People who don't eat what they Kill

LureheadEd

Yall quit slammin' each other....We all have our own ideas about right and wrong....Back to the OP's question, what to do....I quit going to the club I was in for almost 30 years .... Blamed it on medical issues, but it was way more than that....There's a couple that wouldn't eat venison, and just seemed to never be able to find a deer after they shot...Funny how after the season, there'd be a "found" skull hanging on their place....

And to really throw some gas on this one, since I don't have the opportunity to hunt anymore, because of those before mentioned health issues, if anybody in the Lawrenceville/Winder/Snellville area gets one they want to donate, I sure could use one...Rather cut it up myself.....

Mexican Squealer

The reason we had to restock them was uncontrolled slaughter from market hunting for two centuries. Deer hides were one of the biggest exports from the colonies for a long time. If they aren't overhunted and have somewhere to live, they will take care of themselves just fine. They lived for hundreds of thousands of years here before there were people living here with them.

agreed.

swampstalker24

IMO if you have no intention of eating the game animals you hunt, you prolly shouldn't be hunting.

That being said, I cant understand for the life of me why some folks don't like deer meat. Maybe they don't know how to cook it correctly?? :huh:

Capt Quirk

The reason we had to restock them was uncontrolled slaughter from market hunting for two centuries. Deer hides were one of the biggest exports from the colonies for a long time. If they aren't overhunted and have somewhere to live, they will take care of themselves just fine. They lived for hundreds of thousands of years here before there were people living here with them.
There were plenty of buffalo too. It wasn't until the self indulgent white man showed up, that they almost went the way of the dodo bird. I see people taking what they are "allowed", and a few fawns too. I also know of one person who poached a deer, only for the backstrap. The rest got tossed. But, dead is dead, so it is ok, right?

I certainly don't see nearly as many deer out here, as there were a few years ago.

screw worms....

almost whipped out the whitetail deer.

Whitetail deer have been here for thousands of years and they will be here many more.

Game management is light years above what it was at the turn of the century.

Most people do not know that deer have parasites, a block of cattle wormer goes a long way, I know I can't keep the deer out of the feeder troughs. And they are butterball fat.

s&r

cumberland

I have no interest in deer hunting with anyone that doesn't want to eat the meat. That is part of the hunt.

Nerf Warrior

I dont eat a whole bunch of meat of any kind but I do manage to keep a couple of deer and a side of beef in the freezer. I love deer hunting but admit that I do more watching than shooting these days. I do however have a disabled gentleman that I have been providing 1-2 deer a year for a long time. Due to unexpected time constraints I gave away a 9pt last week to a gentleman that had just recently lost his job and was in a bad way. His family thoroughly enjoyed the meat and he was very appreciative. Again, I don't shoot many deer these days, and rarely, rarely will shoot a doe unless someone needs the meat. I own my land and I pay for my license so If I never ate any deer meat, it isn't being wasted and isn't being eaten just as a novelty. On the flip side, I don't agree with shooting just to shoot or leaving an animal laying which is what I think the OP was asking..

cramer

I won't eat a coyote, but anything else I shoot, I will eat or eat with others and have been known to share with family and friends.

LureheadEd

Donated venison....

Some of us can't hunt anymore due to personal issues...Some of us need to "thin the herd" so others can grow better......And your freezer is already full....I can't for the life of me understand why anybody has a problem with "donating deer " ...Thanks, you know who you are and I thank God there are people like you that are teaching your children what "hunting" and "sharing" is all about...

Attachments

• HPIM3099.jpg
    HPIM3099.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 233
  • HPIM3106.jpg
    HPIM3106.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 234

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Hard to figure. If I kill it, I eat it. Complete waste and disrespectful to the animal whose life you took. The only exceptions are predators ie coyotes, bobcats etc.

Mexican Squealer

Some of us can't hunt anymore due to personal issues...Some of us need to "thin the herd" so others can grow better......And your freezer is already full....I can't for the life of me understand why anybody has a problem with "donating deer " ...Thanks, you know who you are and I thank God there are people like you that are teaching your children what "hunting" and "sharing" is all about...

I teach my children to hunt and share...but I don't teach them that game animals are there for them to kill and donate. I teach them to donate on their own dime, time and resources.

Mark R

years ago I was on a check in quota hunt and the game warden noticed a guy giving away everything he killed . he told the man he was taking the opportunity from other hunters and sent him home . probably couldn't do that now days because it wouldn't be politically correct but I admired him for that .

swampstalker24

I don't see any problem with being generous and giving game meat to others who cant hunt. I don't think that is what this thread is about however. What I don't agree with is folks who hunt with zero intention of eating what they kill.

I have every intention to eat what I kill... Does that mean I don't give out some to friends here and there? No.

geebler

That's the beauty of living in the good ole' USA!! All those who desire can fervently oppose someone else's actions until they're blue in the face, as long as it's legal 'let em' whine'.

If the state felt it were 'immoral' to use "their resources" to donate deer they would do away with the donation centers.

lampern

The state has an interest in having lots of deer killed, hence hunters for the hungry and other donation centers.

So it gives some folks an incentive to shoot female deer ad reduce population.

IvyThicket

I teach my children to hunt and share...but I don't teach them that game animals are there for them to kill and donate. I teach them to donate on their own dime, time and resources.

I would have an issue if that is the sole reason that one hunted but donating/sharing over harvest is the morally correct and acceptable thing to do rather than let it waste. There are some great groups that hunters work with to donate meat in order to feed those who are less fortunate. Farmers and Hunters Feeding The Hungry is one such model organization.

https://www.fhfh.org

Hit-n-Miss

We eat almost exclusively deer and fish. We eat 3 deer a year and how ever many sea trout we can catch. We hunt for meat but hardly ever shoot does(just not that many in my area). We don’t trophy hunt but don’t bash the you should have let it grow crowd. To each his own 150” or a doe is a trophy to the shooter. When we shoot our 3 deer we are done unless getting one for our neighbor that loves deer but doesn’t hunt anymore. After that I invite friends looking to shoot meat for their families. If I shoot ducks dove or rabbits. I’ll eat by myself(wife and son not like them). If you have someone lined up to get the deer you shoot that’s great. But don’t shoot one and then try to give away.

shane256

Bingo. I don't care who does the eatin' so long as it's eaten. Many hunters kill more than they can consume so they give it away. I see no problem with that.

I know a bunch of folks who do that. If someone in the group has filled their freezer and someone else hasn't, they'll keep going until they either limit out or until everyone's freezer is full.