Big red/orange wasps?

Back2class

What the heck are these things. They are bigger than the average wasp and kind of bright orange/red. Got stung by one today and now my arm is swelled up and hurts like heck.
Never saw these little devils untill I moved to GA.

fussyray

Welcome to Ga.

Attachments

• bbeast3-05.jpg
    bbeast3-05.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 139,176

Backlasher82

I'll take 10 red wasp stings before 1 white faced hornet sting!:hair:

As far as that goes, give me 2 red wasps before a yellow jacket.:D

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Order of hurt from things that fly and sting in Georgia......

1)Japanese Hornet
2)Hornet
3)Red Wasp
4)Black Wasp
5)Yellow Jacket (usually multiples)
6)Honey Bee
7)Sand Fly
8)Horse Fly
9) Skeeter

Robert

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Got a white faced hornet sting in the eye and eyelid when I was a kid. Other than location, I say this thing is worse.:hair:

B2C,

I hate to disagree but that Hornet must have only landed a glancing blow. I can take a red wasp and hold it and let it sting me without flinching.......The last Hornet that got me made me scream like a girl.......I was dating my wife at the time and she still brings that one up every now and then.......My hand swelled to the size of a cantaloupe
:mad:

ccbiggz

When I was a kid I shot a red wasp nest under a bridge with a BB gun from probably 100' away. I swear those things met the BB halfway and proceeded to sting the mess out of me.

Anybody ever been stung by a cow killer ant? They call them an ant but its actually a wasp without wings. I've heard they are extremely painful. They look menacing.

ccbiggz

When I was a kid I shot a red wasp nest under a bridge with a BB gun from probably 100' away. I swear those things met the BB halfway and proceeded to sting the mess out of me.

Anybody ever been stung by a cow killer ant? They call them an ant but its actually a wasp without wings. I've heard they are extremely painful. They look menacing.

Gav-n-Tn

What the heck are these things. They are bigger than the average wasp and kind of bright orange/red. Got stung by one today and now my arm is swelled up and hurts like heck.
Never saw these little devils untill I moved to GA.

In the South that's called a red warsper.

dpoole

bumblee bees you left them out I aint talking about carpenter bees either.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ya`ll left out guinea wasps, but they ain`t too bad. Hornets hurt the most to me with bumblebees and cowkillers a close second.

Capt Quirk

We have the Cow Killers down here, never heard they were wasps before though. Also have Carpenter Ants, got a nasty bite in the front to hold on to you while they sting you from the rear. What about scorpions and centipedes?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Ya`ll left out guinea wasps, but they ain`t too bad. Hornets hurt the most to me with bumblebees and cowkillers a close second.

Don't know there Nic. I got stung by a guinea wasp right before we went on our cruise. It got me on top of the foot right on a vein and I tried everything, chewin baccy, hydrocortizone, etc etc and nothing would take the fire out. Then it felt just like my foot was broke for the next four days before it let up.

Mean little devils I tell ya'.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Order of hurt from things that fly and sting in Georgia......

1)Japanese Hornet
2)Hornet
3)Red Wasp
4)Black Wasp
5)Yellow Jacket (usually multiples)
6)Honey Bee
7)Sand Fly
8)Horse Fly
9) Skeeter

Robert

Bruz,

I don't think there are any Japanese hornets (Vespa mandarina) in the U.S.....at least I hope not. Those things are 2" of pure evil. I think you may be thinking of the European hornet (V. crabro)....it a big brown/yellow hornet that is pretty common, especially in North Georgia. They aren't nearly as aggressive nor the sting as dangerous as a Japanese hornet, in fact probably not as dangerous as our native Bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) which really isn't a hornet at all, but more closely related to Yellow Jackets.

Smokey

Don't know there Nic. I got stung by a guinea wasp right before we went on our cruise. It got me on top of the foot right on a vein and I tried everything, chewin baccy, hydrocortizone, etc etc and nothing would take the fire out. Then it felt just like my foot was broke for the next four days before it let up.

Mean little devils I tell ya'.

Boy-howdy did that ever bring back some memories. Whenever I got stung (which was a lot:crazy:) my great-grandmaw would dig in her mouth and pull out a big ole gooey glob of snuff and slather all over the sting site.

Also leaving out "deer flies." That's what I've always heard them called. They're only in the woods. Biting deer flies. They buzz around your head and follow you down the trail. They love to be swatted at. Big game to them. They will follow you until you either kill them or outrun them. Actually bite you to get at your blood.

So they're not really in the sting category, but they are in the "flying insect that will hurt you" category.

Honey and other pollenator bees may stay. All others must die
t5.gif

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Next time ya'll get stung, get you a dab a gasoline on your finger and put it on the sting. You'll never use spit or meat tenderizer again.

Bodab1974

If I am not mistaken aren't those also called Mahogany Wasps? I know they are called red wasps and I KNOW they hurt like crap when they sting you