Done on the corn debate

dm/wolfskin

Done got worn out on these threads. Don't believe its possible to have anyone take an honest look at their position. Folks just hard-headed and stubborn on both sides of the issue. So here are my last thoughts from a guy that lives in South Georgia.

At one time when this was the original Woodys board we had these "feeding debates". Having a mostly Libertarian outlook at things, I sided with the legalizing of feeding. I didn't personally care to hunt over pile of corn. Yet, I couldn't reconcile the difference of the 200 yd rule and or hunting in food plots, and or or using scent devices and or hunting a persimmon or oak tree. SOUND FAMILIAR PRO BAITERS.

However, there was a guy on the forum that was more actively involved in those days. His name was John Bowers, an Auburn alum. Being from Alabama originally and a roll-Tider, I guess I should have never listened to the guy. Yet I was open-minded enough to hear his arguments against feeding. I also took the time to read some books that he recommended....Meditations on Hunting Jose Ortega Gasset and Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leupold.

After studying the issue I realized that I didn't know everything I thought I did. Yes, some elitist writers and an elitist Auburn biologist influenced my thinking. I started to look around and question my thinking on hunting ethics in regards to fair chase. So, I changed positions.

I think it has been a mistake for the Anti-baiting crowd to argue that CWD is the main reason not to allow lawfully hunting over bait. I can understand why the Pro-baiters would feel this is a mute point when supplemental feeding is already allowed past two hundred yds. The hunting ethics argument should have been the lynchpin for the Anti folks.

Since Baiting deer became legal in South Ga. I have personally seen the increase in the hog population. I've seen that folks become over reliant on feed as their main tool to 'hunt'. I have seen deer become more nocturnal as well as change their movement patterns

Anyway I'm done with these threads. Congrats to the Pro-feeding crowd. I think it will be a reality throughout the whole state real soon.
I think John works for the Ga. DNR.

Well there goes "Fair Chase." I'm not taking the moral high ground here but, just my opinion, those who prefer hunting over bait are simply lazy killers.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member