be replaced. Lots of pain in right but not so much in left. I really had no idea till the MRI this past Sunday.

giphy.gif

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

Durn, I hate to hear that. I know a lot of guys are anti-crossbow, and that's ok, but if it meant the difference in hunting vs not hunting, I believe I'd be looking into one.

trad bow

Durn, I hate to hear that. I know a lot of guys are anti-crossbow, and that's ok, but if it meant the difference in hunting vs not hunting, I believe I'd be looking into one.
You know back when the debate on crossbows happened I was the President of Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia and vehemently opposed crossbows during archery season. Even with my body in the shape it’s in, I will not desecrate the spirit of the bow and use a device just for the sake of killing something. I’ll be satisfied to just use my flintlocks to hunt with. Just understand this is my feelings and thoughts for my hunting. Anyone else can do what they wish for their selves. I not have a problem with that.

Professor

OOOOOOOOHHHH!!! I am sorry to hear this. You have a long rd ahead.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
You know back when the debate on crossbows happened I was the President of Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia and vehemently opposed crossbows during archery season. Even with my body in the shape it’s in, I will not desecrate the spirit of the bow and use a device just for the sake of killing something. I’ll be satisfied to just use my flintlocks to hunt with. Just understand this is my feelings and thoughts for my hunting. Anyone else can do what they wish for their selves. I not have a problem with that.

And I fully support you and your views. At this stage in my life, I plan to shoot a compound for as long as I physically can. Then I'll evaluate my options.

chrislibby88

Yikes, hope you make a quick recovery after surgery.

trad bow

Thanks guys for your thoughts BUT get back to hunting. If y’all feel someone looking over y’all’s shoulder while you’re hunting and getting a shot at game, it’s just me. Calm down and make the shot!!!

Professor

Did you find some new trauma? It seems you could not move your arm with a complete rotator cuff tear and torn bicep.

trad bow

That’s got the doctors puzzled as my left shoulder has no pain but can’t hardly use my right arm for the pain. Other than that I’m as clueless as the doctors as I’ve had two mri’s on both shoulders. X-ray shows the damage to my left arm but not to my right.

splatek

UAEC

I hate to hear this man. I hate it.
Rest up and keep active. You'll be back pulling that string in no time!
Shoulders are the worst - I have two bad ones, they're still working and I am trying to do everything to keep them in good shape, but it's tough with an active lifestyle, tossing kids in the air, etc etc.

Latest posts