What has happened to the Robin population?

Robust Redhorse

I know this is off topic, but my wife and I watch the bird feeders almost every morning.

This morning:

Woodpeckers-

Downey
Hairy
Red-breasted
Red-headed (not on feeders)
Piliated (not on feeders)

We rarely see red-headed wood peckers, but they were there this morning!

We live near Peckerwood, GA, so this might explain it!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is off topic, but my wife and I watch the bird feeders almost every morning.

This morning:

Woodpeckers-

Downey
Hairy
Red-breasted
Red-headed (not on feeders)
Piliated (not on feeders)

We rarely see red-headed wood peckers, but they were there this morning!

We live near Peckerwood, GA, so this might explain it!
I've only seen one red-headed woodpecker in my whole life. It hung around my house for about three days, then a hawk ate it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Them ole boat-tailed Grackles come every year they are here now along with Brown Headed Cowbirds mixed in with them. They raid our bird feeders every morning until nothing is left for the resident birds. The Grackles love nesting in the live oak trees around our area. Brown Headed Cowbirds lay eggs in another birds nest so many of their hatchlings are raised by foster parent birds. I am not a big fan of any species of blackbirds, sometimes Starlings are with them also.
I hate those cowbirds with a passion. The grackles don't usually bother me much, they usually stay out in the cow pastures and such and don't come around the house. I do love me some red-winged blackbirds. I like to watch them and hear them sing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of robins where I work in Asheville now, but I still haven't seen any around home yet.

Redbow

I hate those cowbirds with a passion. The grackles don't usually bother me much, they usually stay out in the cow pastures and such and don't come around the house. I do love me some red-winged blackbirds. I like to watch them and hear them sing.
Years ago down in SC I saw a big flock of Red Winged Blackbirds take to flight. The red on their wings reflected in the sunlight as they became airborne, one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen with birds that I won't ever forget. Very few Redwings here on the coast.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Do the redwings send scouts out to find feed or places to go. I seen a lone redwing why I ask.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We would see the flocks of redwings in the fall around dove season as I remember as a kid hunting dove.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago down in SC I saw a big flock of Red Winged Blackbirds take to flight. The red on their wings reflected in the sunlight as they became airborne, one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen with birds that I won't ever forget. Very few Redwings here on the coast.
I don't usually see big flocks of redwings here. They come in about April in pairs and stay through the summer and nest. They always nest around water.

Redbow

I don't usually see big flocks of redwings here. They come in about April in pairs and stay through the summer and nest. They always nest around water.
Oh yeah the Redwings love being around water there were lots of them around the Santee-Cooper lakes years ago, I love to hear them sing, so pretty.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Down at the cabin there`s redwings by the thousands still. They nest and roost in the cattails all around Seminole. One cattail bed runs up to the back porch and the last hour of daylight they`re so loud you can`t carry on a conversation. Plenty of redheaded woodpeckers as well. There`s also a lot of different bird types seen down there that we don`t see here around the house in Lee County.

Redbow

We have the red-bellied and the red-headed Woodpecker here around the Croatan. The Wife saw a red-bellied Woodpecker at our feeders yesterday. Haven't seen a red-headed one in quite some time though. Saw a Flicker about two days ago.

Robust Redhorse

I think the red-headed woodpeckers may be on their way farther north.
(I don't think we have many residents, like the other peckers)

There were at least 50 robins in my yard in the mountains, this morning.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
First robins of the year showed up in my yard this morning.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I usually have a dozen or so robins hitting the worms in my yard. Lately just a few, but I do have the red bellie woodpeckers Hitting the suet. I have resident doves that are fun to watch come home, hit the bird bath then roost.
As far as songbirds my house wrens sing some pretty amazing tunes too!

Buckman18

Right now I have bunches and bunches or robins at my new house in Union County.