All right you long range experts....

ONLY of the cartridges listed, what would you use for long range white tail hunting?

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • .25-06

Votes: 8 7.2%

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • 7mm-08

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 7mm Mag

Votes: 36 32.4%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • .30-06

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • .300 Win Mag

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

Well looking at some ballistic tables I guess the .300 really is in a league by itself when you compare energy at 400 yards (for example). Some of the others can't quite muster 1,000 lbs at that range (for bullets I'd likely use) and the .300 is about TWICE that. :eek:
Besides that, it looks like the .270 (by far my most accurate rifle as well) holds it's own with everything else. Some more studying to do I guess... :rolleyes:
Delton, all good tips. I need to shoot that 7mm I guess....
Randy, my 7-08 has a short barrel so I'll have to play with it with the chrono (assuming I can figure out how to use it) to test velocity but I don't think my gun is really a candidate. I hear what you are saying about hunting. But let's be honest, a deer walking out in a clear cut (or pasture) that is shot at 80 yards or 400 yards still just got sniped either way. But that's a different discussion.
I have never 'lost' a deer and don't plan on it now, this is just preliminary homework. PLENTY of prep (range time and load tinkering) would happen before I ever attempted a long range shot. Just like PLENTY of prep went into my very first shot at a whitetail, which was less than 150 yards away. :)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

NotaVegetarian

.30 calibers will give you better performance at the longer ranges. Honestly you are looking at harvesting an animal. Your smaller and lighter bullets .270 (7MM) or smaller, yes have flat trajectories, and most use a 140 grain bullet but not the kinetic energy of a .30. With the .30 calibers you will mostly see heavier projectile weights from around 165 grain and up shooting just as flat, less wind drift, and in some cases nearly twice the kinetic energy down range. Each of us has they’re own favorites, some of us with a safe full of guns from years of collecting. Others only have the experience of only one, gun, one cartridge. You have a very respectable collection, a stable of champions on any range in my book. You will have to decide which you will have the most confidence in. :flag:

stumpman

Banned
If long range is 350 yrds or more i would use my 7mm mag under 350 my 270 has handled the job several times out there either one is good.

stumpman

Banned
If long range is 350 yrds or more i would use my 7mm mag under 350 my 270 we call it the wodow maker has handled the job several times out there either one is good.

Schulze

I will use a 308 out to 650 yards.

Iwill use a 300 win mag with 200 grain SMK's at 2950 out to 1100 yards.

I will use a 338 RUM or Lapua with 300 grain SMK at 2900 out to 1500.

Yes I do not have a problem with properly skilled hunters shooting deer at 1500 yards. The people that do it are not your 20 rounds a year hunters.

This is my lowest round count year at right around 300. None shot closer than 600 yards.

Buzz

Randy said:
I must first haev a definition of long range shooting. Under 350 I take my trusty 7mm-08 over 350, if I were to even attempt a shot, would be the 7mm Mag. But IMO anyhing over abotu 300 is not hunting it is just target shooting. You don't really have to "hunt" anything to get it within 350 yards!

Have you ever done any plains hunting? It really does take a very different rifle to hunt antelope in Wyoming or Colorado and Dall Sheep or Mountain goat in Alaska than it does to hunt whitetail deer in the Southeast. In those cases, 300 yards would be a close shot because you have very little cover to break up your profile. There are circumstances if you don't have a rifle you can shoot accurately at 400 yards you might as well stay home. You will first SEE game a mile away and you will have to stalk \ crawl to get within shooting range. It's a lot harder to get within several hundred yards than you might think.

Schulze

Also, If I had to have 1 rifle for out west DEER and Eastern LONG bean field.

Winchester mod 70 LA, Hart 6.5 cal 1:8 twist chambered in 6.5-06, shooting 142 SMk's at 2950 + good to 1000yds

also sitting in a Mcmillan A3 stock with medium sniper fill.

Interestingly enough this is the rifle I hope to get built around feburary.

GeauxLSU

Schulze said:
I will use a 308 out to 650 yards.

Iwill use a 300 win mag with 200 grain SMK's at 2950 out to 1100 yards.

I will use a 338 RUM or Lapua with 300 grain SMK at 2900 out to 1500.

Yes I do not have a problem with properly skilled hunters shooting deer at 1500 yards. The people that do it are not your 20 rounds a year hunters.

This is my lowest round count year at right around 300. None shot closer than 600 yards.
Schulze,
Though I won't doubt your accuracy at those ranges, what kind of velocity and energy are those bullets going to have at the stated ranges? ::huh: I can't imagine hardly anything. My ballistics tables don't go that far... :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Buzz

Phil, the problem I have with Schulze logic is not his distance but his choice of bullets. The Sierra Matchking is not a hunting bullet and doesn't fare well in ballistic media tests. From the testing I have done (as well as quite a few articles I have read), it has a very narrow velocity window where they can be counted on for proper expansion. They often explode at moderately high velocities and act like solids under 2300 fps. Many people are happy with them as hunting bullets, but when the company themselves emphatically tells you not to use them on game that is enough for me.

Here is what happens to MatchKings. This is a .30 caliber 180g bullet. The top imact velocity is 2600 fps and the lowest is 2000 fps. As you can see, not a very good hunting bullet.

1276985SierraMatchKing.jpg

I would also like to point out there is a big difference between shooting 600 or 1000+ yards at a shooting range (or your South Georgia \ Alabama \ Florida farm) than firing a round across a canyon or the side of a mountain where you could have elevation change, you don't have wind flags, and you really aren’t 100% sure of the distance.

huntfish

Practice, Practice! As you say, Long range is long range (>400 yds). Practice is the key for that range. I've shot and killed deer/antelope beyond 400 yards. In all cases, I was comfortable at that range.

Om the other hand, I won enough bets against "shooters" at the range at distances > 300 yards just to HIT the target at 300 yards.

Schulze

GTtalk to the guys on longrangehunting.com talk to all the people I know that use SMKS.

The 180 SMK is not the best 30 cal SMK out there. In 308 175 in 06 190.

H

HT2

Phil.....

For no further than I can shoot.......

I'll stick with my 7MM........I like's it.... :clap:

Muygrande

Staunch .25-06 supporter, but if I know it's gonna be long the .300's are my choice killed two last year froom 438 to 465 with my Win mag.

Dub

Personally, I'd go with the 300 Win Mag. You are more apt to find a "shooter" amoung any of the rifles you get that are chambered in it. The 180 grainer will carry the load way on out there.

Nothing wrong with the 7mmMag, either. It is easier on your shoulder as well.

1st choice would be the 300.

RJY66

Up to 500 yards, the standard caliber will get the job done if you are capable of hitting something that far away, and you said you did not like recoil.

A .280 with a 140 grain or .270 with 130 grain would be my choice for a long range deer gun. It would be flatter than a .300 mag with a 180 grain, and still have enough energy to take a deer at 500 yards, only 324 lbft less than the magnum round per Rem's ballistics tables (in the .280's case).

The only thing wrong with the .280 is finding one in a rifle you like. The .270 does not have that problem.

You are looking at a pretty good bit of bullet drop at 500 yards regardless of what you shoot.

Jorge

Man this is an old thread. Even includes a couple of banned members. However, considering that I did not vote in it originally, I voted for the 300 WM given the distances of over 400 yards that are mentioned.

raghorn

the longest shot I've ever taken was just a shade under 350 yds. and it was a run of the mill .30-06 Remington Autoloader. Just know the ballistics for what you are using, and that .25-06 of yours that you love so much is perfectly capable of making kills at the ranges you quoted.

GeauxLSU

raghorn said:
the longest shot I've ever taken was just a shade under 350 yds. and it was a run of the mill .30-06 Remington Autoloader. Just know the ballistics for what you are using, and that .25-06 of yours that you love so much is perfectly capable of making kills at the ranges you quoted.
Man this is an old post. I did in fact shoot one over 300 yards that year ('04) with the 25-06. Not a problem. :D

LJay

Retired Mod
You been digging in the graveyard haven't you Dub?
But, My long range weapon is a Remington Model 700 Classic chambered in Win. .264 Magnum /w 140 grain bullets. Reach out and touch one!!!!!!

Lead Poison

Out of the choices you've given...I recommend the following

Cartridge: 7mm Remington Magnum
(Shooting 140 gr. bullets @ 3100 fps or 150 gr. bullets @3000 fps. the 7mm Rem. Mag. is extremely flat shooting and its recoil is much less than that of the 300 Win. Mag).

Bullet: Nosler 140 gr. Accubond
(This bullet shoots as good as the Ballistic Tip, however, its jacket and core are bonded together, which means the jacket and core hold together better instead of separating. It should retain its weight better than the Ballistic Tip, thus penetrating better, while still producing extremely good accuracy in most rifles).

Favorite rifles:
Sako 75 Grey Wolf stainless/laminated
Remington 700 LSS stainless/laminated, Timney Trigger

Latest posts