• steel

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • hevi shot

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

jason308

Which do yall use for waterfowl hunting and why? I use steel because of the price difference but would like to try some hevishot out this year.

jay sullivent

steel does the job just fine. if you've gotton used to shooting lead at doves and what not, you just have to get used to the slower velocity of the steel. got to lead em a little more.

hunt-chessies

hevi shot is DA BOMB but i can't afford to shoot it as much as i hunt. I buy boxs here and there and mix it in but i shoot kent fasteel most of the time

Dep6

I use Hevi-shot and I LOVE IT, yes more expensive but with the few ducks I see in GA, there is fewer gits away from me!!

jay sullivent

hunt-chessies said:
hevi shot is DA BOMB but i can't afford to shoot it as much as i hunt. I buy boxs here and there and mix it in but i shoot kent fasteel most of the time

that doesn't mess up your shot?? different shells with different types of shot would have different velocities and require a different lead on the bird. i stick with one type of shell so the shot will be consistant. after shooting a little i know exactly how long it takes the shot to hit at different distances and know exactly how much to lead the bird at different distances and speeds. you will hit the bird more consistantly by shooting one type of shell. the type of shot is not the trick to hitting the birds, it's learning your shot that makes the difference. shooting lead at doves requires less leed than shooting the slower steel shot at ducks, so it takes my a little time to readjust at the beginning of each waterfowl season, but once i get back in the groove i can knock em down!!!

Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I like the Kent FS 3" #2's 1 1/8 oz. Have killed geese, ducks and a tundra swan with it.

I do try to use Kent TM #1's for geese, but steel 2's work just as good or better with them inside 35 yds.

Dep, keep telling yourself (and the ol lady) that ::ke: JK :cheers:

hunt-chessies

jay i don't think it mess's me up at all. I usually put it in as my last shot so IF i think i can take that last shot i know that i have a load that is a little slower but more range so i can take my time and knock them down. i do the same with shot sise too. i'll load #4's as my first shot then 2's or BB mabey as my second/third if i know its a slow day and im only seeing singles and pairs.

WOODIE13

I have done the same with steel 2's and BB's. Works well for the cripple skiiping out and has gotten to the edge.

jay sullivent

hunt-chessies said:
jay i don't think it mess's me up at all. I usually put it in as my last shot so IF i think i can take that last shot i know that i have a load that is a little slower but more range so i can take my time and knock them down. i do the same with shot sise too. i'll load #4's as my first shot then 2's or BB mabey as my second/third if i know its a slow day and im only seeing singles and pairs.

which shell is slower but has more range?

hunt-chessies

hevi shot is around 1250 fps i think it is......and kent is 1550.
the hevi has a far better range an knock down power over a distance. up close you really don't get your moneys worth with hevi shot but at a distance its golden!! thats just my opinion. I use 3 or 4's in kent and 6's in hevi (unless im expecting geese then i'll use 2 or 4 in hevi and BB in kent)

WOODIE13

They have Kent TM that is going out the barrel @ 1500 fps in 3" loadings last year. Have not seen it lately, but would work great on geese IMHO.

Smiley

GONetwork Senator District 44
I prefer 3 1/2 Drylocks #2's for ducks and BB's for geese. Seems when I switch up and use different brands, it takes a minute to get back on target.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
Steel shot

I shoot steel shot also, usually Remington or Kent whichever I can find the best deal on, 3" #2's mostly. I would like to try the hevi-shot. I hunted with some guys last year that shot and they really liked them. They are just so expensive. :pop:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

jason308

Amen to that Gacowboy. And most of the hevishot I have seen comes in a box of 10 instead of 20 like steel. :huh: I think it averages out to between $1.50 and $2 a shot. I may buy some if I can find a deal somewhere like Macks. A buddy told me he saw a steal on a case of hevishot a year or two ago at one of those places. I think I will stick to steel for now.

WOODIE13

Get them close and they will not know the difference :shoot:

GADAWGS

Me and a few others went in on a case of Hevi two years ago ( only way I could afford it at bulk). Still cant bring myself to shoot it. Gonna have to this year but think I will save it to go to AR with, till then I think I will try the Kent, havent tried that yet.

Duck's and Buck's

3 1/2's

I noticed that hardly anyone shoots 3 1/2's. I shot 3" hevi-shot exclusively for the last two yrs. and loved it. My last trip to Ark. last season I ran out of shells and my hunting buddy shoots 3 1/2" winchester supreme so I bummed some and I could not tell a whole lot of difference. The price diff. is huge so I am going to give up on the old hevi-shot for now. We'll see what happens throughout the yr. and if I still feel the same way.

GADAWGS

As if ya aint got enuff Gary. Sides, it looks good in my ammo box and keeps it from floatin away

bigunga1

actually,

i don't have very much at all... i shot it all in texas in january.... help a fella out... i need to restock..