2011 Pre-Season Outlook

LanierSpots

The 2011 College football season is almost here guys. In just 5 short weeks, it will be Saturday once again. :banana:

Looking into the 2011 Season for your team, what do you see? What new or returning players are you really looking forward to seeing?

For us, its a brand new year and a brand new team. 2010 is gone and so is most of our guys who contributed to the 2010 BCS National Championship. It was a unreal year to be a Auburn Tiger fan but it is gone. :cry: Time to start all over.

We have basically lost a lot. Our 4 year Senior offensive line, our best receivers, Our 4 year field goal kicker who was money when the game was on the line and Oh yea, Cam Newton, who was a pretty good college football player. And that is just on offense.

On defense, we lost Nick Fairley who was basically un-blockable at times, Antoine Carter who made some incredible plays for us, Josh Bynes who ran the defense, Zac Ethridge who came back from a broke neck to play corner for us last year, Stevens, Clayton, Washington, the list is too long to believe.

Having the least amount of starting players returning in Div 1 football (6), it will certainly be a trying year. Some are predicting us to only win 4 games but I believe that is a little ridiculous with the amount of talent we have and such a good coaching staff. I see us winning 7 and possibly 8 games this year and going to a mid pack bowl game.

We have had three straight years of top 10 recruiting classes and the #1 class last year according to Scout and top 5 in ESPN and Rivals. We have plenty of talent but we are still short on scholarship players so depth could be an issue again as it was in 2009. I see a year similar to 2009 this year.

These are some of the players that I really look forward to seeing this season.

Ladarious Phillips - Ladarious will wear #37 this season. He redshirted last year and is a huge running back. Word is that he is 293 pound right now and runs a mid 4's 40. It has also been told that he can do a standing backflip and land on his feet. He is 6-0 and looks like will be used in Eric Smith's place at H back. If he is as good as advertised, he could make some good holes for our backs to run through as well as carry the ball on short yardage needs.

Trovon Reed - Trovon was the #1 player coming out of Louisiana last year and picked Auburn over LSU. He redshirted as a freshman and was said to be a terror in practice. He is a speed receiver/Hback kid and will probably be in the wide out position. The reports from practice is that once he gets in the open, he is gone. Hope he can hold up the the SEC beating as he is not a big kid.

Craig Sanders - Craig was a 5* defensive end who originally committed to Alabama then switched to Auburn in the last week of recruiting in 2009. Craig was 604 and around 225. Now the word is Craig has grown to 275 pounds and is a absolute workout freak. I have a friend who goes to Auburn and said he sees Craig around campus and that he is absolutely HUGE. He played on special teams mostly last year and was a beast. I cant wait to see how he does at end and will probably line up inside on running downs.

Nosa Equae - Nosa will start at DE and could be a beast. He played well last year and made some very good plays. Nosa is also a scholar student and will more than likely be the leader on our new rebuilt defense this year. I look for him to cause havoc on oposing QB's this fall.

Angelo Blackson - Angelo was a Juco pick up this year and what little I know about him, I read on the summer practice reports. Some of our guys said that Angelo is un-blockable at times. Nosa was comparing him to Nick and said his story is very similar. We will see if he can live up to those expectations.

Sammie Coates - Sammie will be a freshman wide out but from what I hear, he is burning up summer practices. Lots of speed and very good hands. With only one true starter returning at wide out for us (Emory Blake), Sammie could be a starter along with Trovon Reed.

Quan Bray - Quan is the 2010 commit who is known for his Warrr Eguall babeeeee after he committed to Auburn at the Under Armor game. He is also the kid whose mother was murdered a few months back in LaGrange Ga. Word is that his dad was the trigger man. He has been doing very well in practice this summer and I just cant help but to pull for this kid.

Tre Mason - Tre will be a true freshman running back and will more than likely get some carries along with Dyer. Tre was a high 4 * recruit and was looked as one of the best running backs last year. The kid has really worked on his fitness and looks to be another on of Auburns great backs. The picture below is of him and it looks like he has been working out well this summer.

x2_750b797

JUSTIN37HUNT

Good write up Spots...I'd add one more to your list and that's Lemonier. I look for him and Eguae to be in the backfield regularly.

gin house

I look forward to seeing mainly the defense. Kelcy Quarles, Byron Jeridoux, fordham and roberson are gonna be a nasty D line and kind of want to see that Clowney kid too. lol Garcia has supposedly got it together but we'll have to see that to believe it, say hes in great shape and working hard. Our offense should be even better this year with a better O line with depth, Lattimore has put on some more muscle and the WR's we have in Alshon, scruggs look good, also, smith looked great in the spring game and Alshons little brother should be a good one in a year or two. I like this team all the way around, I just hope our secondary is better......much better. We got a new special teams coach who knows his stuff, Im really excited to see how we come along in that area. This team has me excited and i cant wait till sept 3rd......... Its almost the best time of the year again boys!! GO GAMECOCKS!!!!

LanierSpots

I look forward to seeing mainly the defense. Kelcy Quarles, Byron Jeridoux, fordham and roberson are gonna be a nasty D line and kind of want to see that Clowney kid too. lol Garcia has supposedly got it together but we'll have to see that to believe it, say hes in great shape and working hard. Our offense should be even better this year with a better O line with depth, Lattimore has put on some more muscle and the WR's we have in Alshon, scruggs look good, also, smith looked great in the spring game and Alshons little brother should be a good one in a year or two. I like this team all the way around, I just hope our secondary is better......much better. We got a new special teams coach who knows his stuff, Im really excited to see how we come along in that area. This team has me excited and i cant wait till sept 3rd......... Its almost the best time of the year again boys!! GO GAMECOCKS!!!!

Of all the new players not on Auburn, Clowney is the one I am anxious to see play. I think that kid will be a game changer

Sugar HillDawg

Hold on ginhouse, I read where the O-line lost three players. Is that true and if it is how is that unit gonna be better? Is that Sackerlina Delusion Syndrome coming back again??

weagle

Good write up Spots. Gets me even more fired up about this season.

I feel confident the talent we have this year is way ahead of what we had 2 years ago and Coach Chizik and staff did wonders with that team. I think what this coaching staff has done is nothing short of amazing, and I see no reason to believe they will fall asleep at the wheel this year.

This year is going to be tough but I'm not counting us out of anything until someone takes it from us on the field. If there is one thing I have been most proud of from the Chizik teams it is that they absolutely refuse to quit.

WDE

Weagle

LanierSpots

Good write up Spots. Gets me even more fired up about this season.

I feel confident the talent we have this year is way ahead of what we had 2 years ago and Coach Chizik and staff did wonders with that team. I think what this coaching staff has done is nothing short of amazing, and I see no reason to believe they will fall asleep at the wheel this year.

This year is going to be tough but I'm not counting us out of anything until someone takes it from us on the field. If there is one thing I have been most proud of from the Chizik teams it is that they absolutely refuse to quit.

WDE

Weagle

I believe our team will be better than 09 by a good bit. But our schedule will be harder and our conference is much stronger. Thus it could be a similar ending.

But we will see..

I also heard that Anthony Swain was cleared last week so everyone but Tre Mason has qualified and they are expecting the word on him today or tomorrow. That would be all of Chizik's recruits being qualified. Would be great.

DouglasB.

Well..... I expect a lot.... but not as much as others.

As a Bama fan, I am very very humble. I told Bama fans last year to remain humble, and yet they were constantly screaming "number 14!!!" until South Carolina. Now they are screaming Number 14 again, and here we are with quite a few question marks.

The biggest thing in my opinion is the loss of Greg McElroy in the QB slot. People fail to realize this guys abilities. His stats alone trump most QB's that have been in the draft over the last 5 years. When people saw him, they saw the smart kid.... not the QB. He wasn't a show stopper... but his passing percentage was 66%. That's just down right awesome.

I'm concerned about the QB position, but I have faith in Saban to make the right call and get us in the show.

Richardson, Donte Hightower, and Mark Barron. That says a lot right there.

Next we have the number 1 kicker in the country coming on board (Adam Griffith) and some SERIOUS 4 star recruits. (Eddie Williams and Reggie Ragland).

I'm going to remain humble.... but I see big things this year. 9 returning starters on Defense.... defense wins games afterall.

RipperIII

Douglas, I agree with your assessment of McElroy and his value, he will be missed.
But Julio will be the biggest hole to fill,....actually can't do it.
Saban said that Julio was the best player and the best person he has ever coached, great example, tough, unselfish, and a team leader plus game breaking ability.

irishleprechaun

Hold on ginhouse, I read where the O-line lost three players. Is that true and if it is how is that unit gonna be better? Is that Sackerlina Delusion Syndrome coming back again??

We were to loseTerrence Campbell, Jarrel King and Garret Chisholm. Only one of these guys started all season and that was Chisholm (OG). Campbell got a medical so we really only lost 2. We platooned a lot of OL guys last year as coach Elliot was looking for the right combination. Here are our returns...

Kyle Nunn | 6-6, 295, Sr., 3V
Rokevious Watkins | 6-4, 340, Sr., 1V
Kenny Davis | 6-3, 318, Jr., 1V
Ronald Patrick | 6-1, 302, So., SQ

Terrence Campbell | 6-3, 296, Sr., 2V
Kaleb Broome | 6-6, 326, Jr., JC
T.J. Johnson | 6-5, 316, Jr., 2V
Travis Ford | 6-3, 278, So., SQ
Ryan Broadhead | 6-4, 280, Sr., SQ

Cody Gibson | 6-6, 284, Fr., RS

A.J. Cann | 6-3, 299, Fr., RS

Cann and Broome were highly touted recruits. Cann redshirted and Broome had to go Juco and is expected to be an immediate contributor...6-6, 326, that is a load.

golffreak

Lanier, that is a very detailed preview of AU. Good job...

308-MIKE

is it just me, or does anyone else think it's funny that lanierspots has an auburn nc money clip holding on to a bunch of benjamins for his avatar??? seeing as there is an "active investigation" still going on. :bounce:

Les Miles

Banned
is it just me, or does anyone else think it's funny that lanierspots has an auburn nc money clip holding on to a bunch of benjamins for his avatar??? seeing as there is an "active investigation" still going on. :bounce:

You don't miss much do ya? ::ke:

Maybe you should go work for the FBI and help find DB Cooper and Jimmy Hoffa. :bounce:

yellowduckdog

The 2011 College football season is almost here guys. In just 5 short weeks, it will be Saturday once again. :banana:

Looking into the 2011 Season for your team, what do you see? What new or returning players are you really looking forward to seeing?

For us, its a brand new year and a brand new team. 2010 is gone and so is most of our guys who contributed to the 2010 BCS National Championship. It was a unreal year to be a Auburn Tiger fan but it is gone. :cry: Time to start all over.

We have basically lost a lot. Our 4 year Senior offensive line, our best receivers, Our 4 year field goal kicker who was money when the game was on the line and Oh yea, Cam Newton, who was a pretty good college football player. And that is just on offense.

On defense, we lost Nick Fairley who was basically un-blockable at times, Antoine Carter who made some incredible plays for us, Josh Bynes who ran the defense, Zac Ethridge who came back from a broke neck to play corner for us last year, Stevens, Clayton, Washington, the list is too long to believe.

Having the least amount of starting players returning in Div 1 football (6), it will certainly be a trying year. Some are predicting us to only win 4 games but I believe that is a little ridiculous with the amount of talent we have and such a good coaching staff. I see us winning 7 and possibly 8 games this year and going to a mid pack bowl game.

We have had three straight years of top 10 recruiting classes and the #1 class last year according to Scout and top 5 in ESPN and Rivals. We have plenty of talent but we are still short on scholarship players so depth could be an issue again as it was in 2009. I see a year similar to 2009 this year.

These are some of the players that I really look forward to seeing this season.

Ladarious Phillips - Ladarious will wear #37 this season. He redshirted last year and is a huge running back. Word is that he is 293 pound right now and runs a mid 4's 40. It has also been told that he can do a standing backflip and land on his feet. He is 6-0 and looks like will be used in Eric Smith's place at H back. If he is as good as advertised, he could make some good holes for our backs to run through as well as carry the ball on short yardage needs.

Trovon Reed - Trovon was the #1 player coming out of Louisiana last year and picked Auburn over LSU. He redshirted as a freshman and was said to be a terror in practice. He is a speed receiver/Hback kid and will probably be in the wide out position. The reports from practice is that once he gets in the open, he is gone. Hope he can hold up the the SEC beating as he is not a big kid.

Craig Sanders - Craig was a 5* defensive end who originally committed to Alabama then switched to Auburn in the last week of recruiting in 2009. Craig was 604 and around 225. Now the word is Craig has grown to 275 pounds and is a absolute workout freak. I have a friend who goes to Auburn and said he sees Craig around campus and that he is absolutely HUGE. He played on special teams mostly last year and was a beast. I cant wait to see how he does at end and will probably line up inside on running downs.

Nosa Equae - Nosa will start at DE and could be a beast. He played well last year and made some very good plays. Nosa is also a scholar student and will more than likely be the leader on our new rebuilt defense this year. I look for him to cause havoc on oposing QB's this fall.

Angelo Blackson - Angelo was a Juco pick up this year and what little I know about him, I read on the summer practice reports. Some of our guys said that Angelo is un-blockable at times. Nosa was comparing him to Nick and said his story is very similar. We will see if he can live up to those expectations.

Sammie Coates - Sammie will be a freshman wide out but from what I hear, he is burning up summer practices. Lots of speed and very good hands. With only one true starter returning at wide out for us (Emory Blake), Sammie could be a starter along with Trovon Reed.

Quan Bray - Quan is the 2010 commit who is known for his Warrr Eguall babeeeee after he committed to Auburn at the Under Armor game. He is also the kid whose mother was murdered a few months back in LaGrange Ga. Word is that his dad was the trigger man. He has been doing very well in practice this summer and I just cant help but to pull for this kid.

Tre Mason - Tre will be a true freshman running back and will more than likely get some carries along with Dyer. Tre was a high 4 * recruit and was looked as one of the best running backs last year. The kid has really worked on his fitness and looks to be another on of Auburns great backs. The picture below is of him and it looks like he has been working out well this summer.

x2_750b797

Spot on spots :cheers: Great write up, I look for a good but not great year if we can steal one or two that would be nice , but a tough road to hoe for sure WDE

LanierSpots

omgxk2.gif

Les Miles

Banned
Where is your LSU write up grass man?

I'll have to post it later. This week is a staycation week for me and my boys so I may not be on here as much. But I'll try to get it posted soon. :D

BTW - I was reading up on #56 Anthony "Freak" Johnson the other day. That boy is a going to be a beast. An every down DT who's motor never quits. Can't wait to see him in action. :fine:

F789013.jpg