People who don't eat what they Kill

TexasRed45

I've got some buddies who don't eat what they shoot. It doesn't matter if its deer, duck, dove, moose, or elk. They rarely eat what they shoot and when they do, it's a huge deal. Don't get me wrong, a beef steak eats pretty good, but whatever I shoot, I eat. I just don't understand why you wouldn't. I am not trying to target anyone here, but I'm just wondering, what give? why not eat it? Do y'all know anyone like this? If so, how do you handle them?

Last edited:

Derek Snider

I really don’t care if they eat what they kill or not. What’s important is that the meat is eaten by someone and doesn’t go to waste. Lots of families are willing to pay for a processed deer and pick it up form the processor and enjoy the meat. Some states have a program allowing hunters to pay a small processing fee and the meat is then donated to families in need. This is a wonderful way to help families in need and share one of the many good attributes that come from hunting.

transfixer

I've never understood someone who wants to hunt/kill wildlife but has no intention of eating the game ? What's the point ? Do they just like killing things? I had two guys in my club years ago who killed their limit, ( and more ) every year, we discovered they gave/or sold their kills to co-workers and whoever would take them, and in some cases disposed of some they couldn't give away, we elected not to let them renew after finding all that out. I assume they just wanted to brag to their buddies about how many deer they got each year ?

godogs57

If I kill it, I will eat it. No need to take an animal's life if it is not to be consumed. My only exception to this rule of mine is when non-hunting friends ask me to do a "contract killing" for them and get them a doe. You'd be surprised at how many folks in my church who are not trigger pullers, but beg me for a fat, tender doe. Currently have three contract killings requested.

My belief is causing me major disagreements with my feelings on this as I'd love to take a bear, but have zero desire to eat it. I've eaten plenty of bear and it all tasted like crap to me.....cooked in all different ways.....it all tastes the same.

I never figured out friends who killed deer, elk, etc and leave everything with someone else and just take the antlers...see it a lot.

GeorgiaBob

My dentist doesn't eat all of what he kills! I am certain of that because I've got in my freezer 4 pounds of alligator tail from the 12' critter he shot (baited hook, bow) last summer in the marsh behind his house (yes, he had a tag!).

I don't care whether a hunter takes game and gifts or donates most of it, shares only a portion, or eats it all - just as long as the meat isn't wasted.

Big7

The Oracle
As long as it's LEGAL.

You can always give it to someone that wants the meat
and maybe can't hunt because of illness or age, etc..
Some folks need meat because they can't go to the store and buy
a side of beef because of $$$ problems.

I "gave" a few to Hunter's For the Hungry.
Sometimes because it was late afternoon or I just had enough in the freezer.

Harvest is part of management. High or low limits, doe days,
etc, have a purpose.

As long as "somebody" eats it, I have no problem with it.

Killing it and throwing it to the side of the road is a different story.
That SHOULD be and automatic revocation of future license and privilege
to "hunt".

sinclair1

I never really took up deer hunting, but my freezer is as full as I want it.
One buddy only likes one part of the deer at his age, so I give him some money for the balance. It works out good because he is a real hunter who processes the deer and pockets the money for the work.

specialk

horn hunters.....I know lots of people that catch fish but don't eat them too....

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I eat anything that I kill other than a Coyote. I kill them because they have killed several of my calves.

rutnbuk

As long as it does not go to waste and was taken legally- all is good with me. I enjoy venison and preparing what I kill...so it does kinda feel like you are missing a major perk to hunting when you don't do that. But I aint mad at a feller for not.

swampstalker24

I wouldnt hunt if i didnt enjoy eating wild game... Not really into killing just to kill. :huh:
IMO there is nothing like putting some hard earned game meat on the dinner table.

Capt Quirk

I never really took up deer hunting, but my freezer is as full as I want it.
One buddy only likes one part of the deer at his age, so I give him some money for the balance. It works out good because he is a real hunter who processes the deer and pockets the money for the work.

At least the animal isn't wasted. I find it shocking how many deer are killed just for the backstrap, then the carcass is just dumped wherever.

@Georgia Bob, I have a key lime dipping sauce that is great with deep fried gator tail ;)

DAVE

I have killed many living things without eating them and feel no remorse for doing so, dead is dead, eating it does not change the fact that you killed it.

billy336

Majority of the swine i kill are left to lay, we have a problem down here and just dont have the time or room to deal with all of em. Plus they're disgusting vermon, I'm talkin over a hundred a year. I give plenty of pork to our church's charities when they need the meat. Deer meat goes in the freezer. Killed a mule deer and antelope out west couple years back, gettin them home would of cost $600, paid for the processing and donated it to the Sioux school system.

tree cutter 08

If I kill it, I will eat it. No need to take an animal's life if it is not to be consumed. My only exception to this rule of mine is when non-hunting friends ask me to do a "contract killing" for them and get them a doe. You'd be surprised at how many folks in my church who are not trigger pullers, but beg me for a fat, tender doe. Currently have three contract killings requested.

My belief is causing me major disagreements with my feelings on this as I'd love to take a bear, but have zero desire to eat it. I've eaten plenty of bear and it all tasted like crap to me.....cooked in all different ways.....it all tastes the same.

I never figured out friends who killed deer, elk, etc and leave everything with someone else and just take the antlers...see it a lot.
If you ever get a chance to try it again, make sure it wasn't rode around and showed off for half a day. That will turn folks away in a hurry. Take the shoulder or back hams or any part for that matter, and season it up with rub to your liking. Throw it on a egg for a few hrs then wrap it like in a pan with little apple juice and cook to 200 or till falling of the bone. It will be the best wild game you ever eat!

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
As long as the meat isn’t wasted, it doesn’t bother me. I don’t understand it though..