manpower shortage

Tmpr111

Off topic here but..... There's a shortage in the construction industry where I work as well - it's everywhere. Heard it said best the other day --- Many in the up and coming generation do not understand that you have to work to get from a certain dollar amount to a higher dollar amount, or from your current position to the upper position. They feel offended when they're not immediately considered equal to their colleagues. We have some very intelligent individuals come through our company who just cannot understand how the Sr. Technician gets the perks that he gets, the SENIORITY. It's a real game changer and many skill type trades are suffering from it.

But to the OP, we should pay these folks more, especially those in leadership and serving roles!

wvdawg

Staff member
I had three of them on my lease at the same time back in April.
It was also the third year in a row that they have checked us. The only reason given was that they saw turkey feathers next to my truck that was parked by our gate. Walked in more than a mile to find us. Didn't appear to be a manpower shortage then.

Tmpr111

I had three of them on my lease at the same time back in April.
It was also the third year in a row that they have checked us. The only reason given was that they saw turkey feathers next to my truck that was parked by our gate. Walked in more than a mile to find us. Didn't appear to be a manpower shortage then.

Sounds like it was personal :)

wvdawg

Staff member
Sounds like it was personal :)

Actually, one of them now knows me by name. He didn't even bother to check my license or gun this year when he saw it was me.:bounce:

ALB

I think this would be a great opportunity for some young people. Pay is not so great but it's ok and benefits are very good. And you get retirement!

Dnr gw

on my club this spring. Caught one of my club members baiting turkeys with cracked corn.

I don't know what happened, but "IT" happened on my club and all the clubs around me. Absolutely void of turkey hunters, not a truck track, not a boot print, not a four wheeler track....nothing.

Makes you wonder how many turkey hunters are actually turkey hunters, and not blind over food plot over cracked corn turkey non-hunters.

s&r

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
on my club this spring. Caught one of my club members baiting turkeys with cracked corn.

I don't know what happened, but "IT" happened on my club and all the clubs around me. Absolutely void of turkey hunters, not a truck track, not a boot print, not a four wheeler track....nothing.

Makes you wonder how many turkey hunters are actually turkey hunters, and not blind over food plot over cracked corn turkey non-hunters.

s&r

Maybe they will catch them all. It's an entitled world out there. The pursuit and challenge has been replaced by something less. When I was in college the starting pay for a GW was about 13k a year. lol.

8pointduck

Off topic here but..... There's a shortage in the construction industry where I work as well - it's everywhere. Heard it said best the other day --- Many in the up and coming generation do not understand that you have to work to get from a certain dollar amount to a higher dollar amount, or from your current position to the upper position. They feel offended when they're not immediately considered equal to their colleagues. We have some very intelligent individuals come through our company who just cannot understand how the Sr. Technician gets the perks that he gets, the SENIORITY. It's a real game changer and many skill type trades are suffering from it.

But to the OP, we should pay these folks more, especially those in leadership and serving roles!

You are100% correct.

8pointduck

I think this would be a great opportunity for some young people. Pay is not so great but it's ok and benefits are very good. And you get retirement!

41,000 starting salary for an unexperience officer? You think that is not so great? This is the very reason this country is so messed up.

tree cutter 08

If it wasn't for all the schooling i would have been interested. I could have stood maybe a extra year of school but no longer.

MFOSTER

BANNED
Dang when I was young and dumb there was one in every county,and I meet most of them.

Long Cut

Wonder where the funding came from, I know they’re very limited on gas allowances etc..

Glad to see the State helping out, though. By the end of duck season you can see it in many Wardens faces they’re flat wore out.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Wonder where the funding came from, I know they’re very limited on gas allowances etc..

Glad to see the State helping out, though. By the end of duck season you can see it in many Wardens faces they’re flat wore out.

Funding came from the license fee increase, hiring more game wardens was one of the things promised when it was making its way through the legislature.

HM

The miss out on a lot of good people because of the college degree requirement

44magpastor

This is a great opportunity and starting salary. Much better than entry level positions with other state agencies.

Many years ago, I was a Ranger with the Georgia Forestry Commission. We were on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We didn't get paid overtime. When I left, in early 2003, the starting salary was $25,100. 15 years later, with the same expectations, the job pays only pays $27,000. Most of their employees now have less than 3 years experience.

REDMOND1858

The miss out on a lot of good people because of the college degree requirement
X1000
They don’t even require a degree.....you can get by with a certain number of college credits and no degree. What good will a useless degree do in the field? I know several good officers that would go for it if it wasn’t for that. I could understand possibly requiring one for promotion to leadership positions, but as a entry level officer?? State patrol doesn’t require one and those fellas are top notch. Why the heck does DNR?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
GBI requires a 4 year degree