What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

gunner10

i came across a couple doing their stuff in the bbushes lol

the r.o.c.

worked with a guy, he raises prize winning coon dogs, any how he swears the only lure he uses is his wifes used tampons. he said she would put them in a zip lock bag, he used rubber gloves after that. i think ill stick with tinks seems more sanitary, i think...lol

cmshoot

In Ohio I found a rowboat, complete with oars, in the middle of the woods. Farm country in Pataskala, OH. It was a long ways from any body of water that would float a rowboat. It had been there a long time and was fairly rotted.

While training at Camp Lejeune NC in the Corps, me and my spotter were scouting in a swamp near LZ Blue Jay. Found an old orange/white training 'chute up in a tree; old, torn and rotted. A short distance away, we stopped to take a break near a body of stagnant water. I kept eyeballing a "stick" protruding from the edge of the water. Looked really regular. I grabbed it and pulled an M16 (not an M16A1, but an honest M16) out of the mud. Like a dumb A, I turned it in. CID had me and Ernie take 'em back out to the spot where I found it, to look for remains and such. We showed 'em the parachute, but that was all we found.

CID told me later that the rifle was an experimental model, in between the M16 and the M16A1. Only issued to a limited number of troops for field-testing and evaluation. This particular rifle was shipped to an Army unit in southern California. No idea how it ended up where it was.

BTW, the stock, handguards and pistol grip still looked new. The bolt was rusted solid into the chamber, and the front sight and ejection port cover were rusted completely away.

Wish I had cached it and came back for it later...........

Last edited:

STUDENT-ARCHER

Scouts???

Also, years ago in Boy Scouts, we canoed in Canada. We were way back some secluded river when another canoe appeared in front of us. As we got closer we realized it was a fully nude woman and her dog! She didn't seem to mindnotice a bit that 25 boy scouts and leaders had their jaws dragging the water.
She just said, "How are you doing boys? Nice day today."
No one even thought to get a picture.

now that's not being prepared!

timgarside

I have found an old well that was in 70-100 yo timber, lots of old medicine bottles, liquor stills, and also what looks like dunes that were dug by the Etowah river. They look like they might have been hand dug for troops in the civil war to take cover. There are huge trees in them now but they are definatly man made.

timgarside

I'm 56 and have explored many woods in many states being that Dad was in the Air Force [B-52 Nav before he retired in 1966]. I've lived in:
Louisiana [2x]
California [2x]
Florida [2x]
Georgia [.....now]
New York [upstate 25 miles from Canada]
Texas [Galviston I think]

I think I started exploring woods and swamps in Louisiana. We would find old slave shacks in the woods,,a shallow well nearby [always used to look down with flashlight] and the homes looked like the owners left without taking much, probably didn't have much.
I still remember a few old home places I've explored,,and one I WISHED I had explored. That one was a log home totally grown over. Found it in the Pumkinvine Creek area of Paulding/Bartow county line. We were on our brand new Honda 350 Scramblers , 1970 models. Rode out where we were always afraid to drive our cars. Saw a beautiful LOG home somewhere out there in North Paulding far from any travelable road. Might have been a jeep trail near it but definately 4wd area.
We had a deer club near Buckhead/Madison area. It had a 2 story double [both ends]fireplace old farm home that was supposed to be about 150 years old. I tried to sleep in it one night,,,no way!
Anyway, OLD HOME SIGHTS have always interested me. Wished I could click a 'history' button and hear what all had happened in each home. Of course we always talk about metal detecting near them, too.
Here's an old bridge somewhere near Hampton [I think] Ga we found while exploring a possible deer lease a few years ago.

Bridge.jpg

I found an old barn once that had an old 2 seater horse wagon in it. It was preserved like new. There wasn't any houses for a long way and there were trees grown up all around it. You would have needed a logging crew to get it out. There is a subdivision there now so someone got it.

timgarside

wow --I posted way on in this thing about some maryjoawanna but wow --some of the stuff yall found is amazing --after reading Thomas post about that super deer stand I remembered about a climbing stand we happend upon long ago that was actually a 2 basketball goals rigged with screws and some serious welding for a climber ---looked liked it wieghed 50 lbs --I guess 25 yrs agoin 1980 -81 it was like sliced bread, That was when you could walk around for hrs /miles from home and nobody arrested you .
The more of these I read the more crazy stuff I remember seeing. Do ya'll remember the 1st old bow hunter stands that had the bottom piece and the small climbing piece. Well I had one of those dangerous things and one day while I was hunting out of it in Blue Ridge WMA after the sun came up I noticed the climbing piece to another one in the tree right next to me about 30' off the ground. Wierd!

rustydog

Banned
i came upon a old house site about five years ago that was way back a good hour walk. On the front porch there were bits of clothing still hanging and firewood and I looked inside and everything was still in place. There were old liquor bottles and a pair of boots at the foot of the bed clothes were hung across twine that was stretched across corners of the room. the outhouse next to it was still standing and an old barn still standing with hay in it below the house. The best thing about it was that when I walked up there were deer in the apple and walnut trees in the grown up backyard. I came back and hunted there the next morning and killed my first buck with a muzzleloader and went back that afternoon passed on a decent bear and killed a second buck. Up until this year I have seen several nice deer in that old house site and killed a few and very few mornings have I sat and not seen anything until I made the hike in this year to find that the land had been auctioned off as part of a tract of the nantahala national forest that President bush privately auctioned off to help eliminate the nations debt. I aquired the information from the tusquitee ranger district in macon county nc where I was hunting I was very disappointed to find out that a few thousand acres like this has been auctioned off in the past few years. It is mainly land like this that the family had no one to leave it to or owed taxes and it went back to the government.

mossyrich

Hunting in Gilmer I was in the tree for a few hours, I keeped hearing leaves turning and churning, I sat for a nother hour and couldnt stand it no more I had to see what it was. Got down and went to investigate, I never would have belived my eyes, two turtles doing the nasty...

N

NGxplr22

1.Teenage "witches":stir:
They wanted the tails off the three squirrels in my bag:rolleyes:

2.Stoned Geocachers:crazy:
I was turkey hunting and when I got tired of watching them fall over every twig in the area while making as much noise as they could I cleared my throat and stood up away from the tree I was resting against. One of them looked straight at me as I got up. His eyes got as big as golfballs and he ran away screaming "the tree is alive! the tree is alive!". I have no idea where the cache was suppposed to be but they gave it up to go look for their friend.::gone:

duckwhisperer

we were duck huntin the river and found a bag with a laptop, a (difibulator,sp?) a bunch of ppls medical chartes a doctors papers. found it right outside stewart county called it in, turns out sumone stole a doctors car in albany, drove it up to columbus and threw all his stuff off the bridge into the river

BuckinFish

ttt

bow-boy

Man, I just spent almost an hour and read everyone of these! :rofl:
Some of yall are lucky!!!!!
TTT keep em comin!
These are great :hair:

warden127

big game hunter

while working morgan co. on opening day of deer season in 1985 my sgt. and i found a young boy standing in the middle of a intersection of two roads with a loaded firearm deer hunting. he said his father had told him to hunt there and not to move. we located his father almost a quarter mile away in a deer stand. it was funny and dangerous.

XxDeer HunterxX

while working morgan co. on opening day of deer season in 1985 my sgt. and i found a young boy standing in the middle of a intersection of two roads with a loaded firearm deer hunting. he said his father had told him to hunt there and not to move. we located his father almost a quarter mile away in a deer stand. it was funny and dangerous.[/QUOTE

some people:crazy:

Not about hunting but interesting..back when i was about 10 my grandpa told me when he was a young boy he would walk the woods in crawfordville, georgia
he saw where daniel boone had caverd he name in a tree, they no for a facct that he had come through this county

i know a guy who was cutting a few oak trees down on his land and he come to two trees that had grown together had he cut one side down had a old flint muscket had been proped up in there. They said it where they camp for a while i guees the soldier died and the trees had grew around it