1911 45ACP to 9MM and what feels great

jfish

After reading some post about 1911's I bought one year or so ago never owning one. Love the history behind them and owning one. Never got along with it from the beginning. Sold, swap, changed, and modified several over a year and just basically got tired of them. They are a beautiful gun don't get me wrong. However, they are no different that any other opinionated suggestion anyone has. One doesn't fit all. I still have two just to say I own them. However they are not my go to weapon.

I recently bought a Sig P320 carry version. Nice gun but still feels kinda weird. Heavy also. However I am still going to buy one in 45acp when someone can get me one. I shoot a lot and the 1911's I always felt like I had to readjust to hit once I pulled it from holster before shooting. Glocks, Sigs, HK's and other type weapons (plastic so to speak) seemed to fit me better. So each to his own all of them are really good guns. Some better than others but one will fit one person better than another.

Yesterday shot a Sig P320 about 40 rounds at 15yrds. Shooting 6" steel plates. Shot probably 80% for first time ever shooting the gun. Somewhat rapid fire not much delay between follow-ups. Had I concentrated on that would be much higher ration. Anyway the gun is great. Cleaned up put things away truck was 30yds away from targets. Picked up VP9 out of the seat shot 15 rounds and never missed rapid fire so to speak at 6" targets. I have a few VP's. For me they seem to fit. I have shot one of them at 100yrds just to see wrist rest of course and put 10 out of 15 in pie plate. First five were figuring out where bullets were going.

My point is and I am included I have tried numerous guns based on others opinions and yet most of the time I should stick to what I know will work for me. Nothing what so ever wrong with a 1911 but for me they do not fit. Can I hit you? You bet. Where I want.. not so sure. Gimme a plastic gun and odds go way up and quickly. Basically shooting is confidence and feel no matter what you have at hand.

bullgator

Nothing wrong with to each his own.
Have you ever shot a Browning Hi Power or CZ 75?

Poor Poor Fisherman

Springfield 1911 9mm Range Officer

jfish,

I am no expert, that is for sure. But I know what works for me. I'm 73 and have shot a lot of pistols over the years, owned a few, sold a few and still have a few. Mainly: 45 ACP, 38 Special, 357 Mag and 9MM -- S & W, Glock, Springfield, Colt, etc. I found there was both good and bad things with all of them. But, I absolutely love the classic 1911 design! However I finally gave up on the 45 ACP due of the cost of ammo and also because after maybe 30 or so rounds, my patterns go down hill fast.

A few months ago, I bought a Springfield 1911 9mm Range Officer and it just seems to work perfect for me. It's the best of all worlds. I have never shot better or more consistently. It's not my carry gun but it's definitely my favorite range gun.

Two cents worth from a guy who loves to shoot!

Last edited:

transfixer

We're all different with different likes and dislikes, that's why there are so many different pistols out there to choose from, some pistols I think are ugly and ridiculous are favorites of some people. Sig Sauer makes a fine pistol, I've owned a couple of 229's in the past, but to me the barrel sits up too high above my grip, I like pistols where the barrel is closer to the web of my hand, they just point better, I've owned a couple 1911's and love the way they point and shoot, I currently don't have one because I've never been a fan of the 45acp, and most 1911's are extremely heavy compared to most other carry guns, probably my favorite to carry and shoot was a Browning Hi-power in 9mm, points perfectly, fits my hand perfectly, shoots great. I no longer have that gun, but will find another in the future. I've never been a fan of the grip angle of a Glock, but have owned quite a few, and still own two of them, the Gen4's with no backstraps are better than previous Generations, but still require a different hold, my Springfield XDM points beautifully and shoots like a dream.

jfish

Thanks for the replys. I agree some guns are ugly as heck. I enjoy shooting also but I wanna hit what I want when I want! It's a challenge to me personally if that makes sense.

Again thanks for the replys. Just stating what my experiences has been and what I am going to rely on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To each their own, and everybody is different. I am the exact opposite of you, almost. I love my Glock and carry it every day. I am fairly accurate with it, but I am much more accurate shooting a 1911 than any other type of pistol. It points where I'm looking, and the extra barrel length makes a lot of difference, too.

Dub

I agree with your post that folks should use what is effective for them.

I've been going through this recently with my wife. She's shown an interest in shooting and wants to carry as well.

Most folks advise to "give 'em a 4"-6" .357 revolver and train them with .38's". I suppose there is no wrong in doing that, however, she doesn't care for the wheelgun trigger and wanted to use semi autos. I didn't even bother showing her DA/SA type guns due to the dislike of revolver trigger function.

She's shown a preference for Glocks.....9mm Glocks...specifically the 19 for home use and the 43 to carry. The Gen4 version with the various sized backstraps are her favorites.

Since I also have some 1911's around, I figured I'd better get her accustomed to that format as well. I'll soon be adding a 9mm 1911 that should be a smooth shooting version for her to use at the range.

It's been a slow process and one that I've wanted to build on with her during range sessions.

Point being......I didn't want to force anything on her, but to let her develop her own preference. She like the simplicity of Glocks, natural pointability, ease of adding lights, simple reloads, etc, etc.

For me....a G19 is my most often carried gun closely followed by a 1911. I shoot both to similar levels when using sights....when doing more instinctive shooting, though, the G19 currently seems to edge out everything else....slightly better than my 1911's.....and a great deal better than wheel guns.

For some folks it's a process....for other folks I suppose they just "know". For all, though, I hope they take the time to understand the safety aspects and develop a proficiency with their choices and don't just buy it and toss it into a nightstand lockbox...but actually get some ongoing range time with it.

Shooting can be fun.....and humbling, too. We'll find out things about ourselves....like I did last year....found out my vision had degraded some since last session. Those targets get a bit blurry at 20-25 yards, lol. Blew out a disc late January and had it replaced last week....my hand strength since the injury has been weak...to the point where racking a slide on a tight 1911 was too much....range sessions were telling. Wheelguns once again became more easy to use for the short term. Improvements seem to be coming since the surgery. I'll be back on my G19 & on to 1911's soon I hope. It's a process.......:D