tipping guides

jdgator

Hi everyone,

I am going on my first guided hunt this November - to a blast-n-cast in Venice, LA. I was wondering how you decide how much to tip guides if you get skunked. The particular outfitter I am going with is highly recommended, but if I don't get a shot at any ducks or the fish don't bite, how should I decide how much to tip?

Thanks.

DeweyDuck

Tipping

$20 a day per gun is a fairly good tip. Be appreciative of any extra effort the guide puts out for you and you'll be welcome for the next hunt. One of my favorite tricks is to buy a gift in advance of your trip to present upon your arrival. Maybe a bird knife, Callaway Garden jelly, or anything of interest from your area that he may not have access to.

tim1225agr

All guides like to eat. Last year we took some onions with us to AR and the guides nearly ate them all before we left. I think Dewey has some great advice here.

Nitro

Banned
Good advice. I have done the food, booze, calls, knife thing. Honestly, most of the guides enjoy the international tip - cold hard cash.

IMHO, 20% of the cost of the hunt or charter is a starting point. Depending on your income, generosity, and the success of the trip, the rate should go up.

Guiding for a living is a tough way to make a dollar.

Nitro

Banned
Enjoy your trip!!!!!!

Venice is an awesome place. I am sure you will have fun. If you fly into New Orleans, the drive to Venice is worth the trip. You can't believe the damage Katrina did down there.

Stop at the first roadside place you see a full parking lot and eat lunch.

Bring home some Boudin. It freezes well...

I hope you wear out the Trout, Reds and Ducks!!

clent586

It is just like a restaurant, if you keep my tea glass full-smile-and don't try and suck up too much to my wife and kids, you will get atleast 20% from me. The bad food is not your fault just like the weather turning crappy (75 degrees in the OBX on Janruary 17th) is not the guides fault. I personally think the gift thing works better south of the border where they can't afford the sugar to make the jelly. JMHO

Bill Brown

One other thing is not forget the cook. Many times the cook is the host's wife, but be sure to include the cook & we have found the giving them the money/tip directly assures that they get ALL of it. Sometimes the outfitter/host will try to take a "cut" from the guides & cooks tips (if not provided to them directly).

DeweyDuck

Good advice. I have done the food, booze, calls, knife thing. Honestly, most of the guides enjoy the international tip - cold hard cash.

IMHO, 20% of the cost of the hunt or charter is a starting point. Depending on your income, generosity, and the success of the trip, the rate should go up.

Guiding for a living is a tough way to make a dollar.

Great points Nitro. I always wonder what the deal is between the outfitter and guide. They surely get a set percentage or at least a daily fee. I don't know how to factor this into the equation. If I pay the outfitter $300 a day, 20% is $60 per gun. That seems way too high for me if the guide is getting paid too. Yeah , I know, life is tough!!(if you can pay $300 a day, what's another freakin $60)

illinoishunter77

$20 a day per gun is a fairly good tip. Be appreciative of any extra effort the guide puts out for you and you'll be welcome for the next hunt. One of my favorite tricks is to buy a gift in advance of your trip to present upon your arrival. Maybe a bird knife, Callaway Garden jelly, or anything of interest from your area that he may not have access to.
A present is always welcome when it is followed by cash, there is no substitute for green.The guides at most operations are working even though you are not there, there are not many days off when you are a guide. IMO $20 falls below the mark. One thing you have to remember is that a guide never forgets what you offered him/her as a tip, something to keep in mind for those return hunts. A guide will overlook short tip once maybe twice. Most guides spend more time working than with their family, so consider that as well.

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
A present is always welcome when it is followed by cash, there is no substitute for green.The guides at most operations are working even though you are not their, there are not many days off when you are a guide. IMO $20 falls below the mark. One thing you have to remember is that a guide never forgets what you offered him/her as a tip, something to keep in mind for those return hunts. A guide will overlook short tip once maybe twice. Most guides spend more time working than with their family, so consider that as well.

Well said, there friend. Also most guides are picking up your birds, usually with his or her dog. Remember to pay compliments to the guide's dog if it is performing well, for most of us, it is close to complimenting our kids. I also think $20 falls short, personally $50 for the efforts and dog work is what I pay when I go somewhere, and I would give more, but unlike deer guiding, duck guides get to hunt, and thats worth something.

Russ Toole

Just as a precaution, reserve your trip with a credit card and not a check. Few years ago I reserved a blast a cast trip in the lousians delta and the day we were leaving the guy calls me and tells me some story about someone dying and he cant take us. Need less to say, it took 3 months to get my money back. That was after contacting Lousiana Sportsman magazine where he advertised, and finding out his families phone # and bugging his dad. My bank would not do anything because i paid with a check.

illinoishunter77

Well said, there friend. Also most guides are picking up your birds, usually with his or her dog. Remember to pay compliments to the guide's dog if it is performing well, for most of us, it is close to complimenting our kids. I also think $20 falls short, personally $50 for the efforts and dog work is what I pay when I go somewhere, and I would give more, but unlike deer guiding, duck guides get to hunt, and thats worth something.
It's supplemental shooting, not hunting.

JohnBenoit09

the guides are working and have to support their family. ALWAYS tip with cash and not gifts. Although knifes etc are nice it does nothing for their family. 10% to 12% is the rule of thumb for tipping. Give the guide money directly so big guy doesnt take a cut of it.

DeweyDuck

Wow, you guys are good! LOL. So what would you tip a guy like Carles Snapp when you are already paying him about $450 a day? I would certainly tip more than $20 because of who he is, but 20% per gun per day?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Well, Charles is the owner, so you would have to assume that he doesn't need the money. Its not at all about "who a person is", its about the effort a giude (not guide/owner) has put forth in attaining your goal of a good hunt BTW, I never said 20%, because of yourexact reason. 20% of $450 is $90, and I said $50.

DeweyDuck

I didn't mean to start a war here but I appreciate the chance to help jbgator make an intelligent decision about his trip to Venice. So, tip the cook first!!! Take plenty of cash in case you have a once in a lifetime hunt and be real generous in case you wind up just making memories. Then post your pics here for us to share the hunt with you!!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
No hurt feelings here, just opinions being expressed. I respect yours as well as I'm sure you respect mine. Just always good for different input from alot of folks so gator can take what he needs from all of it.

illinoishunter77

Wow, you guys are good! LOL. So what would you tip a guy like Carles Snapp when you are already paying him about $450 a day? I would certainly tip more than $20 because of who he is, but 20% per gun per day?
Somebody would have to pay me $450 plus tip to hunt with Charles Snapp.