What has happened to the Robin population?

Redbow

I used to see hundred of Robins in huge flocks when I was a boy. Although they do not seem to be as plentiful as they used to be last week we had about 50 or so in our back yard feeding. I have eaten a many one of those birds also they are good and sweet to the taste. Robins have always been protected by law in NC but people killed them anyway especially on the farm for a quick change in diet back in the fifties.

Robust Redhorse

They are gone in north Gorgia for now, but I'm expecting them at any time when it warms up.

My wife and I watch bird feeders every morning when we eat breakfast.

We have:

Suet
Mixed birdseeds
Thistle
Mealworms

With everything coated in Tabasco sauce, to stop the squirrels!

The robins like the mealworms.

Come to think of it, mealworms are my oldest pets.

We bought 1,000 live one off of eBay in 2002 to feed my son's lizard. They have been with us for 22 years!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I never see any of them around home from early October to about late February/early March. At my work at a lower elevation, they usually come through in foraging flocks mixed with cedar waxwings about early February. It's usually mid-April before they come in for good.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Knowing the seasonal habits and migration patterns of birds is a great way to keep myself entertained. The robins will be around when it’s time for them

Hoss

Been seeing a few flocks here in Augusta the last few days. Red wing blackbirds are also showing up. Feeders are getting hit hard. At least the birds are getting the food instead of the squirrel. Also had a cowbird invasion.

snookdoctor

Over a hundred in the yard at a time for the last week, when the dogs are not out. When the dogs are loose, the birds fly up to the trees and raise cane.

Buckstop

Had a group of maybe 100 around our lease in Emmanuel Co near the end of deer season. Haven't seen any here in central east coast FL this year. Used to have a few days every year decades ago when they'd be thick and drunk on berries. Most years at least one or two would crash into a closed window and knock themselves dead. Haven't had that happen in more than 25 years.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Been seeing a few flocks here in Augusta the last few days. Red wing blackbirds are also showing up. Feeders are getting hit hard. At least the birds are getting the food instead of the squirrel. Also had a cowbird invasion.

We had about 100 red wings come through last week. The robins can't be far behind.

Redbow

We had a few more Robins come thru two days ago. They stayed for a little while and then off they went. Not seeing them like we used to here smaller flocks it seems coming by every year now. Wouldn't mind having a mess to eat but I won't kill them anymore.

Stroker

Had robins last two weekends in my backyard. We have cane patch that my wife's grandfather planted 60+ years ago that the gackle blackbirds come back to every spring to nest, they got here last week. I've been here 30+ years and they have never missed a year, don't know how long they have been roosting here. Several hundred come in right at dusk every night raising a ruckus, but I really enjoy sitting out on the patio watching them.

Redbow

Had robins last two weekends in my backyard. We have cane patch that my wife's grandfather planted 60+ years ago that the gackle blackbirds come back to every spring to nest, they got here last week. I've been here 30+ years and they have never missed a year, don't know how long they have been roosting here. Several hundred come in right at dusk every night raising a ruckus, but I really enjoy sitting out on the patio watching them.
Them ole boat-tailed Grackles come every year they are here now along with Brown Headed Cowbirds mixed in with them. They raid our bird feeders every morning until nothing is left for the resident birds. The Grackles love nesting in the live oak trees around our area. Brown Headed Cowbirds lay eggs in another birds nest so many of their hatchlings are raised by foster parent birds. I am not a big fan of any species of blackbirds, sometimes Starlings are with them also.

jaydawg

Back in the day robins were killed by the thousands and thousands in the south…taste like doves…then the Migratory Bird Act was passed in 1918

Jester896

Senior Clown
Back in the day robins were killed by the thousands and thousands in the south…taste like doves…then the Migratory Bird Act was passed in 1918
i'd bet money some wouldn't be able to tell of it was Robin or Dove in the rice.

I haven't seen any here yet either @Nicodemus and last year I only remember them around for about a week in the yard

Latest posts