Done on the corn debate

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I really can’t tell them apart with them mask they wear. Just saying.

red neck richie

Cletus was hunting on a hammock on my property line and shot my deer. he put corn out and pulled the deer off of my bait plot. That was my deer. I saw a scrape so I scouted him. I am an elite hunter.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
When u rode in that morning on your 4 wheeler he came running to me. If it means anything to you. That’s a good trail I’m hunting on the property line.

I have to admit I LOL'd at that one

across the river

I didn’t say all hunters think it’s unsportsmanlike. I said hunters that are against it do. That’s not my opinion, it’s the opinion of all those who are against it. Maybe a few of them are against it because of disease spread but I’m talking about most here. I also said the non hunting public thinks that way too because it has been surveyed and it’s common knowledge that non hunters overwhelmingly are opposed to baiting.
Yes we (most) self restrict the way we hunt to make it a challenge. But when a law allows hunters an easier way to kill deer, (most) hunters are going to do it, and the goal posts will be widened. Each time the goal posts are widened we loose some of the sport.

Even a kicker that drills the ball through the center every time will eventually start to get sloppy and will not see the need in developing skill since it is no longer a challenge to him. This is of coarse an analogy but it fits well. How many golfers would go to a coarse if the rules were you just had to get the ball withinh 10 ft of the hole. Not many but some would and they would think they are really good at golfing.
I’m not supporting revoking any law on the books now, I’m simply describing why so many northern Ga deer hunters are against the new change. It seems hard for some to understand so it must be explained.
There are multiple valid reasons why hunters are for or against changing the law to allow hunting over bait. But most who are for it are for it because it is easier. Most who are against it are against it because it is easier.

I understand your reasoning, but again you haven't provided an argument other than some people don't like it. As far as golf and field goal kicking go, over the years people continue to take every opportunity they can in all sports to make things easier for them and make themselves more successful, so that argument doesn't hold water. If that wasn't true people would still be kicking footballs straight toed instead of soccer style playing gold with perssimon woods. If you think the clubs and gold balls Bubba Watson plays with are like the ones the Golden Bear played with years ago, you don't know much about golf.

Possum

Banned
I understand your reasoning, but again you haven't provided an argument other than some people don't like it. As far as golf and field goal kicking go, over the years people continue to take every opportunity they can in all sports to make things easier for them and make themselves more successful, so that argument doesn't hold water. If that wasn't true people would still be kicking footballs straight toed instead of soccer style playing gold with perssimon woods. If you think the clubs and gold balls Bubba Watson plays with are like the ones the Golden Bear played with years ago, you don't know much about golf.

I’m not here to make an argument for or against. That’s what you don’t seem to understand. I’m telling you and others who don’t understand the reason why so many are against the law change. It’s because it changes tradition and makes seeing deer easier. That is not an opinion that’s just how it is.
Yes athletes take every advantage they can but athletes don’t make the rules of how the game is played.
We rely on the state to set rules for hunting and rules are set mostly on science but they are also set on fair chase and ethics. So if half the norther zone hunters are against it based on their opinion of fair chase and half of northern zone hunters don’t care the state should base the decision solely on science. That’s another debate on another thread.

Possum

Banned
Who says it's half and half?!? Sounds more like 70%-80% is for it!

Going off memory but I think a GON magazine poll was close to 60/40. That was statewide though. Not sure if they just polled northern hunters

leejohn

A few feed and feeder companies QDMA claims as sponsors and partners

Attachments

• D9B4ED7E-1735-4FDA-81B6-8F3E952300D6.png
    D9B4ED7E-1735-4FDA-81B6-8F3E952300D6.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 8A532594-A92E-48CC-B0A9-98D2BD9C764E.png
    8A532594-A92E-48CC-B0A9-98D2BD9C764E.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 8848929B-3970-43B9-A9BE-39DCC1A8F27D.png
    8848929B-3970-43B9-A9BE-39DCC1A8F27D.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 4

Possum

Banned
A few feed and feeder companies QDMA claims as sponsors and partners

Geez I don’t think they are going to cut ties with a company just because that company makes feed. Biological makes food plot seed, moultrie makes trail cams and Jurassic rock apparently is apparently a mineral similar to trophy rock. Who cares, I don’t even like the QDMA organization but I wouldn’t expect them to boycott a company simply because they do not recommend supplemental deer feeding.

leejohn

Nobody said they should boycott them but it’s hypocritical to on one hand say feeding deer will cause diseases but then on the other hand accept sponsorship $$ from a feeder company or a rock that concentrates deer to lick it. Kinda like a gun control organization being sponsored by Remington.

Possum

Banned
Nobody said they should boycott them but it’s hypocritical to on one hand say feeding deer will cause diseases but then on the other hand accept sponsorship $$ from a feeder company or a rock that concentrates deer to lick it. Kinda like a gun control organization being sponsored by Remington.

They are hypocrites then. I don’t care I was just correcting someone earlier that said QDMA tells people to supplement deer feed. Now here I sit defending an organization I don’t even like.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Many moons ago a man told his son !
Mmmmm knothead (sons name )
Me not like Whitman. Got boom stick. Shoot game from horse. Shoot more game than need with thunder weapon. Many time further than my bow !
Hunting game as we know it over.
They bring disease with them. Many of us die !
Many moons from now they will hunt over foodplots & feeders.
We will be gone !

Tru tell told by wisemen name Mac Knee and Neck Richred. Me ride wulf towas yat tpee to offer goldish pebbles for wildhorn.
We ride past many saltyrock to trade in piece.
Shot by doelung

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
They are hypocrites then. I don’t care I was just correcting someone earlier that said QDMA tells people to supplement deer feed. Now here I sit defending an organization I don’t even like.
I got a silly idea
Why don’t u just hunt the way u like. Teach others around u that want to that way.
Don’t worry about the QDMA or NBA or CNN or any of the money groups that want a dollar to say your with them.
Enjoy hunting !!
Please don’t worry about me and my ethics. Or any other law abiding hunter.

When u kill that buck your way stand proud and tell us the story with pics on here & I’ll congrats you. I promise !!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Some folks enjoy doing plots with a 4 wheeler.
Redneck enjoys spreading gold with his.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
So if half the norther zone hunters are against it based on their opinion of fair chase and half of northern zone hunters don’t care the state should base the decision solely on science. That’s another debate on another thread.

What is there to debate? If half the hunters want it and the other half don't?

That's a REAL SIMPLE ONE!! If you don't want to run feeders on your property, DON'T! If you are in a club that runs them and you don't like it, change clubs. What is so hard for some folks to realize? People can run their flappers all they want about "fair chase" or "ethics".. They can go pound sand. They don't pay my bills or control the land I'm on. They don't provide for my family or for me. If I want to run feeders on my land, what business is it of theirs? The deer are property of the state but I manage what is on my land, they don't.

I don't care what QDMA or any organization says. Everyone has an opinion and that opinion influences decisions they make regardless of facts.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
What is there to debate? If half the hunters want it and the other half don't?

That's a REAL SIMPLE ONE!! If you don't want to run feeders on your property, DON'T! If you are in a club that runs them and you don't like it, change clubs. What is so hard for some folks to realize? People can run their flappers all they want about "fair chase" or "ethics".. They can go pound sand. They don't pay my bills or control the land I'm on. They don't provide for my family or for me. If I want to run feeders on my land, what business is it of theirs? The deer are property of the state but I manage what is on my land, they don't.

I don't care what QDMA or any organization says. Everyone has an opinion and that opinion influences decisions they make regardless of facts.
One must also consider, despite it's original intents, QDMA, just like DU, TU and other such groups are ultimately in it to pay the staff and make a profit if possible. They push policy in government via lobbying efforts and convolute an otherwise simple process. For all the good they do, there is an equal level of complication brought to the process of conservation by their hands.

The #1 step that needs to be taken is to get the Federal Government out of the process of each State managing it's forest and game. I've never seen any federal program, regardless of how qualified, holy or insanely intelligent it's biologists, scientist etc. think they are that doesn't cost more than it recovers or protects and in the end brings more catastrophic degradation of resources than it originally sought to protect / preserve.

#2 - Let each state manage 100% of the land within it's borders, even National forest, the way it sees fit, even if that means no management at all and letting nature do what nature does best.

#3 - Stop letting the feds and states tell people what they can and can't do own their own private land in regards to management of it's resources. If they are stupid enough to implement practices that have the potential for harming the existing natural resources around them that are on public lands then deal with that, but stop micro-managing every aspect of a landowners property right down to the very rain drop that falls on it.

one hogman

Done got worn out on these threads. Don't believe its possible to have anyone take an honest look at their position. Folks just hard-headed and stubborn on both sides of the issue. So here are my last thoughts from a guy that lives in South Georgia.

At one time when this was the original Woodys board we had these "feeding debates". Having a mostly Libertarian outlook at things, I sided with the legalizing of feeding. I didn't personally care to hunt over pile of corn. Yet, I couldn't reconcile the difference of the 200 yd rule and or hunting in food plots, and or or using scent devices and or hunting a persimmon or oak tree. SOUND FAMILIAR PRO BAITERS.

However, there was a guy on the forum that was more actively involved in those days. His name was John Bowers, an Auburn alum. Being from Alabama originally and a roll-Tider, I guess I should have never listened to the guy. Yet I was open-minded enough to hear his arguments against feeding. I also took the time to read some books that he recommended....Meditations on Hunting Jose Ortega Gasset and Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leupold.

After studying the issue I realized that I didn't know everything I thought I did. Yes, some elitist writers and an elitist Auburn biologist influenced my thinking. I started to look around and question my thinking on hunting ethics in regards to fair chase. So, I changed positions.

I think it has been a mistake for the Anti-baiting crowd to argue that CWD is the main reason not to allow lawfully hunting over bait. I can understand why the Pro-baiters would feel this is a mute point when supplemental feeding is already allowed past two hundred yds. The hunting ethics argument should have been the lynchpin for the Anti folks.

Since Baiting deer became legal in South Ga. I have personally seen the increase in the hog population. I've seen that folks become over reliant on feed as their main tool to 'hunt'. I have seen deer become more nocturnal as well as change their movement patterns

Anyway I'm done with these threads. Congrats to the Pro-feeding crowd. I think it will be a reality throughout the whole state real soon.

Two points I wanna Add, More and more Deer Feeders are being designed to keep hogs and other species out AND Hogs like to tear up food plots too!!