Scope and rings for Tikka t3X LITE

Professor

Just picked up a Tikka t3x LITE in .270 for my son. Great rifle - it does kick however at 5.9 lbs. I am looking for scope mounting suggestions as well as advise on a scope. Gun is for a mule deer hunt we are planning for next fall in Idaho. Thanks in advance to all.

35 Whelen

I put a DNZ Game Reaper one-piece scope mount and a Leupold 3-9x40 VXI on my Tikka T3 270 Winchester. Unfortunately Leupold no longer makes the VXI and VXII scopes and replaced them with the Freedom line.

https://www.dnzproducts.com/

Darkhorse

I use the factory rings, a .308 doesn't generate the recoil to make the scope shift. I also have a set of 30MM rings that incorporate the factory clamp on style. If you buy a set make sure it's for the Tikka so it will incorporate a pin stop to keep the scope and mounts from sliding.
If I ever buy another set of rings I will probably get them from Tikka or Sako as they have several sets to choose from.
Several years ago I bought a Zeiss 3X9X40 and I've been happy ever since.

Professor

I use the factory rings
The gun no longer comes with rings, and I have heard from numerous sources that the Sako rings are not the way to go. As far as recoil goes, it kicks like a mule. Do the factory rings have a pin or is there a base with a stop pin?

Professor

I should have specified a budget for the scope. Need to keep it under $300.00. Could go used to save some.

lonewolf247

Just looked at Game Reaper photos. It looks really solid. Does the base have a stop pin?

I don't have a Tikka T3, with DNZ mounts, so I can't answer that for sure, on the pin, but I seriously doubt it. That Recoil pin hole is designed for use with dovetail rings if you go that route. It's not needed with a 1-piece solid base. I have DNZ mounts on about 5 rifles, and not one issue whatsoever including recoil. I have them on .35 Whelen, 30-06, .308, .270, and .257WM.

I pulled this quote from the "Warne" website, which is also a good mount option, btw.

Quote:

We often get asked if our bases for the Tikka T3 have a recoil lug to fit in the pin hole on the receiver. Our answer to the question is no, they do not. The next question is almost always “why”? The simple answer is that it does not need one. The hole in the Tikka receiver is not intended for use with a base. That hole is machined in the receiver with the intent of dovetail rings being used, it is a hole for a recoil pin. If you were to think of it this way, would you be concerned that a picatinny rail for your Remington 700, or Winchester Model 70 does not have a recoil pin in it? No, of course you wouldn’t, because there is no hole for one to fit in. Then why would it make any difference for a Tikka? Warne bases are secured to the receiver with 4 high strength steel T-15 Torx screws. Adding a recoil lug to the base is a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Reactions: Dub

wareagle700

Sportsmatch rings look like the best option if mounting direct to the dovetail. Talley's are ok but wouldn't be my first pick given the other options.

Personally I like a CTR rail and rings. The CTR rails are pretty easy to find used if you ask around and they are the lowest rail I have seen.

For the scope, need to know your budget before recommending something. But I will start with Nightforce, Bushnell (only the Elite series), SWFA, maybe few others but there are very few companies making a reliable hunting scope anymore under $1000. I would aviod any companies that use their "incredible warranty" as a top selling point.

0qwQVtzh.png

Last edited:

35 Whelen

I am ordering DNZ Game Reaper one-piece scope mount - 1" rings - for the Tikka. I see no used option on the Meopta Meopro - though I am impressed reading about them. Did however find the Leupold 3-9x40 VXII NIB for $250.00. That might be the ticket.

You will not be disappointed with that setup!

Professor

Went with the Tally rings jester896 offered and the Leupold 3-9x40 VXII with a long range reticle is on the way. Also ordered a limb saver because this things kicks like a dangerous game rifle. I will let you all know verdict but I am expecting positive reviews.

TJay

I've had a couple of Tikka's, they're great rifles but recoil can be sharp with certain calibers. My buddy had one in 30'06 and it kicked like a .300. The Limbsaver is an excellent idea.