What has happened to the Robin population?

Swamprat

Swamprat
I remember up until maybe 5 or so years ago flocks of robins would come through getting gall berry and beauty berry fruit while deer hunting, talking hundreds of birds.

Now you might see 50 in a flock. Not sure if some type of disease got to them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember up until maybe 5 or so years ago flocks of robins would come through getting gall berry and beauty berry fruit while deer hunting, talking hundreds of birds.

Now you might see 50 in a flock. Not sure if some type of disease got to them.
Still like that here in late winter in the lower elevations. Big mixed flocks of robins and cedar waxwings.
Plenty of resident robins here now, they showed up a couple weeks ago.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Lots of birds are having issues. Pesticides more than likely are having an impact on many species. Insects are at the base of the food chain, be they pollinators or food for other species. We, as a species have gone a long way in creating the issues we have now, some biologists are referring to this period of time as the Anthropocene, the older I am getting, the changes I have seen in wildlife populations is astronomical. While I have seen gains in some populations, white tailed deer and wild turkeys, the story for many more, what were rather common species, is not the same. In order for an animal to do good, it almost has to be one that we want to harvest via hunting.....if we as a population lose interest in hunting them, their populations tend to not do so good, just look at the rabbit population as an example.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
i still say Robins taste just like dove when you put them in rice...maybe there is hope for the Robin after all

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm ate up with robins lately.

Redbow

There are a few Robins nesting here in our area of the coast but we haven't seen them in the numbers that we used to see them when we first moved here in 2002, Other species of birds are gone or nearly gone. White Throated Sparrows just a hand full, Towhee's we had them here years ago now they are gone. Development here is killing everything.

pjciii

I haven't seen a Robin around this year. My male Cardinal must have lost his mate over the winter. He keeps calling and she is nowhere to be found. Last years nest sits empty and it was about 18 to 20 feet off the ground.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few Robins nesting here in our area of the coast but we haven't seen them in the numbers that we used to see them when we first moved here in 2002, Other species of birds are gone or nearly gone. White Throated Sparrows just a hand full, Towhee's we had them here years ago now they are gone. Development here is killing everything.
I'm covered up with white-throated sparrows in the winter, but they mostly all leave out in the summer. Plenty of towhees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen a Robin around this year. My male Cardinal must have lost his mate over the winter. He keeps calling and she is nowhere to be found. Last years nest sits empty and it was about 18 to 20 feet off the ground.
I have boundless cardinals here. Got an active nest in my rosebush right now. Been seeing 25-30 robins in the yard every day, and they're nesting in my maple trees.
A couple species that I don't see here nearly as much as I used to are meadowlarks and mockingbirds. Some that used to be common here that there are apparently absolutely none of now are kestrels, quail, and whippoorwills.

LonePine

A few robins here but nothing like the numbers of the past. The other day I watched my Neighbor's weed service company spray chemicals all over the lawn and then within minutes a robin was pulling worms out of that same grass. Made me wonder if all these pesticides and herbicides have a downsteam effect on the bird populations.

Redbow

A few robins here but nothing like the numbers of the past. The other day I watched my Neighbor's weed service company spray chemicals all over the lawn and then within minutes a robin was pulling worms out of that same grass. Made me wonder if all these pesticides and herbicides have a downsteam effect on the bird populations.
Not only birds but every other wild creature I truly believe. Cotton-tail Rabbits here are just about a thing of the past also. That stuff probably has a negative effect on humans also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not only birds but every other wild creature I truly believe. Cotton-tail Rabbits here are just about a thing of the past also. That stuff probably has a negative effect on humans also.
I got a herd of yard rabbits. A lot of this comes down to development and lack of habitat. Everybody wants to "clean up" every inch of their property nowadays so it looks like they're "taking care of it," when actually they're ruining it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member