What happened to the good 'ol days DRIVELER # 335.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Sunshine.....

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I also wasn`t his friend, I was his Daddy.

Nic, I think that's a lot of the problem these days...parents want to be their kids friend. Friendship has little place in the authority hierarchy. Respect, politeness, love (for your kids), sure.

When I owned my own company, I required my site supervisors to stay at separate hotels from the field crew (not better, just separate). I didn't want them all hanging out after work becoming buds. I wanted the supervisors to be able to make tough decisions when they needed. Being 'friends' interferes with that.

While I did try to give my kids more, I was not their friend. I was their dad, and I was the one that practiced 'tough love' when it was needed. They both grew up to be honest, strong willed and well mannered (conservative) young adults.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, I think that's a lot of the problem these days...parents want to be their kids friend. Friendship has little place in the authority hierarchy. Respect, politeness, love (for your kids), sure.

When I owned my own company, I required my site supervisors to stay at separate hotels from the field crew (not better, just separate). I didn't want them all hanging out after work becoming buds. I wanted the supervisors to be able to make tough decisions when they needed. Being 'friends' interferes with that.

While I did try to give my kids more, I was not their friend. I was their dad, and I was the one that practiced 'tough love' when it was needed. They both grew up to be honest, strong willed and well mannered (conservative) young adults.

:cheers:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m so glad this is how I grew up as a boy. It set a foundation that has lasted a lifetime. This gentlemen’s life mirrors my early days in the mountains.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I’m so glad this is how I grew up as a boy. It set a foundation that has lasted a lifetime. This gentlemen’s life mirrors my early days in the mountains.

Not gonna say it / / /

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master

Appreciate that Bob, fits right into this thread and where my train of thought was when I posted it, along with the other posts above. I sure would love to hear some of the old stories from around here again.

:cheers:

Core Lokt

My wife often tells me I was born way to late. I tell her I agree but If I was I wouldn't be here to rescue herer

basstrkr

While visiting the coal mimes for my company I spent a week in Harlan Kentucky one night. Met some very good tough people there.

Core Lokt

Being friends with kids, oh yeah. I agree with being the parent and not the friend but being a loving parent. My 21 yr old girl had to have a reality check this afternoon. I think she got it....

It was all about having a pig pen for a bedroom in my house. That isn't like her and I reminded her. I know she is deep into school but you have to learn to multi task around here and she knows it. .

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
They'll thank you for it later in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.