Jesus' deity was divinely limited

1gr8bldr

Until the flood, everything was watered by {gen 2 :5+6]"for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth" "but streams came up and watered the whole surface of the ground" Also, the rainbow promise requires the rain. In other words, it would have been there already if it had been raining.
Hebrews 11:7 "by faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen [rain] built an ark.."

1gr8bldr

The preflood enviroment was different in a major way. I infer that the introduction of rain played a part. But actually if you read the scriptures carefully, you can not prove that rain did not exist. It is inferred, not stated directly

Artfuldodger

Until the flood, everything was watered by {gen 2 :5+6]"for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth" "but streams came up and watered the whole surface of the ground" Also, the rainbow promise requires the rain. In other words, it would have been there already if it had been raining.

I've heard this before. It would explain the lack of a rainbow before the flood. The firmament kept the moisture in like a giant terrarium.

1gr8bldr

I've heard this before. It would explain the lack of a rainbow before the flood. The firmament kept the moisture in like a giant terrarium.
It would be very interesting to understand this, the enviroment, and how the lifespans were greater, etc

hobbs27

Can you sing this?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
It would be very interesting to understand this, the enviroment, and how the lifespans were greater, etc

I'll bet our jaws would drop if we were shown the entirity of how things were in those days.
I think the possibilities are endless.

hobbs27

If you don't believe jesus is God, then you are no different than those that shouted, Crucify Him, Crucify Him!

Artfuldodger

If you don't believe jesus is God, then you are no different than those that shouted, Crucify Him, Crucify Him!

Those Jews were doing what they were preordained to do for Jesus to get crucified. They were just doing their elected chore for the greater good of mankind.

hobbs27

Those Jews were doing what they were preordained to do for Jesus to get crucified. They were just doing their elected chore for the greater good of mankind.

And people that deny he is God today?

Israel

BANNED
I sometimes believe I see this: people put their faith in believing "right". I know at least one person who does it.

But I also find this when I try to rest comfortably there. Something tells me my faith is misplaced, and is not faith at all..simply self.
Regardless of what I may think I know, things I may think I have learned, or things I may think have "been through" for his namesake...to abide in his name is abiding in the place where I know I can do nothing of myself. And none of that means anything.
I am still...just as I started, if I am indeed, anywhere at all...totally dependent upon someone else to do all for me that, so obviously now, have tried to do...been deceived to do...for myself.
I can only breathe out "save me, or I am not..."

1gr8bldr

Hello Hobbs, The last chorus, "he prayed for me", Why would Jesus if he were God, pray for me? A little more about myself. I left the baptist several years ago for good. I had left for a while looking for fellowship of like believers, but I could not find it. So I returned. I planned that I would attend church and overlook the differences. Being that I had been in that church all my life, I was well known, well liked. But I had to give up teaching because it bothered me to purposely skip scriptures to keep from teaching contrary to my personal beliefs. I managed to do this for about another 3 years. I know this to be exact because that was my deacon term commitment. But towards the end, I could do this no longer. What it was that most bothered me was the music. Much of what was sung was assuming or claiming that Jesus was God. Although I could skip a chorus, I was not among like believers. As soon as my term was up, that day, was my last. The music/songs was the breaking point.

1gr8bldr

When Jesus asked Peter, "who do you say I am?" why did he not reply "God" or "God the Son" or "2nd person of the trinity". He said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God"

1gr8bldr

If the gospel is believing that Jesus is God, why the missing context? The NT was written many years after the fact. Given plenty of time for the writer to observe the acceptance and denial of this socalled truth. After observing this, it would naturally motivate you to address the biggest issue. Surely John, for example had seen hundreds deny that Jesus is God [hypothetical] so you think he would have wrote about this or a least write to try to be convincing that he was. Same with Paul or Peter. If they were trying to convince anyone of this then there should be much context involving this. Instead we see conflict over matters of the law or food sacrificed to idols. But we see no record that extremly monotheistic Jews just accepted a new belief. No explanation of something that so conflicted their beliefs. That God is one, but is three. To believe that they just accepted this, with no recorded explanation, no recorded conflict is not reasonable. They would have had to accept this hook line and sinker with no needed explanation or it simply was not the issue, was not taught, and is a future doctrine.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I sometimes believe I see this: people put their faith in believing "right". I know at least one person who does it.

But I also find this when I try to rest comfortably there. Something tells me my faith is misplaced, and is not faith at all..simply self.
Regardless of what I may think I know, things I may think I have learned, or things I may think have "been through" for his namesake...to abide in his name is abiding in the place where I know I can do nothing of myself. And none of that means anything.
I am still...just as I started, if I am indeed, anywhere at all...totally dependent upon someone else to do all for me that, so obviously now, have tried to do...been deceived to do...for myself.
I can only breathe out "save me, or I am not..."

Indeed, we can only know if it is given to us … but then, have we correctly received? … only if it has been given to us to receive correctly.

Where is self? It is an obstruction. Lord save us from faith in an obstruction to your Truth.

hobbs27

Hello Hobbs, The last chorus, "he prayed for me", Why would Jesus if he were God, pray for me? A little more about myself. I left the baptist several years ago for good. .

His prayer for me, is about my personal salvation that is between me and him...if not for any other person, he was beaten, spat on, and crucified for me, that I may have eternal life in heaven.
Don't forget this one part, as Jesus walked on this Earth he was 100% man and 100% God. I think this gets confusing to those that want to limit Gods power to the rules of the English language.
As for you being an ex Baptist deacon, and now an Unitarian.Im glad you found a doctrine that suits you, myself I'm just a born again Christian that bounces around from one denomination to another.

1gr8bldr

His prayer for me, is about my personal salvation that is between me and him...if not for any other person, he was beaten, spat on, and crucified for me, that I may have eternal life in heaven.
Don't forget this one part, as Jesus walked on this Earth he was 100% man and 100% God. I think this gets confusing to those that want to limit Gods power to the rules of the English language.
As for you being an ex Baptist deacon, and now an Unitarian.Im glad you found a doctrine that suits you, myself I'm just a born again Christian that bounces around from one denomination to another.
It's lonely being Unitarian because no fellowships exist in my area

gtparts

Some are not sure what they believe about the issue. We both "air out" the arguments so that people might observe and make educated decissions. Not because their mother or Grandmother told them so, but because they know the issues. Not debating the person, just the issues. This debate has gone on since early NT times. I don't think we will settle the issue anytime before he returns. I can respect anyone's position, as long as it was built on a careful evaluation. Many just believe what the preacher says, this is what concerns me

Please don't take this as an attempt to offend, but exactly how did you come about your particular theology? If by the instruction of others, then your basis for your beliefs is no more valid than those you criticize in your first paragraph.

Secondly, do you really believe that making an educated decision regarding a theological point based on a thread in this forum is a wise idea?

Let me bottomline this issue as I see it. Your theological position makes little sense to me. I would not trust my eternal soul to the "Jesus" you propose. My study of Scripture does not allow for the possibility of Jesus not being God, incarnate. That poses a number of problems for those who seek to define Jesus based on human perspective. Only a divine revelation can "open the eyes of the blind" to who Jesus was, and is, and always will be.

The idea that the dual natures of Jesus of Nazareth can be reconciled outside of Scripture is, to my mind, impossible. Can anyone truly comprehend how He could be 100% God and 100% man? Does anyone grasp what spirit really is, especially divine spirit? It appears that yours is an attempt to humanize the very God of all creation. It appears that your focus on God (the Father) and Jesus (the Son) is that they are very distinct and separate entities, yet Scripture repeatedly states the position that Father and Son are one, have been from eternity past.

Did God choose to be incarnated in the person of Jesus, for the purpose of redeeming His lost ones that will believe in the Son? If not, then what was His intent?

Did God, in His desire to understand and change the minds and hearts of men, of His own willful action, limit His incarnate expression? Scripture tells me that He set aside the glories of heaven, so that He would be accepted, first, as a man, and in time, as the Messiah, the perfect sacrifice for our redemption.

Friend, if this doesn't resonate with your understanding of Scripture, then you and Scripture are far apart.